Author Topic: I DESPISE Steam and everyone involved  (Read 7468 times)

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
Re: I DESPISE Steam and everyone involved
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2013, 02:14:22 pm »
I dunno the thing about War Z was the packaging in a sense was a LIE. IE they said 400 km world and it's only 75

Good thing they were giving out refunds, I suppose.

Steam is giving refunds.

The WarZ devs are actively ignoring those asking for refunds from them directly.

Valve should take action. And by "take action" I mean "unleash Gordon Freeman to break their kneecaps with a crowbar".
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Distind

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, 04:52:55 pm »
They have been trying to make up the craptastic SotS 2 release by giving away the upgrades for free. It's pretty much working order now at least, but its still very different from the original. What's the other game you've had issues with? Maybe I can help.
I've managed, I've just gotten completely fed up with their release tendencies. I shouldn't have to unfuck software manually on release day. Betas, sure, 10 years later, sure, release day, no.

Offline dietcokewithlemon

• Neonate
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 09:27:24 am »
OP here.

I gave up trying to get Steam to do anything and messed around with minecraft xbox instead. fun. built a castle.
Lots of comments that seem to imply/state it is my fault and Steam are wonderful.  For all those expert fanboys who helpfully suggested that Steam works fine....

1) My PC is a less than 6 months old Dell Inspiron - about as off the shelf as you can get - running latest windows. The only change is the addition of a pretty good graphics card. All of the games I mentioned are WELL within my machine's hardware specs. Steam does not like my current machine or indeed any machine I have ever owned. My PC is not the problem.

2) My internet service is 20M supplied through my cable TV. I live in the city centre of a major European city with first rate infrastructure. My internet connection is not the problem.

3) I am a software developer with a professional career spanning back to the mid nighties. I also have an honours degree in electronics. My technical skills are not the problem.

My problem is not that games necessarily crash or are buggy. My problem is that Steam refuses to run them in the first place. Games simply don't start and Steam frequently acts up. Some titles run for a few minutes and then bomb out when trying to communicate with the Steam site. I have sent several requests to technical support and have only ever received an automated reply. NOT ONCE have Steam ever actually bothered to fix any of my problems or answer any of my questions.

As for the suggestion that Steam is the only sure fire way to fight piracy. Is it? Customers buy the product and are unable to use it. How does shitting on your customers fight piracy?

Offline dietcokewithlemon

• Neonate
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 09:44:16 am »
Clearly my rant was just a rant. I obviously do not literally want everyone involved with Steam to be executed. That would be cruel and impractical, not to mention illegal in most civilised countries. I believe the UN has declared collective punishment to be illegal under international law.

I would also like to thank everyone who told me to calm down or take a chill pill. When someone has a real complaint it is always helpful to suggest that they are emotionally disturbed or suffering from some kind of breakdown. As it happens, when I wrote that I was smoking top quality Cheese skunk and couldn't have been more chilled if I sitting in a bath of ice on Titan.

My annoyance was that of someone who has worked in the IT industry for many years and is disgusted at the sheer lack of professionalism and common courtesy displayed by Steam towards its customers. I have bought games through Steam and been unable to play them. Any attempts to contact technical support have been ignored. I have not been offered a refund or any kind of solution yet Steam still has my hard earned money.

Distind

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 09:50:48 am »
So windows 8?

If so that might explain why I haven't seen the steam glitches myself, I'm on Seven. However, Steam's business policies are stated up front, and they typically link to a forum typically seperate from the publisher and a metacritic score if anyone bothered to review it. If neither are there, typically there's a reason. They give plenty of chances to look something up before a purchase, and it's not like you can return hard copies of games once they've been opened anyway. I'm not going to say the policies are great, but generally speaking when something is utterly nonfunctional or packed full of blatant lies(Sots2, WarZ)  they've at least offered a refund, if your pursue it hard enough.

For practical fixes you might want to check out paradox's forums, their fans are so used to bugs the tech support forums generally have running lists of dissagreeable hardware. It could well be you've got an oddball graphics card they never bother to test even if your drivers are up to date. Steam can't make paradox's business practices suck less short of no longer selling their games, which I might advocate for, but I doubt it'd actually happen.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, 11:25:17 am »
Clearly my rant was just a rant. I obviously do not literally want everyone involved with Steam to be executed. That would be cruel and impractical, not to mention illegal in most civilised countries. I believe the UN has declared collective punishment to be illegal under international law.

I would also like to thank everyone who told me to calm down or take a chill pill. When someone has a real complaint it is always helpful to suggest that they are emotionally disturbed or suffering from some kind of breakdown. As it happens, when I wrote that I was smoking top quality Cheese skunk and couldn't have been more chilled if I sitting in a bath of ice on Titan.

My annoyance was that of someone who has worked in the IT industry for many years and is disgusted at the sheer lack of professionalism and common courtesy displayed by Steam towards its customers. I have bought games through Steam and been unable to play them. Any attempts to contact technical support have been ignored. I have not been offered a refund or any kind of solution yet Steam still has my hard earned money.

So you're in Europe and running Windows 8. Not knowing any of European individuals that well, it might be something involved with the steam region in your country since there's different regions for steam that operate a little differently. Might be something with 8 as well, but I can't be sure of that.

That said, last time I used Steam technical support they got my problem resolved in less than 48 hours, which is pretty good when I'm only communicating by e-mail.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2013, 03:46:19 pm »
Dude, it's definitely either your computer or the people who made the game.

And since you said you have problems with Steam itself... it's your computer.

I don't fucking care how new your computer it, new doesn't always mean "good".

Also, Dell.  there's your problem right there.  Or Windows 8.  That could be it, too.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Saturn500

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, 05:24:21 pm »
Also, Dell.  there's your problem right there.  Or Windows 8.  That could be it, too.

What's weird is, my Alienware computer has been serving me surprisingly well, despite being a Dell computer. Maybe they made mine not suck by accident.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2013, 06:05:29 pm »
Dude, it's definitely either your computer or the people who made the game.

And since you said you have problems with Steam itself... it's your computer.

I don't fucking care how new your computer it, new doesn't always mean "good".

This. That said, I'm running on an Asus laptop with Windows 8 and have no issues with it. Any issues with Steam itself are probably regional.

Also, seconding the pointing out of Dell. Dells are generally terrible. Their gaming branch (Alienware) is allegedly pretty good and I've heard good things about the XPS series, but I still wouldn't trust them due to being Dell.
Who needs a signature?

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2013, 08:04:05 am »
I think Valve said Windows 8 is unusable due to being closed shop