Author Topic: I DESPISE Steam and everyone involved  (Read 7501 times)

Distind

Re: I DESPISE Steam and everyone involved
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 07:57:44 pm »
Steam only distributes the product they're given. It's not their job to make it work.
Though I would like them to vet their products a bit more. Having at least one person install something and make sure it plays at all would be kinda nice.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 09:43:17 pm »
Steam is shit and I hope Valve and all its employees burn in a chemical fire. I know some people like it but I have bought several games from them over the years and none have worked properly.

Europa Universalis 3 is now finally playable offline - it wan't for a long time - but I still have to block automatic updates or it screws my machine. Gave it another try one holiday a couple of years ago and to my amazement it worked.

Mount and Blade Warband is now playable but was not for the first year where it sat idly on my machine, happily crashing 15 minutes in. I only gave it another try when I had the flu and time to kill. Thanks Valve for whatever update you finally made that enabled me to play a game I purchased with my hard earned money in good faith.

Trying to play Crusader Kings 2 but no luck. Almost an hour so far and I just can't get it to run. Occassionally on holidays or when ill I give it a try and waste an afternoon trying to start a game I bought in a shop but have never actually played. Someday perhaps...

A: All of those are paradox made or produced. Steam and valve are in no way responsible for the content herewithin unless they misrepresent the product upon the steam store. Warz buyers got refunds over that.

B: I do not know what issues you had, but all the games you mentioned have played fine on my computers without issue unless they didn't meet the specs for the game.

C: Try paradox technical FAQ for support over this issue and see if anyone else has had a similar issue.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 01:05:32 am »
Paradox games are always horribly buggy upon release. Paradox tries to cut costs on play-testing by having you do it (niche game company, they whine). That's the downside of Paradox's close connections with their consumer base. If you talk to Paradox- not Steam- I guarantee you the bug will be fixed in the next update.

Steam still sucks, but they're not at fault here.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 02:44:16 am »
Pic
We've got to turn it off,

Flip a switch.

Light up the night!

There is a city that this darkness can't hide.
There are the embers of a fire that's gone out,
But I can still feel the heat on my skin
This mess we're in, well you and I,
maybe you and I,
We can still make it right.

Maybe we can bring back the light.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpSHC1dqX1o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpSHC1dqX1o</a>

No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 03:15:06 am »
Pic
Light up the Night

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VDuLiqCmDE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VDuLiqCmDE</a>

dietcokewithlemon kicked the motorcycle's engine back to life. He spun the bike and raced towards the city. Passing under the cold glow of Big Picture screen after menacing Big Picture screen. Reports coming in of an incident in customer support. Reports of an armed assailant. Reports of a growing threat to gaming safety.

"Climb."

"Climb."

dietcokewithlemon tore through the streets. A missile aimed at the Valve logo towering above the city. The great steel valve holding back the freedom of online gaming. The main telescreen showing Big Picture was designed to be visible from almost anywhere in the city. The destruction of that screen would be felt by every man and every woman in the city. He thought of the children. How, for the first time, they would know a world without Steam, without instant updating, without always online mode. Without the constant, mind-numbing barrage of gaben memes. Silence. Had he ever encountered silence? Soon.

"Climb to the top of the world."

The street was ending. dietcokewithlemon revved the engine. No hesitation. No fear. The motorcycle bounded over the curb, launched off the steps in front of the tower, and landed jarringly upon the hard, slick marble of the plaza. Losing traction, the tires skidded out ahead of the heavy iron frame. The bike pitched. dietcokewithlemon kicked hard against the bike. Inertia kept him glued to it. He rolled over on to his stomach and clawed frantically at the smooth marble, trying to slow himself.

"And as you stand tall, you will see..."

The bike would not be slowed. It slid rapidly toward the main entrance. The steel doors secured tightly for the evening. The wheels caught on the final few steps leading up to the doors. The bike spun upright and left the marble floor. 600 pounds of iron and chrome roared, end over end, towards the entrance, crashed into the steel doors, and exploded. dietcokewithlemon's momentum halted just inches from the steps. Sirens erupted around him.

"That when you fall..."

He pushed himself to his feet and ran towards the flames. Hurdling the mangled carcass of the bike, he entered the tower lobby and headed for the stairs. Flight after flight, dietcokewithlemon took two and three steps at a time. His chest nearly collapsed under the strain. His legs never hesitated. Finally, he reached the door leading to the roof. dietcokewithlemon kicked hard and stepped into the cool night air. There he was.  Gaben sitting upon his throne with his overpowering girth. He had to act quickly. He threw his bag down and reached for the chocolate pudding. Reaching inside, he grabbed and threw it with all his might. Gaben reacted like lightning, swallowing it down without a hint of mercy. But it was too much to handle, Gaben began to reach critical mass.  dietcokewithlemon quickly darted back toward the stairs.

"You will fall from a height most men will never reach."

He'd taken three long strides when the explosion ripped his feet from the tarred roof. dietcokewithlemon didn't hear the explosion. The shock wave of the blast knocked him unconscious instantaneously.

Stu had nearly reached the plaza. He watched as the flames erupted from the top of the shimmering tower, setting aglow the clouds above. Among the debris cast off the bulding by the explosion, he spotted what could only be a human body, twisting lifelessly as it plummeted towards the earth. Stu held onto the hope that the falling body was not the one he feared it must be. As it approached the ground, Stu's fears were confirmed as he made out the glare of the flames above reflected in a scarred blast shield. He watched as dietcokewithlemon's body landed with a dull thump upon the small patch of grass in a courtyard on the south side of the building.

By the time Stu had reached the boy's body, a crowd had gathered. As he stood in the center of the circle of onlookers, another explosion rattled the ground. Then another. And another. In the distance he could see, one by one, the telescreens splintering and erupting into flames.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 12:44:58 pm »
Steam only distributes the product they're given. It's not their job to make it work.
Though I would like them to vet their products a bit more. Having at least one person install something and make sure it plays at all would be kinda nice.
They really should have done that with War Z

Distind

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 02:22:41 pm »
And at least two other games I bought this year, both from paradox, surprise surprise.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 03:57:44 pm »
I dunno the thing about War Z was the packaging in a sense was a LIE. IE they said 400 km world and it's only 75

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 07:03:55 pm »
I'm a huge fan of Steam, and I almost never have problems with it. OK, right now, it isn't working on my desktop, but neither are a bunch of other programs. I need a new desktop.

And yes, Paradox does tend to release their games in a buggy state.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline FirsthandTuna

• Pope
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 07:08:44 pm »
I dunno the thing about War Z was the packaging in a sense was a LIE. IE they said 400 km world and it's only 75

Good thing they were giving out refunds, I suppose.
"Fraudulent ONEness of religious academia has retarded your opposite rationale brain to a half brain slave." - The Wisest Man Who Ever Lived

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2013, 10:02:59 pm »

Steam is giving refunds.

The WarZ devs are actively ignoring those asking for refunds from them directly.

Offline FirsthandTuna

• Pope
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2013, 10:17:34 pm »

Steam is giving refunds.

The WarZ devs are actively ignoring those asking for refunds from them directly.

That's what I meant.
"Fraudulent ONEness of religious academia has retarded your opposite rationale brain to a half brain slave." - The Wisest Man Who Ever Lived

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 02:13:34 am »
How the hell did the devs get away with that? They seem right assholes- or maybe just the chief dev, I'm not sure.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2013, 02:15:26 am »
How the hell did the devs get away with that? They seem right assholes- or maybe just the chief dev, I'm not sure.

Well, their game was removed from Steam.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2013, 11:02:50 am »
And at least two other games I bought this year, both from paradox, surprise surprise.

They have been trying to make up the craptastic SotS 2 release by giving away the upgrades for free. It's pretty much working order now at least, but its still very different from the original. What's the other game you've had issues with? Maybe I can help.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying