Author Topic: Four day School Weeks?  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
Four day School Weeks?
« on: February 19, 2013, 08:23:54 pm »
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/alberta-school-board-looking-cram-full-school-week-203307476.html

The school board in Fort McMurray wants to try cutting costs by having students go to school Monday to Thursday, rather than the normal 5 days. Parents are opposed to this for obvious reasons.

Can't the school think of some other way of making some money? Of course, they tried this before and it got shot down, but the government has been known to change its mind...

Art Vandelay

Re: Four day School Weeks?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 08:28:06 pm »
This should really be a no-brainer, give them enough funding to function as they're supposed to. Sure, audit them beforehand just to be sure there's no funny business, but once that's done there's no reason not to.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 12:32:38 am »
They did that in the place I used to live with my ex.  It made no sense to me either.

Ironbite-I know it's one way to cost money but it's just dumb.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 01:08:42 am »
That's what students in Fort McMurray, Alberta's oil sands centre, may hear if the city's public school board votes in favour of a proposal to cut the school week to four days.

Maybe the local government is hoping that by curbing their education they won't notice out how badly the oil sands processing isn't royally fucking up their part of Canada!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 01:13:47 am »
Well, they are extending the school day to make up for it. I can actually see other reasons behind this other than saving money on transportation and such, though.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 04:15:56 am »
Well, they are extending the school day to make up for it. I can actually see other reasons behind this other than saving money on transportation and such, though.

Interesting, if they lengthen the general school day to be longer to make up for the total lost time, it should be roughly equivalent. However, the teachers kid in me knows that children have trouble focusing for that long in school and that longer days has a significantly diminished effect. However, with longer days, I fail to see how they are really saving much money. The biggest cost being payroll will still be there as the teaching hours will be longer.

Seriously though, any country that can afford anything else but not have enough money for its schools needs to seriously re-asses its priorities.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 09:01:46 am »
I was willing to entertain the idea of a four-day school week, before the words 'cutting cost' entered the picture.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 03:19:21 pm »
How about school only one day per week, but teaching really, really hard?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 04:47:16 pm »
The college I went to had a strict four-day work week. But then, that's college.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!