Author Topic: Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 111537 times)

Even Then

Re: Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #300 on: April 21, 2016, 02:16:03 pm »
I honestly can't figure out half of what the latter quote is even trying to say.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #301 on: April 21, 2016, 02:25:58 pm »
Trump was asked about North Carolina's anti-LGBTQ law — specifically, its ban on transgender people using the bathroom in schools and government buildings that aligns with their gender identity. He came out in opposition to North Carolina's law.

"North Carolina did something [that] was very strong, and they're paying a big price, and there's a lot of problems," Trump said at a town hall with the Today show, referring to the "economic punishment" the state is seeing as a result of the law.

Trump then said that North Carolina shouldn't have made changes restricting trans people's bathroom use: "There have been very few complaints the way it is. People go, they use the bathroom that they feel is appropriate, there has been so little trouble."

Asked whether he would let Caitlyn Jenner, a trans woman, use the bathroom of her choice at Trump Tower, he said he would. He added, "There's a big move to create new bathrooms. Problem with that is … first of all, I think that would be discriminatory in a certain way. It would be unbelievably expensive for businesses and for the country. Leave it the way it is."

Seriously North Carolina when Donald fucking Trump is calling out your bigotry you've got a problem.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #302 on: April 21, 2016, 03:42:00 pm »
Maybe he's against the business expense rather than the bigoted spirit of the law?

Somehow Trump doesn't strike me as a trans ally.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #303 on: April 23, 2016, 11:01:19 am »
I honestly can't figure out half of what the latter quote is even trying to say.

Basically, she's saying that when someone is asking a question and that question has a background story, it's best to assume the background is true.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTiSIOtWwOo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTiSIOtWwOo</a>

Here's the video in question.  The question is "is this sexist?".  Whether or not the incident described really happened is irrelevant.  It can still be treated as a hypothetical.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #304 on: May 03, 2016, 10:57:39 am »
Conservatives: Let's go back to the good old times of the 1950s.
1950s: Had 92% income tax for the mega wealthy which allowed for households with a single breadwinner. Had minimum wage high enough to get somebody through college.
Conservatives: No... not that part. The sexism and racism part is the one I like...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #305 on: May 04, 2016, 03:03:16 pm »

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #306 on: May 04, 2016, 03:10:31 pm »

Wil Wheaton recently posted about the exact same thing. Huffington Post is reaching out to people to write for them but they are not offering to pay them anything and instead they unironically talk about how they can offer a lot of "exposure."
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #307 on: May 07, 2016, 02:06:42 am »
This is a video response to some MRA who's spewing shit about people with mental illnesses just being lazy.  It's a good rant with lots of swearing, but in the comments...

Britt Morgan1 year ago
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks he's an asshole!
Reply14     
 ryan eko
ryan eko6 months ago
+Britt Morgan Anytime someone wants to tell you something you don't want to hear, it can be hard to swallow. But sometimes the truth isn't pretty. Pretty lies will get you nowhere in life.
 Britt Morgan
Britt Morgan5 months ago
+ryan eko If I told you that you had a small dick, does that make it true? I'm sure you don't want to hear it. It that hard to swallow?

Just because someone says something to me that I don't like, doesn't mean that it's also true. You could have the biggest dick in the world, but because I said your dick was small, it must be true. People are misguided and ignorant all the time.

Logic is a crazy thing.
Show less

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #308 on: May 07, 2016, 04:48:34 am »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-z-danielewski/why-im-not-going-to-ashev_b_9824946.html

One of my favorite writers cancelled his recent visit to Asheville, NC because of all the B.S. laws.  And while he admits he's not a big name like Bruce, he still had to make a statement.

What followed were loads of comments from people living in Asheville, stating they not only oppose the laws but are fighting to get them removed (Apparently, the book store he was going to visit is a major site for meetings about the law).

I honestly hope this is true.  My parents are planning to move to Asheville in a few years when they retire and we might follow.  I'd personally prefer MA or PA, but NC looks to be the farthest I can move north and stay with my work.  If it is true, then I'm glad the people in NC or at least in Asheville are more open-minded than the those in charge.

Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #309 on: May 07, 2016, 03:59:26 pm »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-z-danielewski/why-im-not-going-to-ashev_b_9824946.html

One of my favorite writers cancelled his recent visit to Asheville, NC because of all the B.S. laws.  And while he admits he's not a big name like Bruce, he still had to make a statement.

What followed were loads of comments from people living in Asheville, stating they not only oppose the laws but are fighting to get them removed (Apparently, the book store he was going to visit is a major site for meetings about the law).

I honestly hope this is true.  My parents are planning to move to Asheville in a few years when they retire and we might follow.  I'd personally prefer MA or PA, but NC looks to be the farthest I can move north and stay with my work.  If it is true, then I'm glad the people in NC or at least in Asheville are more open-minded than the those in charge.

They are much better than that. Just like in Georgia, or Texas, or here in Florida. It's the fuckwits who get elected, because they are backed by the rich fuckwits, can drown out the better candidates with way more pol ads, which gets all the fuckwit voters agitated on out to the polls in swarms.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #310 on: May 10, 2016, 01:05:44 am »

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #311 on: May 10, 2016, 01:33:34 am »
This should be taught in every high school on the planet.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #312 on: May 10, 2016, 02:08:15 am »
^^ Amen to that.

Saw this on a satire site called The Beaverton.  Context for non-Canadians, Ezra Levant is sort of the Canadian equivalent of Rush Limbaugh or Bill O'Reilly and a general purpose racist shitstain.  Also there are some very big fires in Alberta right now.

Right-wing pundit Ezra Levant says he has detailed evidence of a coordinated plot by Syrian refugees living across Canada.  The RebelTV founder published dozens of tweets, written in Arabic, outlining a conspiracy by the newly resettled Muslims to unleash huge amounts food, shelter, and money out of their own pockets on unsuspecting families displaced by the fires in Fort McMurray.

“We always knew these people were coming here with an agenda,” explained Levant. “Now we finally know what it is: to take advantage of the kindness and generosity of hard working Canadians, and then, when we’re most vulnerable, reciprocate it tenfold.”

Levant added that it’s only a matter of time before refugees start recruiting their Canadian-born neighbors to collude with them.

“The Qur’an clearly states that ‘Nothing shall ensure the welfare of your religion except generosity and good disposition,’” warned the Rebel Media founder.  “If this keeps up, pretty soon we’ll be living in a country that views Islam as an important part of our cultural mosaic, and Muslims as actual human beings instead of outlets for our anxiety caused by pervasive fear mongering from race baiting assholes.”

« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 02:09:47 am by Skybison »

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #313 on: May 12, 2016, 03:03:21 am »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #314 on: May 12, 2016, 03:14:39 am »
The Lebanon one is a bit misleading, since the President of Lebanon is almost always a Maronite Christian, except for these three people (who were or are only acting Presidents): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selim_Hoss, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fouad_Siniora, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tammam_Salam.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.