Author Topic: PETA trolling for dollars in court  (Read 1482 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
PETA trolling for dollars in court
« on: September 23, 2015, 03:02:17 pm »
Meet Naruto, a cheeky macaque who purloined a wild life photographer's camera and "took" selfies with it. Simians and primates other than humans grimace when feeling nervous or threatened, they don't "smile" out of happiness. Naruto was probably a bit nervous of the sounds the camera made while he held this interesting object.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/offbeat/monkey-who-took-grinning-selfie-should-own-copyright-us-lawsuit/ar-AAeDuuo?ocid=U147DHP

(click to show/hide)

PETA asked the court to declare Naruto the author and copyright owner of the photos, and to award the monkey damages.

It also sought a court order letting PETA and a noted primatologist, Dr. Antje Engelhardt of Georg-August University, Gottingen, Germany, administer Naruto's rights on condition that all proceeds be used solely for the benefit of him, his family and community, "including the preservation of their habitat."

This is like a trustee or guardianship situation; PETA would be in possession of the copyrighted photos' royalty funds in order to "administer". Knowing their track record, this is where we see the other motivation, besides stirring shit up for publicity and the extra donations that always result from that.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
Re: PETA trolling for dollars in court
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 03:05:36 pm »
Honestly? I hope PETA wins. Not because I have any sympathy for the terroristic fucks, but because it would be a real demonstration of how problematic our copyright laws have become in this country.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 03:11:47 pm »
No shit. And how patent trolls unintentionally make a case for open source everything.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 10:38:20 pm »
PETA's all about the green, just the wrong shade.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 11:37:48 pm »
The monkey's name is Naruto. I don't really have anything else to say, I just wanted to point out that somebody named the monkey Naruto.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 11:46:04 pm »
Hopefully he shoves a Rasengan in Ingrid Newkirk's face.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer