Author Topic: About Daesh's Monument-Destroying.....  (Read 4676 times)

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
Re: About Daesh's Monument-Destroying.....
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 03:00:04 pm »
The point is you're still funding ISIS, because they can still use the money if it's good enough to fool them. Plus of course incentivising them to kidnap more people/steal more artifacts/etc.

Well, can you think of any BETTER ideas?

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 03:42:47 pm »
The point is you're still funding ISIS, because they can still use the money if it's good enough to fool them. Plus of course incentivising them to kidnap more people/steal more artifacts/etc.

capture 'em, crucify 'em, post the pics on the islamist web.

[/niam]
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 09:41:27 pm »

I feel like you're implying that I'm doing something wrong by shooting down your idea without proposing an alternative?

Which is odd. If this was an everyday situation where we're trying to decide where to go for dinner, sure, my attitude would be unproductive. But realistically nothing discussed in this forum will be implemented as a countermeasure to ISIS regardless of what I say. It doesn't matter if I have better ideas to contribute or not (which, let's be honest, I probably don't. I don't have any relevant domain expertise here)

I saw problems in your idea and pointed them out, because that's kind of a thing I do. This is a discussion forum, we discuss things.
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 09:45:18 pm »
Is there some way we could come up with cash that turns into blank paper after a few hours?

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2015, 11:56:25 pm »
Hmm, now that actually gave me an idea. The government quietly recruits counterfeiters to give FAKE tracked money.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 04:28:41 am »
The absolute last thing you want to do is invade. There is no one thing you could do to make the situation worse than send in an American soldier. Eventually the conflict will come to an end, we'll end out juvenile ginned-up paranoia about a small-time crime gang like ISIS and we can find some other boogey man to scare us out of our boots (Ebola! No, Russia SAMs! No, North Korean mini-subs!).

"Small-time crime gangs" don't commit genocide.  Really, they're the Islamic equivalent of the Khmer Rouge.

Derp.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2015, 05:05:14 am »
The absolute last thing you want to do is invade. There is no one thing you could do to make the situation worse than send in an American soldier. Eventually the conflict will come to an end, we'll end out juvenile ginned-up paranoia about a small-time crime gang like ISIS and we can find some other boogey man to scare us out of our boots (Ebola! No, Russia SAMs! No, North Korean mini-subs!).

"Small-time crime gangs" don't commit genocide.  Really, they're the Islamic equivalent of the Khmer Rouge.

Derp.
Are you agreeing with UP and saying that you derped or claiming that UP derped and still consider ISIS a "small-time crime gang?"
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 05:57:35 am »

Derp.
Are you agreeing with UP and saying that you derped or claiming that UP derped and still consider ISIS a "small-time crime gang?"

Genocide?

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 07:18:09 am »
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/genocide I'm on my phone so quoting stuff is hard and I already lost this text once but Wiktionary seems to agree that large scale killing, where the victims were chosen based on religion ethnicity or other such reason fits the definition of genocide.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2015, 02:21:48 pm »
Concerning counterfeits, banks & businesses are trained to spot the fakes from the real. If some aren't, they'll get training.

I know, pay for stuff with fake checks, and come up with some fake records so that if the DAESH guys check it, they'll assume it's legit.

Checks can only be used once and it'll take more time to figure out if it's fakey. Once they figure they've been had, the artifacts and gals will be long gone.

Unfortunately this plan can only work for a short while because DAESH will grow wise and avoid checks. However, many women & girls will be freed and antiquities returned.....so it's cool.

Also, send in interlopers who will act as "Harriet Tubman" to the women & girls and STEAL the artifacts from DAESH.

It should be a combo of these methods, constantly rotating in use in order to be more unpredictable to DAESH.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 02:23:59 pm by Barbarella »

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2015, 11:57:42 pm »
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/genocide I'm on my phone so quoting stuff is hard and I already lost this text once but Wiktionary seems to agree that large scale killing, where the victims were chosen based on religion ethnicity or other such reason fits the definition of genocide.

Comparable to Year Zero? Multi-millions dead? I think not.

-FDR

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 12:11:54 am »

Give 'em a few years.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2015, 12:31:34 pm »

What should be the lower limit for deaths in order for something to count as genocide? There are several ethnic groups that could be destroyed completely without the death toll going over a million. Like the Yazidis for example. Who mainly live in Iraq where they are being killed by the ISIS who are trying to exterminate them completely: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3002547/IS-likely-committing-genocide-against-Yazidi-minority-Iraq-UN.html (Some people would call that a genocide, but as there are less than a million of Yazidis in Iraq, and there are a few more of them living outside of Iraq I'm not sure if this counts.)

Also, Express considers ISIS to be committing genocide even if the death toll only reaches thousands of people:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/596970/Islamic-State-commit-genocide-execute-two-thousand-people