Author Topic: Hooters Bomb Threat  (Read 14571 times)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
Re: Hooters Bomb Threat
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 04:59:07 pm »
Right, so everyone thinks this is fine then. Why did you post it in the first place?
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 05:02:17 pm »
Right, so everyone thinks this is fine then. Why did you post it in the first place?

...Because we have a habit of laughing at idiots, such as an idiot who thinks it's fine to joke about bombs after recent bombings?

It's not a very complicated concept for why this would be posted here.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 05:14:43 pm »
Right. So it's the guy who is being unbelievably unreasonable by making an Innocuous Joke (tm). And it's totally fine to tear apart the city for hours in response to every and all recurrences of an Innocuous Joke (tm), even when everyone knows perfectly well that it's an Innocuous Joke (tm) and not a bomb threat at all.

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 05:28:59 pm »
It is a crime to make a false bomb threat, explained LAPD Lt. Andy Neiman.
One wonders why he bothers to clarify "false". Surely it is also a crime if it's a real threat?

@Fred: It is rather the point that people don't know that it's an innocuous joke (capitalized and trademarked or otherwise)*. Also, I would expect it to be general knowledge that (good or bad) the policy of treating every threat as real exists, so it is in fact unreasonable to think you can walk into a public place, announce you have a bomb, and everyone will take it in good humour. Particularly the same week an actual bomb went off.

*I don't know exactly what this person said or did, so I can't judge how obvious it would have been to a reasonable person that it was a joke. Should there be more information on that, I might revise my position.
Σא

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 05:42:35 pm »
Right. So it's the guy who is being unbelievably unreasonable by making an Innocuous Joke (tm). And it's totally fine to tear apart the city for hours in response to every and all recurrences of an Innocuous Joke (tm), even when everyone knows perfectly well that it's an Innocuous Joke (tm) and not a bomb threat at all.

...The point is that not everyone knows for a 100% fact that it's an "Innocuous Joke."

Not to mention, that due to the recent tragedy, it's not "Innocuous" at all.

Fred, quit being dense.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 05:55:11 pm »

...The point is that not everyone knows for a 100% fact that it's an "Innocuous Joke."

Not to mention, that due to the recent tragedy, it's not "Innocuous" at all.

Fred, quit being dense.

Got there before me...

Fred, you may think it's an hysterically funny joke:  Someone else didn't and called the Police.  The Police were told that they guy was claiming to have a bomb.  They didn't find this funny either and reacted like they're supposed to.  What's so hard to understand?
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 06:09:33 pm »
Personally speaking, I'm horrified that we've got this far into a thread about Hooters and there's not been one joke about breasts. :P

Ive been to a Hooters before. Honestly i didn't know where to look when it came to the staff! boooooobbbbbs.

Bloody nice food though.

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 08:09:54 pm »
Personally speaking, I'm horrified that we've got this far into a thread about Hooters and there's not been one joke about breasts. :P

Ive been to a Hooters before. Honestly i didn't know where to look when it came to the staff! boooooobbbbbs.

Bloody nice food though.

There was food?
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2013, 01:31:36 am »
Let's assume that human nature remains the same and people continue making inappropriate or insensitive jokes about bombs, including in private, in their homes, while having dinner and such. Do we just ignore stupid jokes? Or do we always (zero tolerance!) in every case lock down the street, pretend as if bin Laden himself has risen from the grave, even when no threat has in fact been made.

Personally, I don't want to live in a country where I have to watch my words in private lest a police officer or busybody be walking by and decide to stop all commerce for a few hours.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 01:35:49 am by Lt. Fred »

-FDR

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2013, 01:38:58 am »
Let's assume that human nature remains the same and people continue making inappropriate or insensitive jokes about bombs, including in private, in their homes, while having dinner and such. Do we just ignore stupid jokes? Or do we always (zero tolerance!) in every case lock down the street, pretend as if bin Laden himself has risen from the grave, even when no threat has in fact been made.

Personally, I don't want to live in a country where I have to watch my words in private lest a police officer or busybody be walking by and decide to stop all commerce for a few hours.

And I don't want to live in one where people can cry "Bomb!" often enough for police to ignore it the one time that there is, in fact, a bomb.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2013, 01:45:15 am »

Depends on the joke in question. Something like "I hear the marathon business is booming in Boston" is fine. Whereas "hey, I've totally got a bomb in my bag" or "I hear someone put a bomb around here somewhere, haha" is not.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2013, 02:03:21 am »
Making a joke like that makes you an idiot. It doesn't make you a terrorism suspect. If a person had a bomb in their bag, would they be making jokes about it?

-FDR

Art Vandelay

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2013, 02:27:34 am »
Making a joke like that makes you an idiot. It doesn't make you a terrorism suspect. If a person had a bomb in their bag, would they be making jokes about it?
Probably not, but you can never be certain about these things. I don't know about you, but I'd rather a bomb threat be investigated and found to be false than one assumed to be false only for things to go boom a short while later.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2013, 03:18:22 am »
I'm pretty sure the only bombs you'll find at Hooters are the ones left in the bathroom after eating the crappy food...

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2013, 07:23:39 am »

"I have a bomb in this bucket" isn't a joke, you twit. He's outright stating that he has a bomb shortly after a terrorist bombing on the other side of the country and is trying to use the "Just kidding!" excuse after the fact. It was a joke that was worded to sound like a direct threat, and I'm pretty sure the fact that it was after a bombing was intentional because he's a jackass who thinks that kind of joke is funny to make.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.