Author Topic: Ex-LA Cop on a Rampage  (Read 16423 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Ex-LA Cop on a Rampage
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2013, 11:39:21 pm »
Dorner has become the first human target for remotely-controlled airborne drones on US soil.
Woah...
This ought to be interesting.

Unfortunately, I'm willing to bet that Dorner reads the news; as long as he has a smartphone and a way to charge it, he'll have plenty of internet access. He'll likely now be aware that drones with thermal cams are being sent to look for him, which means that he'll be able to figure out ways to avoid them (or at least scour the skies for them).
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2013, 12:31:42 am »
Yes a smart phone...with a built in GPS that you really can't disable....yep.

Ironbite-even if he doesn't....there's always a newspaper.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2013, 01:16:40 am »
Fugitive alleged LAPD-killer is first drone target on U.S. soil
It's official: The drone war has come home to America. Wanted fugitive Christopher Dorner, the homicidal former cop currently at war with the LAPD, has become the first known human target for airborne drones on U.S. soil. Their use was confirmed by Customs and Border Patrol spokesman Ralph DeSio

This could end VERY badly. Police have already shot up 2 different trucks on accident. What happens when a drone targets the wrong person?

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2013, 01:53:26 am »
It doesn't bode well. Drones make poor substitutes for properly trained law enforcement. And for all we know, it could be a ruse. He may have done what he did to make them lose manpower protecting the city that might be otherwise used to search for him. Of course, I might be overthinking it, and forgetting to weigh the sheer number of LEOs in LA and in the surrounding area, not to mention federal involvement in the case.

As for what happens when drones target the wrong people? HEY, let's ask the bystanders' families, you know, the ones in the middle east whose family members had been blown up because the intel got it wrong =D [/sarcasm]

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2013, 02:27:18 am »
It doesn't bode well. Drones make poor substitutes for properly trained law enforcement. And for all we know, it could be a ruse. He may have done what he did to make them lose manpower protecting the city that might be otherwise used to search for him. Of course, I might be overthinking it, and forgetting to weigh the sheer number of LEOs in LA and in the surrounding area, not to mention federal involvement in the case.

As for what happens when drones target the wrong people? HEY, let's ask the bystanders' families, you know, the ones in the middle east whose family members had been blown up because the intel got it wrong =D [/sarcasm]

This fear would be more applicable if these were drones armed with missiles and they were planning on finding his shack out in the woods and blowing it to smithereens. These drones are definitely NOT armed, and will only serve to help track him much like the modern equivalent of a helicopter with a searchlight. They'll still need guys on the ground to follow directions given by the drone operators to reach the target location and make an arrest or kill.

In actuality, the drones may not help at all. They're not magic; if he gets inside a building or cave or even just has the right terrain around him, he'll be blocked completely from the thermal cameras. They can't magically see through walls or hills or trees. They can really only spot him if he's outdoors and exposed, and they work best mostly by making the heat sources high contrast against camouflage. I'm also not sure how the snow will affect the cameras: common sense tells you that they should be black as ink while the guy they're hunting shows up perfectly bright white against it, but I fear that the snow's easy reflection of sunlight may make it even more difficult to locate him outdoors.

And this is all assuming that they can, you know, identify an individual from a thermal camera image. For the record, you can't. Anyone who's looked through a thermal cam (you can go on Youtube and find Apache and AC-130 gunsight footage if you want to see for yourself) can tell you that you can see their silhouettes perfectly fine, but there's no way to identify someone except by extremely obvious signs (like telling the guy with the AK apart from the guy with the RPG, and even then they've mistaken large cameras for weapons before). They'll basically need to scour the area he's in and send a full team of heavily armed and armored soldiers (and probably dogs) out to every single human being they spot in the area and have each one of them individually checked out. Hopefully they won't accidentally shoot anyone, or end up scaring a trigger-happy hunter or camper by showing up with assault rifles and screaming at him.

Yes a smart phone...with a built in GPS that you really can't disable....yep.

Ironbite-even if he doesn't....there's always a newspaper.

Assuming they're even able to track it. No phone can be tracked if the phone is turned off. Most likely, the most they'd be able to get even if they had the necessary equipment specifically tracking his number is an hour or two of location before he shuts his phone off to conserve the battery.

Seeing as how they haven't used it to find him yet, though, he's either being smart and keeping his phone off most of the time or it hasn't even occurred to them.

One other thing I should point out (unrelated to the above) is that he's not necessarily spending his days freezing his ass off in the mountains, hiding under a bush and waiting for a SWAT patrol to walk by so he can blow them up with pipe bombs. Assuming the locals have his face memorized (and are sure enough to call the cops if they spot him), it's not difficult to disguise yourself or act in a way that puts you beneath notice.

AND he still has targets, at least one of which refuses to leave his house. I don't think he's just going to spend the rest of the manhunt sitting in his forest lair. He's got people to kill.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:30:26 am by chitoryu12 »

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2013, 08:32:26 am »
As Chitoryu12 said, the drones aren't armed. I'm not sure they're even using full on Predators, they could be using the smaller hand launched ones. As the article even said, this isn't the first time, the border patrol has been using small drones to track drug smugglers for a while now.

Apparently this guy has a SAM. I don't even want to know what the bill for a blown up Predator is.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2013, 09:17:09 am »
As Chitoryu12 said, the drones aren't armed. I'm not sure they're even using full on Predators, they could be using the smaller hand launched ones. As the article even said, this isn't the first time, the border patrol has been using small drones to track drug smugglers for a while now.

Apparently this guy has a SAM. I don't even want to know what the bill for a blown up Predator is.

I would be REALLY surprised if he had anything more effective for taking down aircraft than an AR-15 with a Leupold. Police don't have access to really anything more explosive than what the bomb squad uses for detonating teddy bears found in empty fields. Missile launchers? Not unless we're Africa all of a sudden.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2013, 04:10:31 pm »
The police are giving a press conference to announce...

... They've filed murder charges against Dorner.

We did not need a press conference for that, thanks. We figured.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2013, 04:36:29 pm »

What was the point?
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2013, 04:44:14 pm »
To fill up awkward silence with a report from the Land of the Obvious, I guess. 

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2013, 07:40:50 pm »

In other news, the United States government has declared 9/11 a terrorist attack.

[/sarcasm]

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2013, 09:53:47 pm »
What's getting on my nerves about this whole thing is the number of people I know who are filling in the blanks in this story with conspiracies. They've got it in their heads that the police are being so aggressive in their search because this guy has some incriminating information that they don't want to get out. I don't buy it. Dorner's already put a letter online explaining his grievances and naming the people he's planning to kill; if he had information that would ruin LAPD's already sketchy reputation, why not publish that as well? It's like they think every single facet of government is in on some conspiracy to kill Americans, and they're simply looking for the right excuse to do so.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2013, 09:58:18 pm »
To fill up awkward silence with a report from the Land of the Obvious, I guess.
I think that's pretty much it. They don't have anything real to report, but they don't want to look like they've given up, so they've gotta say something.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2013, 05:13:31 am »
What's getting on my nerves about this whole thing is the number of people I know who are filling in the blanks in this story with conspiracies. They've got it in their heads that the police are being so aggressive in their search because this guy has some incriminating information that they don't want to get out. I don't buy it. Dorner's already put a letter online explaining his grievances and naming the people he's planning to kill; if he had information that would ruin LAPD's already sketchy reputation, why not publish that as well? It's like they think every single facet of government is in on some conspiracy to kill Americans, and they're simply looking for the right excuse to do so.

Just don't tell them that. Or they may get confused and try to suggest that Dorner is PART of the conspiracy for not having published his information immediately.

And then their brains reboot and they kinda stare slack-jawed into space for a minute.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2013, 10:20:03 am »

What was the point?

The point I think was that while we (the royal we) have been trying him in our minds and conversations with information through the press, that's not quite the same as the police officially charging him with murder. Even though he's an awful human, he's still an American citizen entitled to due process.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.