Author Topic: Awesome Protest Signs  (Read 606216 times)

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
Re: Awesome Protest Signs
« Reply #885 on: January 16, 2013, 09:02:15 pm »

And this is why that's not really awesome.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #886 on: January 16, 2013, 09:45:16 pm »
That quote is out of context

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Margaret_Sanger#Unsourced

"we do not want word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population, and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members"

She didn't want people to think that because it wasn't true.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:47:15 pm by Cataclysm »
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #887 on: January 16, 2013, 09:58:13 pm »
Canadian Mojo's quote may be misquote, but gun control does have a bit of a racist history behind it, and the NRA supported such measures that were motivated by racism of one form or another.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #888 on: January 16, 2013, 10:09:07 pm »
Canadian Mojo's quote may be misquote, but gun control does have a bit of a racist history behind it, and the NRA supported such measures that were motivated by racism of one form or another.
Such as?
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #889 on: January 16, 2013, 10:10:25 pm »

"we do not want word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population, and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members"

She may not have been a racist, but she was a eugenicist.  Needless to say, Planned Parenthood has distanced itself from those views.
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #890 on: January 16, 2013, 10:13:57 pm »
There's a link in my post. That quote is related to the National Firearms Act of 1934, which was put in place in response to the rise of the Prohibition era gangsters. Here's another link about gun control history , and how the NRA and other groups like the Klan support measures over racial fears.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 10:44:22 pm by Empress Nicki »

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #891 on: January 16, 2013, 10:44:09 pm »
I know it's a misquote, but does it really matter? Even if they were her views what she said then is immaterial to what the organization is now. It's no different then making claims about how it was the Republicans who freed the slaves.

It's an even more poignant point to be made when you consider that most of the arguments for gun control are specifically pointed at undermining the validity of the second amendment by saying when it was crafted it was impossible to understand and take into account the needs of modern society and the weapons we have access to. We can't have it both ways, we are either all tied to the lode stone of the past or we are all free of it. Anything else is hypocrisy, regardless of the cause, for better or worse.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #892 on: January 16, 2013, 11:07:40 pm »
I know it's a misquote, but does it really matter? Even if they were her views what she said then is immaterial to what the organization is now. It's no different then making claims about how it was the Republicans who freed the slaves.

We're not saying that the current NRA is for gun control. It's more like this image

I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #893 on: January 16, 2013, 11:23:16 pm »

We're not saying that the current NRA is for gun control. It's more like this image

Not quite the quote...

Quote from: Dwight D. Eisenhower
Now it is true that I believe this country is following a dangerous trend when it permits too great a degree of centralization of governmental functions. I oppose this -- in some instances the fight is a rather desperate one. But to attain any success it is quite clear that the Federal government cannot avoid or escape responsibilities which the mass of the people firmly believe should be undertaken by it. The political processes of our country are such that if a rule of reason is not applied in this effort, we will lose everything -- even to a possible and drastic change in the Constitution. This is what I mean by my constant insistence upon "moderation" in government. Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H. L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #894 on: January 17, 2013, 12:50:38 am »

She may not have been a racist, but she was a eugenicist.  Needless to say, Planned Parenthood has distanced itself from those views.

Not quite. She was happy to use other people's belief in eugenics as a tool in favour of abortion rights.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #895 on: January 17, 2013, 01:05:48 am »

Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #896 on: January 17, 2013, 01:28:09 am »

Is it odd that I can actually hear this in Wonka's own voice?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #897 on: January 17, 2013, 04:59:15 am »
And don't forget flag burning.  Funny how flag burning and SSM should be covered under the First Amendment (I'm not sure where/if abortions are covered by an amendment), but those get ignored.  So the First Amendment is open to interpretation but the Second must be followed to the letter. 

Of course, considering those who say that usually say the same thing about their precious little bibles.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #898 on: January 17, 2013, 07:29:34 am »

I've seen people quote that entire sentence and the one before it in anti-abortion propaganda, and cite it as "evidence" that Sanger was buying off ministers and having them lie their asses off about her secret plans for genocide.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #899 on: January 17, 2013, 10:25:42 am »

She may not have been a racist, but she was a eugenicist.

Perhaps she was. But it was at a time in history when eugenics was a strong pop-psyc  thing. Like sort of the equivalent of a Dr. Phil. It wasn't like she was some sort of lone wackjob with out there beliefs at the time. Much like if you were to read the works of Sam Clements today. Pretty damn racist, right? But probably not for the time.

Sorry, I just hate to see the past being abused this way.

ETA: Sorry, that wasn't at you, Dragon.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.