Author Topic: Awesome Protest Signs  (Read 606179 times)

Offline Yla

• The Beast
Re: Awesome Protest Signs
« Reply #1470 on: August 27, 2013, 06:36:59 pm »

I'm not sure there's a way to move from the currency economy with it so widespread now but it's wishful thinking.
What is this even about?
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1471 on: August 27, 2013, 06:40:28 pm »
The fact that you have to pay to live at all?

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #1472 on: August 27, 2013, 07:12:51 pm »
Yeah, but it's not like people would grow food and give it away for free
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1473 on: August 27, 2013, 07:13:52 pm »
Hence my caption.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #1474 on: August 27, 2013, 07:40:36 pm »
Interestingly, if I had the room and time to invest, I'd have a garden.  And I'd give away the extra.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1475 on: August 27, 2013, 10:24:35 pm »

&

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #1476 on: August 27, 2013, 10:27:07 pm »
Interestingly, if I had the room and time to invest, I'd have a garden.  And I'd give away the extra.
I have the room, but not the time, money, or skill. My family is notorious for killing unkillable plants.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #1477 on: August 28, 2013, 12:13:36 am »
Yeah, you know, there's a reason we don't grow food in our back gardens and build our shelters out of mud bricks and wood anymore.

That's the same reason we use money.

(I don't really care for the inequalities money create, but they're still better than "we have steel swords and you don't, give us your food and die" inequalities of the past. There are two ways to imagine a world without money : back to before-bronze-age standarts or post-scarcity world. I'd rather focus on the latter and try to do damage control in the meantime, that keep looking back at the former with nostalgia.)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1478 on: August 28, 2013, 12:39:45 am »
Technically, we could also try communism again.

Otherwise money is pretty much needed in a society where people may work in a factory or space center rather than spend their days farming. (And you can't really use bartering with science related stuff. Unless you go like "give me food and my team will build the anti-meteor laser.")
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #1479 on: August 28, 2013, 12:44:27 am »
I'd prefer bartering. You work at my store, I'll give you free clothing. You give help me garden, you get some crops. You run your own garden, you can use it for trading. Stuff like that.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #1480 on: August 28, 2013, 12:51:14 am »
I'd prefer bartering. You work at my store, I'll give you free clothing. You give help me garden, you get some crops. You run your own garden, you can use it for trading. Stuff like that.

Yeah, but the problem is that not everyone produces something that everyone needs. Currency is a more efficient system. And it allows for advanced and specialized professions which modern society needs.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #1481 on: August 28, 2013, 12:58:51 am »

Yeah, but the problem is that not everyone produces something that everyone needs. Currency is a more efficient system. And it allows for advanced and specialized professions which modern society needs.
This.

Basically, if you're a doctor and you save lives, it's not cool to get a ton of tomatoes every month because the son of the tomato-grower is always sick, and go naked because fuck you, the lady that makes clothing never gets ill. And you can't really make your own clothes, because that would mean that you can't take as much time to heal people. Money has evolved out of bartering for a reason : it allows everyone to choose what they get out of the deal.

Technically, we could also try communism again.

Otherwise money is pretty much needed in a society where people may work in a factory or space center rather than spend their days farming. (And you can't really use bartering with science related stuff. Unless you go like "give me food and my team will build the anti-meteor laser.")
Communism might work, but it requires devoting such an incredible amount of ressources to micro-managing every transaction in the community that applying it worldwide would be less than ideal. (Maybe by using AI once we get there, but for now, not really)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #1482 on: August 28, 2013, 09:59:13 am »
*massages a pile of caps*

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
« Reply #1483 on: August 28, 2013, 10:11:16 am »

Guess I ought to start buying glass bottles, and saving the caps?  Which brand do you think would be viable currency, or do they just have to be metal caps to work?  Or would pull-tabs be more viable, considering they're more pervasive?

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #1484 on: August 28, 2013, 10:13:06 am »

Guess I ought to start buying glass bottles, and saving the caps?  Which brand do you think would be viable currency, or do they just have to be metal caps to work?  Or would pull-tabs be more viable, considering they're more pervasive?
You need glass bottles and their caps. Any brand works, as shown since Sunset Sarsaparilla also works.