Author Topic: Awesome Protest Signs  (Read 606657 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Awesome Protest Signs
« Reply #1965 on: April 25, 2014, 03:07:58 am »
Agreement?  On FQA?

Not on my watch!

...Oh wait, it isn't my watch.

Carry on.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #1966 on: April 25, 2014, 04:58:33 am »
Ever notice how people in BOTH those pics are almost exclusively old, white people?  Fucking old crackers are tryin to ruin it for the rest of us.
Not always.  There were some black and Latino protesters at a gay pride parade my cousin was in.  I tried to point out the irony, but they didn't bite.

Reminds me of an episode of The Daily Show where they showed some woman who spoke about growing up in the 60's and having to fight for all of her rights.  She then ended it with, "And now, as a voting American, and Jesus-loving Christian, I thank God for my right to vote away gay marraige."
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #1967 on: April 25, 2014, 09:39:08 am »
Ever notice how people in BOTH those pics are almost exclusively old, white people?  Fucking old crackers are tryin to ruin it for the rest of us.
Not always.  There were some black and Latino protesters at a gay pride parade my cousin was in.  I tried to point out the irony, but they didn't bite.

Reminds me of an episode of The Daily Show where they showed some woman who spoke about growing up in the 60's and having to fight for all of her rights.  She then ended it with, "And now, as a voting American, and Jesus-loving Christian, I thank God for my right to vote away gay marraige."
Do you have a clip?

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #1968 on: April 25, 2014, 10:28:47 am »

It's both more subtle and darkly funnier than that; In the picture from the '50's or early '60's, about half of the bigots shown are young. In the picture from recent times...it's completely possible that some of those are the exact same people, now grown old. At the rate societal attitudes are improving, we really are seeing it as a matter of time before most of the bigots just die off.

More likely, the zeitgeist shifts a bit and the values young people hold today will be considered depressingly ignorant and possibly a little bigoted in the future. Generations after us will be haranguing us to change our ways and we'll be making half-hearted appeals to the good old days of the early 21st century when we didn't have to think about being sensitive toward whatever social justice issue is in vogue.

I'm optimistic that older people can change their minds; the alternative is that society will improve a little after each one of us dies.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #1969 on: April 25, 2014, 11:17:54 am »
Most definitely, most older people can change their minds, but by my definition at least, that means they were not genuine bigots to begin with - just prejudiced and naïve, until experience and new knowledge led them to an attitude change.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #1970 on: April 25, 2014, 11:21:19 am »
Most definitely, most older people can change their minds, but by my definition at least, that means they were not genuine bigots to begin with - just prejudiced and naïve, until experience and new knowledge led them to an attitude change.
Yeah.  There's little that can help genuine bigots, but those who are simply ignorant can change for the better much easily.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1971 on: April 25, 2014, 11:46:50 am »

EDIT:

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 11:56:52 am by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #1972 on: April 25, 2014, 03:02:19 pm »

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #1973 on: April 25, 2014, 03:36:05 pm »

Do you have a clip?

I'll try and find it but it was a year or two ago when I saw it. 
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #1974 on: April 25, 2014, 09:45:53 pm »

I fucking love wordplay, so from the bottom of my heart, thank you for this.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #1975 on: April 25, 2014, 11:58:04 pm »

I'm with you...GREATNESS!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #1976 on: April 26, 2014, 09:47:13 am »

I'm with you...GREATNESS!
Thirded.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #1977 on: April 26, 2014, 02:12:19 pm »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #1978 on: April 27, 2014, 11:15:23 pm »