Author Topic: Awesome Protest Signs  (Read 606150 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Awesome Protest Signs
« Reply #2085 on: May 22, 2014, 04:45:52 pm »

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #2086 on: May 22, 2014, 05:32:45 pm »
She even supported his notion to reintroduce the Gold Standard, which will bankrupt our nation to Hell and back, like all of these lol-ibertarian proposals.

That probably wouldn't bankrupt the nation so much. It'd just be regular dumb, not special dumb.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2087 on: May 22, 2014, 06:13:09 pm »
She even supported his notion to reintroduce the Gold Standard, which will bankrupt our nation to Hell and back, like all of these lol-ibertarian proposals.

That probably wouldn't bankrupt the nation so much. It'd just be regular dumb, not special dumb.

Wait, what?  I thought being bankrupt was pretty much a binary thing: you either are bankrupt, or you're not bankrupt.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2088 on: May 22, 2014, 06:37:26 pm »

Wait, what?  I thought being bankrupt was pretty much a binary thing: you either are bankrupt, or you're not bankrupt.

Sort of--there's "bankrupt but we use special techniques to make ourselves look not bankrupt" (what the US Treasury did while Congress was squabbling over raising the debt ceiling) and "actually bankrupt" (what the US Treasury constantly warned would eventually happen).
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2089 on: May 22, 2014, 06:47:39 pm »
So, there's: not bankrupt, bankrupt, and "bankrupt?"  (Yes, those are sarcasm quotes.)  That...makes all kinds of no damned sense at all, but that's government for ya, I suppose.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2090 on: May 22, 2014, 07:13:27 pm »
So, there's: not bankrupt, bankrupt, and "bankrupt?"  (Yes, those are sarcasm quotes.)  That...makes all kinds of no damned sense at all, but that's government for ya, I suppose.

That's still probably simplifying things, but yeah, that's my understanding. There was a to-do where during one hissy fit over the debt ceiling the Republicans were threatening to remove the Treasury's ability to use "extraordinary measures" (as they are called), which would, by my understanding, remove the "bankrupt" part of that.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2091 on: May 22, 2014, 07:16:19 pm »
So in other words, creative accounting.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2092 on: May 22, 2014, 07:21:29 pm »
So in other words, creative accounting.

Well, here's Timothy Geithner's letter to Harry Reid explaining it:

http://www.treasury.gov/connect/blog/Pages/letter-to-congress.aspx

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #2093 on: May 22, 2014, 09:37:35 pm »
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2094 on: May 22, 2014, 09:38:34 pm »

I don't get this one. Explain please?
It's a rebuttal to people using the argument "she was a slut, so she was asking to be raped".

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #2095 on: May 22, 2014, 09:40:57 pm »

I don't get this one. Explain please?
It's a rebuttal to people using the argument "she was a slut, so she was asking to be raped".

Ah, ok. Thanks.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #2096 on: May 23, 2014, 01:24:37 am »
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #2097 on: May 23, 2014, 03:53:07 am »

I was being nice. Adopting the gold standard could not possibly bankrupt the US. Nor could anything. The gold standard would be very bad for the economy and for people. It wouldn't even be much of a problem for the US government I don't think.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2098 on: May 23, 2014, 09:34:37 am »

I was being nice. Adopting the gold standard could not possibly bankrupt the US. Nor could anything. The gold standard would be very bad for the economy and for people. It wouldn't even be much of a problem for the US government I don't think.

So, it'd be idiotic, just not suicidally idiotic.  Makes sense.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2099 on: May 23, 2014, 09:56:59 am »
As you stated Fred, it would indeed be very bad for the economy, but with the degrees of GDP committed to funding government operations and infrastructure today - the spending that cannot politically or economically be changed without great damage - a gold standard would put a stranglehold on all levels of governments' projects and programs. A huge percentage of the work done by civilian industry and services is in government contracts they bid for and won.

Before Nixon finally removed us completely from the gold standard, it was commonplace to have spells of high inflation, often following the reported trends of both hoarding and selling panics in the stock markets and commodities futures markets. It was a time of apparent serious civil unrest as far as the panicky people saw it. But a time of great social progress, in fact.

As a school girl, I saw the news and heard my parents and teachers focus on inflation, inflation, inflation. Nixon started a national media and social crisis propaganda scheme - with the best of intentions - called W.I.N., for Whip Inflation Now. The economy was showing clear signs of spiraling price rises, a speculative panic, the natural opposite of a speculative bubble in intent, but with very broad and dire consequences which would theoretically lead to hyper inflation.

You would see WIN buttons and bumper stickers all over the place. It was meant to rally the populace into teaming up, including small companies and big corporations, to not panic and hoard and speculatively raise prices in anticipation of them rising, regardless. The WIN slogan did not really catch on very well, and Nixon ultimately did the better thing by an executive order to change the dollar to a fiat currency.

With the nearly total conversion of trading and commerce to electronic transactions - even cash sales' deposits and withdrawals are incorporated into this instantaneous credit/debit accounting - a gold standard would drag down the efficiency of the economies of the world, much as if we were to trade in all of our motor vehicles - cars, trucks, trains, ships and planes - for horses, sails and hot air balloons.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.