Author Topic: Awesome Protest Signs  (Read 606434 times)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Re: Awesome Protest Signs
« Reply #2100 on: May 23, 2014, 10:24:10 am »
Also, the total value of all gold in existence is still worth less than the amount of wealth in existence.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2101 on: May 23, 2014, 10:47:15 am »
Other than tradition, gold really no longer has meaning as a value storage and exchange medium. The lolbertarians say, "But gold is King! Gold is solid and real! Gold is nigh on indestructible!". It's also cumbersome and wide open to speculation bubbles and busts, as is any physical commodity. It's in the same general class as tulips and Beanie Babies, although it at least has many practical uses in industry and retail goods.

Any monetary system of economics and trade is based on a tacit social contract; a hard and fast cultural belief that money is a value unit worth trading for goods and services. Fiat currencies do have the vulnerability of their intrinsic value being tied to confidence levels in their issuing governments' reliability and transparency, as well as what ever degree of trust in the reliability of the nation's population to be productive and inventive in practical, constructive ways. Fiat currencies also leave a country vulnerable to economic sanctions more so that a gold standard would for that very reason. However, in this day and age, no nation is a true, self-sustaining island unto itself. Gold based or not, if a country chooses to not play fair on a level field, it will ultimately wither away. Witness the PDRK. It only "survives" on luck and black market dealings with the outside world. Should Putin continue down his crazy warpath, and fight sanctions with gold, the already tattered and breaking Russian economy will become even more chaotic; panic hoarding and speculative price gouging galore. The people will end up eating him alive.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2102 on: May 23, 2014, 03:03:01 pm »

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #2103 on: May 24, 2014, 09:20:29 am »
Other than tradition, gold really no longer has meaning as a value storage and exchange medium. The lolbertarians say, "But gold is King! Gold is solid and real! Gold is nigh on indestructible!". It's also cumbersome and wide open to speculation bubbles and busts, as is any physical commodity. It's in the same general class as tulips and Beanie Babies, although it at least has many practical uses in industry and retail goods.

Any monetary system of economics and trade is based on a tacit social contract; a hard and fast cultural belief that money is a value unit worth trading for goods and services. Fiat currencies do have the vulnerability of their intrinsic value being tied to confidence levels in their issuing governments' reliability and transparency, as well as what ever degree of trust in the reliability of the nation's population to be productive and inventive in practical, constructive ways. Fiat currencies also leave a country vulnerable to economic sanctions more so that a gold standard would for that very reason. However, in this day and age, no nation is a true, self-sustaining island unto itself. Gold based or not, if a country chooses to not play fair on a level field, it will ultimately wither away. Witness the PDRK. It only "survives" on luck and black market dealings with the outside world. Should Putin continue down his crazy warpath, and fight sanctions with gold, the already tattered and breaking Russian economy will become even more chaotic; panic hoarding and speculative price gouging galore. The people will end up eating him alive.

The value of gold, like any metal, depends on what people put into it. Gold has no intrinsic value, just a bunch of yellow metal.

She's gotta point! I highly doubt Tamar & those Midianite girls ran around in miniskirts!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 09:24:31 am by SpukiKitty »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2104 on: May 24, 2014, 09:29:25 am »
The value of gold, like any metal, depends on what people put into it. Gold has no intrinsic value, just a bunch of yellow metal.

Exactly.  Many cultures considered other materials to be considerably more valuable.  West Africa valued salt, China valued jade, the Mayans valued obsidian, etc.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2105 on: May 24, 2014, 10:09:33 am »
At least gold has value in that its an excellent conductor and is more or less immune to pretty much every acid that's NOT aqua regia.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2106 on: May 24, 2014, 11:30:23 am »

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #2107 on: May 24, 2014, 12:16:33 pm »

For context that's from a tube train (subway) in London, it's parodying the UKIP (UK Independance Party) posters.

Edit: It's probably more likely a Jubilee line train, not Picadilly, they're very similar internally.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 06:37:25 pm by starseeker »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2108 on: May 24, 2014, 05:57:08 pm »
Here's a resized version.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #2109 on: May 25, 2014, 01:02:25 am »
Here's a resized version.

TOO KYOOOOOOOOOTTT! ;D ;D ;D

Does someone have the original UKIP ad for comparison? I'd find & post it but I gotta go to bed. Goodnight!

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #2110 on: May 25, 2014, 09:24:02 am »
Would this be it?

« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 09:26:25 am by Veras »
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2111 on: May 25, 2014, 12:29:33 pm »

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #2112 on: May 25, 2014, 12:32:39 pm »
...I'm a horrible person, all I can think of is this:

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #2113 on: May 25, 2014, 01:40:18 pm »
About the UKIP ad, I "love" how they don't explicitly say that the "26 million people in Europe" is referring to "26 million spooky brown people who are in Europe". Such is the deceptive way of the far-right in politics.

Mudkips are much cuter & snugglier.

I never followed Pokemon but those little guys really crank up the kawaii factor up to eleven.

TOO KYOOOOOOOOT....

...GIVE ME SUGAR-SHOCK!
(Credit to the person who made this)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2114 on: May 26, 2014, 12:23:03 pm »

I see nothing wrong with May-December romances, as long as they're not predatory.