Author Topic: Awesome Protest Signs  (Read 606805 times)

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Re: Awesome Protest Signs
« Reply #2430 on: January 31, 2015, 02:45:40 pm »
Um, Barb, those were the ones burning bras, getting Roe v Wade, and generally fighting for the rights you and I take for granted. Also, remember that was backlash to the hippies' general treatment of women. 
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2431 on: January 31, 2015, 04:45:30 pm »
Yeah, hippie male attitudes tended towards sex drugs and rock n roll. They mostly viewed feminists as middle aged harpies.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #2432 on: January 31, 2015, 10:57:26 pm »
Um, Barb, those were the ones burning bras, getting Roe v Wade, and generally fighting for the rights you and I take for granted. Also, remember that was backlash to the hippies' general treatment of women.

I know that. I know many were feminist. Maybe I described the wrong people. Maybe I should have just said "Youth Counterculture of the 60s".

The point I was trying to make was that even enlightened smart folks who hate bigotry can subconsciously think nothing of something that, in a deeper way may be it sexist, ableist, anti-gay, etc.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2433 on: February 01, 2015, 08:17:49 am »
Aren't the hippies the ones responsible for the nuclear power panic that's with us to this day?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2434 on: February 01, 2015, 10:14:33 am »
Aren't the hippies the ones responsible for the nuclear power panic that's with us to this day?

Yes. It was a legit concern back then, but with modern designs, and specifically by choosing to build breeder reactors, those concerns are largely now moot. Reference: France. The No Nukes crowd are genuine fundies, aging very ungracefully, indoctrinating an anti-vax level of stupid onto younger generations of activists.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2435 on: February 01, 2015, 12:52:33 pm »
And screwing us over on much more efficient and cleaner alternatives to shit-spewing dinosaur burner plants.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #2436 on: February 01, 2015, 02:38:24 pm »
And screwing us over on much more efficient and cleaner alternatives to shit-spewing dinosaur burner plants.

That reminds me of the time I realized that our cars are literally powered by exploding T-rexs. That's pretty fucking metal.

Yes I realize that the majority of the matter that got turned in to oil wasn't from large dinosaurs.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2437 on: February 01, 2015, 02:51:33 pm »
It's kinda like how birds are genetically similar enough to dinosaurs that they are still part of the same genus. (which means that  chicken gyro I had a few minutes ago was a dinosaur gyro.)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2438 on: February 01, 2015, 03:17:48 pm »
It's kinda like how birds are genetically similar enough to dinosaurs that they are still part of the same genus. (which means that  chicken gyro I had a few minutes ago was a dinosaur gyro.)

Maybe I should call it "dinosaur watching".

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #2439 on: February 01, 2015, 09:08:48 pm »
I wonder if that stupid ride at EPCOT was ever updated to reflect science? I'd assume not, because the dinos are the main draw of that ride.

EPCOT Guest: "Yeah yeah yeah....oil...energy....blah blah....I JUST HERE FOR THE EPIC AWESOMENESS OF ANIMATRONIC T-REX, MAAAAN!"

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2440 on: February 02, 2015, 05:01:23 pm »

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #2441 on: February 02, 2015, 05:32:48 pm »
-snip-

That's not how vaccines work.

Some vaccines are less effective than others, and a very tiny percentage of the population doesn't get vaccinated because of actual life-threatening reactions to the vaccine. Everyone has a chance of getting these diseases and that chance is higher because pathogens now have anti-vax reservoirs.

So no, they aren't perfectly fine. That's why anti-vax nuts are a public health problem.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2442 on: February 03, 2015, 08:55:15 am »
I think the pic author means "fine" as in "not harmed by the vaccine itself."  Diseases can still wreck your shit.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #2443 on: February 04, 2015, 12:28:22 am »
-snip-

Some vaccines are less effective than others, and a very tiny percentage of the population doesn't get vaccinated because of actual life-threatening reactions to the vaccine. Everyone has a chance of getting these diseases and that chance is higher because pathogens now have anti-vax reservoirs.

So no, they aren't perfectly fine. That's why anti-vax nuts are a public health problem.

I read that more as a screw you to the antivaxers. Know what? Me and millions like me have been vaccinated and we don't have any cancers or autism or whatever it is they're saying now.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2444 on: February 04, 2015, 01:31:30 am »
-snip-

I read that more as a screw you to the antivaxers. Know what? Me and millions like me have been vaccinated and we don't have any cancers or autism or whatever it is they're saying now.
I think that is what it was trying to say.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!