Author Topic: Awesome Protest Signs  (Read 606411 times)

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
Re: Awesome Protest Signs
« Reply #2625 on: July 05, 2015, 01:43:13 am »
Gene Wilder is one of the best people ever, but I prefer Blazing Saddles to Willy Wonka.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2626 on: July 07, 2015, 12:51:36 pm »

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #2627 on: July 07, 2015, 01:10:40 pm »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2628 on: July 16, 2015, 06:47:06 pm »

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #2629 on: July 17, 2015, 01:27:13 am »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2630 on: July 27, 2015, 11:15:05 am »

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #2631 on: July 27, 2015, 03:02:22 pm »

Just for that, I say to you....THAT WAS A TOTAL....

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #2632 on: July 28, 2015, 03:23:31 am »

The difference is that white power is pure hate, wheras black power is a response to an actual thing.

Malcom X was not Bull Connor.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2633 on: July 28, 2015, 08:56:59 am »

The difference is that white power is pure hate, wheras black power is a response to an actual thing.

Because that completely justifies the Black Power movement's naked racism.  Or the voter intimidation done by the New Black Panthers.  Or the murders committed by the Nation of Islam.

He who fights monsters and all that...

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #2634 on: July 28, 2015, 05:58:49 pm »

Because that completely justifies the Black Power movement's naked racism.  Or the voter intimidation done by the New Black Panthers.  Or the murders committed by the Nation of Islam.

Do you think the two groups are comparable?

That is - do you think the Black Panthers were as bad as the state of Alabama, or the FBI?

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #2635 on: July 28, 2015, 06:20:41 pm »
Ah, fuck me, here we go again.

*breaks out the booze*
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2636 on: July 28, 2015, 07:32:52 pm »

Do you think the two groups are comparable?

That is - do you think the Black Panthers were as bad as the state of Alabama, or the FBI?

Do you honestly think the entire state of Alabama was made up of card-carrying Klansmen?  Quite the contrary, many white Alabamians were active supporters of the civil rights movement. 

And the FBI was basically controlled by J. Edgar Hoover, with negligible resistance or oversight.  Its abuse of power was undeniable, but Hoover and his cronies basically turned the FBI into their own private force.  And considering he once fired somebody because he thought his head looked too small, can you blame people for not speaking out?

Now as for the Black Panthers... let me tell you, they did some pretty shady stuff too.  Let's start with the beginning.  It was founded by a career criminal.  Huey P. Newton had a laundry list of offenses even before his activism, and admitted to beginning his law studies to become a better criminal.  Furthermore, numerous allegations of violence have been made against him.  It's true that he was acquitted of Kathleen Smith's murder, but that was only after an attempt on a key witness's life by three Black Panthers.  That would be grounds for doubt in a Mafia trial, so I see no reason not to be suspicious of this verdict.

He wasn't the only one.  Bobby Seale implied that he killed a man for sleeping with his wife (and considering his role in a torture-murder, I don't doubt it).  George Jackson was a robber who was known for being violent in prison.  Eldridge Cleaver was a rapist.  And Lorenzo Kom'boa Ervin hijacked a plane to Cuba to escape prosecution for plotting murder.

Moreover, their ten-point program demanded the release of every single African-American imprisoned at the time.  And from the very beginning, they were open-carriers.  That's not a problem with me.  Is it with you?  I think you'd be iffy about guns, but maybe I'm wrong.

Now, let's get into their activities.  They ambushed cops, tortured and murdered their own members (Alex Rackley being the most famous example), and got into a violent dispute with the US Organization, a rival black nationalist party.  And after the party died, many of its former members founded the Black Liberation Army, an outright terrorist organization.

There are a lot of legitimate criticisms to be made about the Black Panther Party.  Even leftist hugboxes like RationalWiki agree on this.  Former Black Panthers, including Eldridge Cleaver himself, have claimed the party left a negative legacy.

Now, does all this justify COINTELPRO's activities against them?  No, it doesn't.  But it does erode their "moral high ground". 

To determine whether they were "worse"... that's hard to judge.  They did some good things, had some good members, and weren't as bad as other black nationalist groups like the Nation of Islam.  On the other hand, I find it hard to say that they had a good impact overall.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 07:35:47 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #2637 on: July 28, 2015, 08:00:39 pm »
Obviously I mean the State as an institution - the State Government in the 1960s.

Would you consider the institutions of the FBI and the government of Alabama to be comparably bad to the Black Panthers? Whether or not they're exactly on par, do you think the two institutions broadly were similar and similarly bad? Your little meme seems to suggest so. Yes or no?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 08:02:19 pm by Lt. Fred »

-FDR

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2638 on: July 28, 2015, 08:31:45 pm »
Obviously I mean the State as an institution - the State Government in the 1960s.

Would you consider the institutions of the FBI and the government of Alabama to be comparably bad to the Black Panthers? Whether or not they're exactly on par, do you think the two institutions broadly were similar and similarly bad? Your little meme seems to suggest so. Yes or no?

You're asking me to compare apples and oranges.  Let me ask you this: do you think David Duke is as bad as Robert Mugabe?

Besides, it's talking about modern movements.  The original Black Panthers aren't relevant anymore.  You might as well be asking me about the Yippies.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #2639 on: July 28, 2015, 08:32:53 pm »

You're asking me to compare apples and oranges.  Let me ask you this: do you think David Duke is as bad as Robert Mugabe?

Besides, it's talking about modern movements.  The original Black Panthers aren't relevant anymore.  You might as well be asking me about the Yippies.

So, no - the two are not equivalent?

-FDR