Author Topic: Awesome Protest Signs  (Read 606830 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Awesome Protest Signs
« Reply #2790 on: November 14, 2015, 12:48:46 am »

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #2791 on: November 14, 2015, 08:46:10 am »

« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 09:25:13 am by guizonde »
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #2792 on: November 15, 2015, 12:16:09 am »

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #2793 on: November 15, 2015, 12:17:56 am »

What if I really hate Atheists, but I'm cool with the other four, can I still be a not-asshole?
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

pyro

« Reply #2794 on: November 15, 2015, 12:32:01 am »

What if I really hate Atheists, but I'm cool with the other four, can I still be a not-asshole?

... No? Hating an entire group of people, most of whom you've never met, for something that any reasonable person would agree is not wrong in and of itself, is kinda assholish. Same reason people are constantly nagging Nemi.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #2795 on: November 15, 2015, 12:34:06 am »

Of course. It's one of those know-your-place-atheists kind of signs -- made in that finest tradition of telling uppity minorities to stop rocking the boat.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

pyro

« Reply #2796 on: November 15, 2015, 12:52:36 am »

Of course. It's one of those know-your-place-atheists kind of signs -- made in that finest tradition of telling uppity minorities to stop rocking the boat.

Really? The sign doesn't seem to call any one group out. The worst interpretation I got out of this picture is that the poster is proud of themself for finding a way to feel superior to the Christians, the Jews, the Pagans, the Muslims, and the Atheists all at once.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #2797 on: November 15, 2015, 01:21:54 am »

Really? The sign doesn't seem to call any one group out. The worst interpretation I got out of this picture is that the poster is proud of themself for finding a way to feel superior to the Christians, the Jews, the Pagans, the Muslims, and the Atheists all at once.

The problem is "not an asshole" all too often means not breaking existing social conventions. In the United States, at least, devout displays of religiosity are a social convention and atheists are supposed to sit there and nod their heads when it happens.

It's the kind of message that might sound nice unless you've experienced the flipside of that culture.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2798 on: November 15, 2015, 01:48:43 am »

The problem is "not an asshole" all too often means not breaking existing social conventions. In the United States, at least, devout displays of religiosity are a social convention and atheists are supposed to sit there and nod their heads when it happens.

It's the kind of message that might sound nice unless you've experienced the flipside of that culture.

...That's not what the image is about. The image says that despite having differing beliefs people can get along AND that assuming that their different beliefs would automatically cause conflict is part of the problem.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #2799 on: November 15, 2015, 08:24:28 am »

Reminds me of the time I had lunch after class with some friends and we started discussing the concept of evil and supernatural experiences. I realized we had an atheist (me), a reborn Christian, a New Age hippie and a Satanist having a civil, respecting conversation about these subjects.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #2800 on: November 15, 2015, 10:17:54 am »
Wow, my joke got taken to an absurd extreme.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #2801 on: November 15, 2015, 11:46:22 am »
It's amazing what happens when people aren't one dimensional hyperboles of themselves. When that group also happens to have other things going on in their lives. When well rounded complete people sit down and talk about similarities rather than differences. When someone can be a [religious group] AND a sports fan AND a decent artist AND a mechanic AND a AND a.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #2802 on: November 16, 2015, 12:26:38 am »
I did an internship in South Dakota with five other interns back in 2010. The six of use were a Catholic, a Protestant, a Jew, a Wiccan, an atheist, and a Deist respectively. We never argued about religion.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #2803 on: November 16, 2015, 12:54:15 pm »
A group like that, I'd be looking forward to a huge ass one and done argument/discussion/shouting match for the ages. But then it's done and people act like people and not stereotypes.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2804 on: November 18, 2015, 05:03:33 pm »