Author Topic: Awesome Protest Signs  (Read 606167 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: Awesome Protest Signs
« Reply #2880 on: February 16, 2016, 08:48:29 am »
I'd say the point of contention here isn't "organizations are mandated to pay the water bills of everyone in need" but rather "if you actually gave a shit about the people, you'd give them the charity without imposing a condition they may not even be able to follow".

You can give a shit about people and about other things, though?

I mean, PETA's job is to turn as many people into vegans as possible (among other things). If someone hears of this offer and can't or don't want to accept it, then they are no worse than before. If someone hears of this offer and can and want to accept it, then they and PETA are both better off.

...so what's the bad part?

The part where PETA takes advantage of a bad situation to force people to go vegan. Once you get thirsty enough, you don't have a choice.

Suppose that's true. Then a conditional offer to pay for water bills is strictly better than the absence of that offer, and yet PETA was not criticised before making the offer.

It shows that PETA doesn't actually give a shit about the people of Flint. They only want vegan converts. I don't see anything wrong with them helping people while encouraging them to go vegan because, well, regardless of methods, that is their goal here, but as is, they're effective holding the water hostage with a ransom of "conform to our lifestyles or else you have to choose between thirst and drinking lead water."

Minor point, but this is about Detroit, not Flint.

The problem with the idea of 'holding the water hostage' is that it's not PETA that decided to cut off water from people. When someone takes a hostage and a third party offers to help you for a price, that's not ransom. That's paying for a service.

And sure, let's say PETA doesn't care about the people of Flint. So? Most people don't care about most other people. Most people did less than PETA to help the people of Detroit.
Σא

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #2881 on: February 16, 2016, 09:45:48 am »
If this is about Detroit and not Flint then not having access to clean water is strictly an economic issue and not a structural one. In other words, the people are too poor to pay the water bill and the city has shut it off as a result. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say people in this situation don't have the economic luxury of deciding to be vegan. Most of them are probably pennies away from choosing between going hungry, trapping rats and pigeons for food, or robbing convenience stores. The ones who aren't quite that desperate aren't much better off and being that choosy about diet isn't a realistic option. Just sourcing enough variety of vegan foods to make a healthy diet is probably next to impossible where these people live, and if you don't have water, odds are you don't have much access to transportation either.

PETA, as usual, are just being opportunistic dicks and exploiting an unrelated tragedy to further their agenda with the full knowledge that they won't actually have to lift a finger or write a cheque to help anyone because the hurdle to receive their help is too high.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #2882 on: February 16, 2016, 09:57:37 am »
PETA, as usual, are just being opportunistic dicks and exploiting an unrelated tragedy to further their agenda with the full knowledge that they won't actually have to lift a finger or write a cheque to help anyone because the hurdle to receive their help is too high.
I'm more convinced that they are utterly out of touch with the economical realities of the poor people. Hanlon's razor.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #2883 on: February 16, 2016, 11:34:13 am »
I'm more convinced that they are utterly out of touch with the economical realities of the poor people. Hanlon's razor.

When the bulk of their publicity campaigns seem to center around shock and anger the public for the sake of raising awareness of the cause, and they have a demonstrated history of genocidal levels of callousness (notably in regards to the animals they are 'protecting') I'm not so sure it's a simple case of Hanlon's razor.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2884 on: February 18, 2016, 09:43:16 pm »

When the bulk of their publicity campaigns seem to center around shock and anger the public for the sake of raising awareness of the cause, and they have a demonstrated history of genocidal levels of callousness (notably in regards to the animals they are 'protecting') I'm not so sure it's a simple case of Hanlon's razor.

Yeah, when you compare pork farms to extermination camps, it's hard to brush it off as not knowing any better.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2885 on: February 25, 2016, 04:50:46 am »

Just for the record: He got thrown out of the event because... Actually I'm not sure, the article that provided the picture does not mention a reason. Anyway, good sign.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/25/upshot/measuring-donald-trumps-supporters-for-intolerance.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #2886 on: February 25, 2016, 06:43:19 am »
Just for the record: He got thrown out of the event because...
Working heart, brain and/or spine?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2887 on: February 25, 2016, 06:56:38 am »
Just for the record: He got thrown out of the event because...
Working heart, brain and/or spine?
I suppose it is possible that he blocked a fire exit tackled people to the ground and tried to strangle someone with his underwear but it is also possible that simply not supporting hatred was a reason enough to get rid of him. It would of course be immature to assume the worst out of people like Trump without having enough evidence to support these claims...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2888 on: February 25, 2016, 09:33:11 am »
All the recent war vets I've encountered IRL and online came out of Iraq and Afghanistan with pretty high regard and concern for the well being of the civilians they met over there. Immersion in the cultures had the usual result of "Yeah, they're mostly all good people, just like back home."
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #2889 on: February 25, 2016, 12:13:25 pm »
The Iraqis I talked to fairly regularly were.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2890 on: February 28, 2016, 09:16:06 pm »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2891 on: March 14, 2016, 04:09:18 pm »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast