Author Topic: Awesome Protest Signs  (Read 606190 times)

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
Re: Awesome Protest Signs
« Reply #705 on: August 20, 2012, 03:35:05 pm »
The Prop 8 trial will most likely reach the Supreme Court around summer of next year, which means that if we're lucky, the SCOTUS will rule it unconstitutional and their decision will be affective across the entire country.

http://www.prop8trialtracker.com/2011/11/23/where-things-stand-with-the-prop-8-trial/

And what if they rule that it is constitutional?

Then they're out of luck until a similar case comes by the Supreme Court again.

It'll probably be a 5-4 decision either way.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #706 on: August 20, 2012, 09:40:44 pm »
The Prop 8 trial will most likely reach the Supreme Court around summer of next year, which means that if we're lucky, the SCOTUS will rule it unconstitutional and their decision will be affective across the entire country.

http://www.prop8trialtracker.com/2011/11/23/where-things-stand-with-the-prop-8-trial/

Maybe I am too much of an optimist, but I cannot see that happening. Appeals courts (such as the USSC) do not, under normal circumstances, hear new evidence. (The exception is when there is a request for a new trial based on new evidence that was not available in the original trial. In that case, they are not retrying the case, only deciding if the new evidence is significant enough to warrant a new trial.) The only evidence appeals courts hear is what was brought up at trial, and evidence is only heard  through the record. (Witnesses do not testify again.)

I followed the Prop 8 trial at the time, and I've read Judge Walker's opinion. The pro-Prop 8 side presented no real evidence in favor of banning SSM. Without such evidence, the appeals court does not have much of a basis to rule in favor of Prop 8.

As an aside, I am not sure that even if the USSC ruled against Prop 8, it would make SSM legal across the country. The 9th Circuit based their ruling on the fact that same-sex couples had marriage rights in CA before Prop 8 passed. It was more an issue of "taking away existing rights" rather than an equal protection issue.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #707 on: August 22, 2012, 10:04:44 am »

Maybe I am too much of an optimist, but I cannot see that happening. Appeals courts (such as the USSC) do not, under normal circumstances, hear new evidence. (The exception is when there is a request for a new trial based on new evidence that was not available in the original trial. In that case, they are not retrying the case, only deciding if the new evidence is significant enough to warrant a new trial.) The only evidence appeals courts hear is what was brought up at trial, and evidence is only heard  through the record. (Witnesses do not testify again.)

I followed the Prop 8 trial at the time, and I've read Judge Walker's opinion. The pro-Prop 8 side presented no real evidence in favor of banning SSM. Without such evidence, the appeals court does not have much of a basis to rule in favor of Prop 8.

As an aside, I am not sure that even if the USSC ruled against Prop 8, it would make SSM legal across the country. The 9th Circuit based their ruling on the fact that same-sex couples had marriage rights in CA before Prop 8 passed. It was more an issue of "taking away existing rights" rather than an equal protection issue.

True, although the California Supreme Court ruled on a different basis. It depends on the nature of the ruling.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #708 on: August 23, 2012, 01:59:16 am »

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 04:33:59 pm by Smurfette Principle »

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #709 on: August 24, 2012, 05:21:29 pm »

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #710 on: August 24, 2012, 08:22:38 pm »

Offline Kristine

• The Beast
« Reply #711 on: August 25, 2012, 02:22:12 pm »

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #712 on: August 29, 2012, 09:11:42 pm »

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #713 on: August 29, 2012, 10:32:13 pm »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #714 on: August 29, 2012, 11:11:50 pm »

Only 500 yards?  You're being far too generous.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #715 on: August 30, 2012, 12:40:43 am »

Only 500 yards?  You're being far too generous.
To be fair, the decent thing to do would be to put said beliefs down like a senile animal.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #716 on: August 31, 2012, 11:33:55 am »
Some signs from my local Occupy movement

Offline Kristine

• The Beast
« Reply #717 on: September 03, 2012, 03:05:27 pm »

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #718 on: September 04, 2012, 02:43:40 am »
Not intentional, but I think it belongs here.

I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #719 on: September 04, 2012, 04:44:21 pm »
Not intentional, but I think it belongs here.

Holy fuck!  They're being even unintentionally honest?  Whelp, that's it...its been nice while it lasted, but I think the world is finally coming to an end.

Who wants to catch a End of Days pizza?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.