Author Topic: do fundies ever realise when their arguements are flawed and broken?  (Read 3477 times)

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
Re: do fundies ever realise when their arguements are flawed and broken?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 04:48:09 pm »
A great many fundies react to  fact-based arguments with suspicion if not downright hostility.  You can't reason with them because they are incapable of responding in that manner. 
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline future colours

• Neonate
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 11:40:09 pm »
also another thing is that they ask a weird question all the time- that if u can be wrong about everything you know you cant know anything ! :o :P how the hell do you make that kinda jump! ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JCbDMiF98yw

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 02:03:55 am »
also another thing is that they ask a weird question all the time- that if u can be wrong about everything you know you cant know anything ! :o :P how the hell do you make that kinda jump! ???

That's what's known as a 'God of the gaps' argument.  "You don't know X, ergo, God."

That's pretty much the extent of the argument.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline future colours

• Neonate
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 12:54:02 pm »
wow you serious??

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 01:01:23 pm »
Completely, I'm afraid.  One of my tabletop gaming buddies pulled that on me with "you can't explain black holes, ergo, God."

I refused to have anything to do with him for the next eight months, and only after he apologized.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline future colours

• Neonate
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 03:36:38 pm »

That's what's known as a 'God of the gaps' argument.  "You don't know X, ergo, God."

so then is it me or its just Calvinists whom like to use this arguement? as well is the transcendental arguement the ONLY ones that presupptionalists use?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 05:50:18 pm »
Considering that Calvinists literally believe that everything from the beginning of time to the end is set in stone by God, it's not surprising that they divorce the logical portion of their brain.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2013, 12:31:13 am »
More like the logical part of their brain is forcefully removed.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2013, 08:20:20 am »
Not removed, just hiding under a fuckton of self imposed ignorance which prevent it from doing its job.

Offline future colours

• Neonate
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 05:33:27 pm »

but what is the best rebuttal for this kind of arguement?

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 05:47:09 pm »

Frankly, if the fundies are pulling out the 'God of the gaps' argument, their mind's made up.  It's their variant of an 'I win' button.  Can't explain one thing in science, you can't explain anything else, therefore you can't understand god, therefore you're wrong.  It's best just to go find something else to do at that juncture.

Formerly Priestling

Offline Patches

• Bishop
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 06:18:34 pm »

Frankly, if the fundies are pulling out the 'God of the gaps' argument, their mind's made up.  It's their variant of an 'I win' button.  Can't explain one thing in science, you can't explain anything else, therefore you can't understand god, therefore you're wrong.  It's best just to go find something else to do at that juncture.
The "God of the Gaps" argument is basically someone saying that they're not comfortable admitting "I don't know", so are making up a placeholder explanation that they personally like, and because they personally like it, they refuse to let it go even when the answer has been discovered for real.  It's ironic, though, because these are the same people who often tout that "You can't know everything", but at the same time implicitly claim to know everything by confidently asserting they have an answer (God) to any question posed of them.  More formally, it's called "Argument from Ignorance".

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2013, 06:36:32 pm »

Offline future colours

• Neonate
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2013, 11:45:07 pm »

well i guess sye ten bruggengate is even dumber than i thought he was