Author Topic: Fun times in Syria  (Read 30938 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Re: Fun times in Syria
« Reply #165 on: September 10, 2013, 03:27:55 am »
It got real conspiracy theory in here.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #166 on: September 10, 2013, 03:34:03 am »
No doubt the Republicans have tied in Obamacare in that.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #167 on: September 10, 2013, 11:45:15 am »
republicans are voting no in house and dems vote yes damn

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #168 on: September 10, 2013, 02:33:22 pm »
Doesn't matter.  Syria is now opening up to talks with the UN about getting rid of the chemical weapons.

Ironbite-someone told them that no matter where they hide the damn things, the US will blow them up.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #169 on: September 10, 2013, 02:40:02 pm »
Does anyone think this Syria debacle is another distraction from the NSA issue?

Only if the entire civilized world is obsessed over the NSA and Snowden, etc., not really. The issues are only tangentially related.

The offer of the day from Russia sounds nice on paper (NATO supervised removal of Syrian chem weapon supplies to be handed over to Russia, and from there to be destroyed under NATO supervision, allegedly), but it gives too much time for Assad to hide a few canister warheads, and who the fuck trusts Putin, anyway.

If Assad really ceases to use chem weapons ever again, fine as to that, but he still needs to be under the gun for having already massacred innocents.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #170 on: September 10, 2013, 02:59:57 pm »
republicans are voting no in house and dems vote yes damn

I think that fact alone says a lot about partisanship and the how strong the ridiculous concept of "party loyalty" is among our leaders.

The NSA data-mining program thing is a case in point:

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:08:28 pm by mythbuster43 »

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #171 on: September 10, 2013, 03:56:53 pm »
Doesn't matter.  Syria is now opening up to talks with the UN about getting rid of the chemical weapons.

Ironbite-someone told them that no matter where they hide the damn things, the US will blow them up.

I wonder if that was Obama's plan all along.  Scared the living **** out of Syria while we argue about whether to bomb another country (again).  Then they agree to hand everything over, and we never fired a shot.

If it's true, awesome Batmat Gambit!
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #172 on: September 10, 2013, 04:09:43 pm »

I wonder if that was Obama's plan all along.  Scared the living **** out of Syria while we argue about whether to bomb another country (again).  Then they agree to hand everything over, and we never fired a shot.

Actually, I think it was Russia's plan. Syria uses chemical weapons, Russia keeps us away for it bit, "enters talks", and "convinces them to give them up". Russia looks like the big damn heroes, and America looks evil.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #173 on: September 10, 2013, 05:48:33 pm »

Actually, I think it was Russia's plan. Syria uses chemical weapons, Russia keeps us away for it bit, "enters talks", and "convinces them to give them up". Russia looks like the big damn heroes, and America looks evil.

Considering that Russia has been locking up political dissidents and gays, Vladimir Putin would have to be a super-intelligent chess master in order to make Russia look like the hero right now.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #174 on: September 10, 2013, 09:52:32 pm »
America won't look any more or less evil over one more instance of playing World Police.
Σא

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #175 on: September 10, 2013, 09:56:43 pm »

Considering that Russia has been locking up political dissidents and gays, Vladimir Putin would have to be a super-intelligent chess master in order to make Russia look like the hero right now.
He used to lead the KGB, and took over Russia in what I doubt will be a presidency shorter than his lifespan. He is pretty much that intelligent.

America won't look any more or less evil over one more instance of playing World Police.
Okay, maybe not evil. Still looks like douchey morons.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #176 on: September 11, 2013, 04:34:09 am »
It reminded me of a scene from Princess Bride.

Obama:  "Hand over your chemical weapons."
Syria:  "We don't have any chemical weapons."
Russia:  "Mess with them and you mess with us."
Obama:  "Congress, take a vote, though technically, I can bomb the **** out of them for a couple of months before you even decide."
Russia:  "Just give them the ******* weapons!"
Syria:  "Oh, you mean These chemical weapons."
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #177 on: September 11, 2013, 04:37:21 am »
And now Putin is using the fact that Syria gave in to push USA, by making Obama agreeing not to use force be a requirement to continue the negotiations.

Putin is smart.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #178 on: September 11, 2013, 08:45:48 am »
Putin's an idiot if he thinks the US will listen to him.

Ironbite-when you don't care about your international rep, hard to use it against someone.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #179 on: September 11, 2013, 12:26:13 pm »
Or maybe the whole thing has been a cooperative international pressure tactic against Assad from the beginning, with diplomatic strategists figuring he's an unsophisticated clod who can be guided into being trapped in a corner, since there is enough proof to condemn him anyway. Obama's role is the "bad cop", Putin is the "good cop", NATO plays the role of mommy, and Assad finally cries "uncle".
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.