Author Topic: TV Shows  (Read 139821 times)

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
Re: TV Shows
« Reply #630 on: August 21, 2017, 10:36:46 am »
The distance from Dragonstone to Eastwatch-by-the-Sea is closer to 2300 miles. Assuming a raven travels ~30 miles / hour (they have been measured to fly 22-28 mph) the message would take over 3 days to reach Dany. When you consider that the bird needs to stop to rest and feed and can't travel at top speed all the time I'd say it's closer to a week before Dany would reach them assuming her dragons can fly the distance without rest.

Edit: fixed the distance between the castles (I misread a map and thought it was 2500 miles) and adjusted the calculations accordingly.

Edit 2: I admit that this is still a few days faster than I intuitively estimated but the point still stands.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 11:00:15 am by SCarpelan »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #631 on: August 21, 2017, 11:31:55 am »
Goes to show how much I know of Westeros geography, lol.  So, yeah, even if they managed to stave off death for about 5 days (kinda unlikely given that they were in a frozen shithole), and assuming the bird needed at least a full 24 hours of rest (in total) to get to Dany, and one day for Dany to travel, then she'd be clipping along just over 150km/h (~100mph).  Still not infeasible, given we know exactly nothing about how fast dragons can really go when they're at full tilt, but the party living nearly a week on whatever rations they had in the middle of a frozen lake with nothing but their own body heat does kinda beggar beleif.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #632 on: September 28, 2017, 09:22:49 pm »
Heh. Apparently the redpillers have found the reason for the decline in GoT's writing during the last few seasons: feminism. Having badly written strong female characters can't be the result of incompetence or misjudged priorities in general, it must be the F-word. The fact that plotlines and male characters show similar symptoms of careless writing and tendency toward simplification doesn't matter. For example, the reason the TV Sand Snakes are so cringeworthy isn't that their actions are in conflict with their motives or they have no depth as characters, it's the fact that they are capable fighters who kill men who are bigger than them.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #633 on: September 29, 2017, 07:33:43 pm »
Ah, yes, feminism. Deciding that Rhaegar would insult his wife and children by annulling his marriage? Feminism! Making Sansa and Arya fight for no reason? Feminism! Making the fall of Highgarden happen in five seconds because mumble mumble flowers? Feminism! Daenerys' bullshit wheel metaphor? Feminism!!

look I have an extensive catalogue of things I dislike about GoT writing in the last couple of seasons I could do this all day

but I won't, probably because of feminists or something.
Σא

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #634 on: October 05, 2017, 08:53:53 pm »
So, in an ongoing contest between TLC, MTV and now ITV2, there is a reality tv show called Bromans. It is a show about bros from Britain being put in some weird approximation of Rome. In the age of Jersey Shore, Geordie Shore, and all of the varying competitors how on earth can this one tv show set itself up as more explicit and sexualized than the competition? How can ITV2 make their impact felt?

Easily.

They just did this.

They proceeded to immediately strip the dudes down, and make them stand out in the sun while their girlfriends competed to get them clothes. Those who failed to acquire clothes were instead given skimpy loincloths.

They've commenced absurd competitions and Gladiator-style fighting between the guys, while the girlfriends help enable them during the competitions.

History majors are reportedly combusting in rage.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #635 on: October 09, 2017, 06:35:01 pm »
Star Trek is back! first 4 episodes have been hit and miss, but I'm excited to see where they take this. Mostly I'm just super excited to be watching a new Star Trek show for the first time since I became a fan.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #636 on: April 05, 2018, 08:20:37 pm »
Wise fwom your gwaveeeeeee!

Finished Netflix's first season of The Punisher yesterday, and MY.  GOD.  Jon Bernthal, as far as I'm concerned, is Frank Castle.  That shit was made for him.  Few things have left me more unbelievably erect.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #637 on: April 16, 2018, 12:20:45 pm »

Wights are not zombies, though? like canonically wights are caused by the white walkers, not by other wights. There's no indication someone killed by a wight when there aren't white walkers around becomes a wight

Then again if D&D want a zombie apocalypse they're not gonna let a silly thing like canon get in their way, so.

Well I've personally heard D&D, as well as several directors and assistant directors, refer to wights as zombies...but way back in Season 5 various high-up members of the production were insistent that they aren't zombies.  So make of that what you will.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #638 on: September 20, 2018, 11:22:03 am »
Started watching Dragon Prince on Netflix. Then I realized that my wife might like the show so now I'm rewatching the early episodes together with her.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #639 on: March 03, 2019, 10:38:32 am »
So, I decided to give Blackadder another watch, and now I can't stop reading everything in his voice. This isn't the first time this has happened either. Is this a common occurrence or do I just have a problem?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #640 on: August 14, 2019, 10:09:39 am »
Guess which kids show I've been binge watching years after everyone else was crazy about it (including some of the people on this forum)?

...No, really guess, because I just realized that there's more than a few shows that would fit the description.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #641 on: August 14, 2019, 05:06:19 pm »
Gundam Build Fighters?

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #642 on: August 14, 2019, 05:28:20 pm »
Please don't say, 'My Little Pony'

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #643 on: August 14, 2019, 09:52:41 pm »
The answer is obvious.  It is Hamtaro.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #644 on: August 15, 2019, 05:15:50 am »
Hey, even my daughters are past the MLP craze that they had for a few years. (To be fair, it's not a bad one as far as kids shows go but I've been exposed to enough of it through the kids already and it's not the one I just binged on.)