Community > Religion and Philosophy

Abstinence-only and bullying

(1/5) > >>

gyeonghwa:
http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/article/2012/01/03/did-abstinence-only-ideology-create-bully-generation

Not only is abstinence only education centered around falsehoods and lies. It turns out that it helps make bullies. This is how:

--- Quote ---They rely on offensive, sexist stereotypes about men and women, boys and girls, as a foundational teaching tool and pass it off as "biology." They portray "real" boys as unable to control themselves, unemotional (particularly about sex), not interested in female desire or sexual satisfaction, not ultimately responsible for their own sexual feelings (which are portrayed as dependent on how girls chose to tempt them) and definitely heterosexual. Girls, on the other hand, are shown as controlling monitors of aggressive male sexuality.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---They marginalize and stigmatize LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer) youth by teaching that sex between a woman and a man (obviously within traditional heterosexual marriage) is the only safe, healthy, "normal" behavior.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Lastly, abstinence-only programs teach kids to slut-shame and -blame, and send a victim-blaming message. The flip side of this equation for boys is that they aren't in control of themselves and can't be blamed if a girl "encourages" them. We sometimes call that as "boys being boys" and it's how we laughingly wave away a slippery slope of assaultive behaviour
--- End quote ---

They also straight up lie. Yet we've increased federal funding for these programs.

Osama bin Bambi:
One year my sex ed teacher said that anal sex was unnatural because "poop chutes weren't meant to be used that way."

Osama bin Bambi:
If they ever have us do a comic, I'm going to reproduce a copy of this:

TheL:
"I do not see the meaning to this."

Sounds like what the student should be saying.

Da Rat Bastid:
One thing I've noticed about the final "an hero" drawing is that the bullet exited the kid's skull a bit too low.  With the way the gun is pointing, it should have come out around where the highest part of the brain-splatter is shown.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version