Author Topic: Diets are counterproductive  (Read 12644 times)

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Diets are counterproductive
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 02:36:14 am »
One of the things I've been doing other than working out and lifting weights is simply eating until my hunger is sated and I'm satisfied.   There's a big difference between eating until you're satisfied and eating until you're full.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 02:48:37 am »
The next step in my health regimen will be trying to work my way up from five-pound barbells. I have stick arms.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 02:52:38 am »
I'm vaguely curious about whether I've gained or lost weight since starting college. On one hand, I'm eating out more often. On the other hand, I'm eating a lot less overall.

Trouble is, I have neither a scale, nor any knowledge of my weight.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 06:05:38 am »
I cut out a lot of sodium and sugary things and it seems to be working. It isn't drastic weight loss but considering my weight has stayed steady since I got a really bad infection and couldn't move further than my bathroom for an entire year I think it's good to lose a handful of pounds.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 03:57:33 pm »
Sodium seems to be what's kicking the hell out of me, too, Shane.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 04:11:13 pm »
Yeah. I have heart problems so the sodium wasn't doing me any favors. The problem is my mom puts so much effing salt in the food... so I generally end up eating smaller portions of things she's cooked to try to keep up with my 'diet'. My doctor told me to cut back on my soda and my sunflower seeds (that killed me) and I did. I feel a bit better but it's not a drastic change. And I never expected it to be. I miss my sunflower seeds but I don't miss the palpitations.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 04:13:53 pm »
Funny thing is, I eat a lot of salt out of preference.

...And when I had my physical, my blood pressure was absolutely great, much to my surprise.

So, apparently, I'm fine eating salt :V I suppose that's just how my body is.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 05:11:18 pm »
I wouldn't go that far. Some people can become hypertensive. The older you get the higher the risk especially with high sodium intake. So I wouldn't count on going 'eh, my body's fine with sodium' then suddenly you've got a hypertensive emergency.

Other factors can lead to hypertension earlier as well like poor sleep patterns, weight (though oftentimes people are hypertensive while being stick thin. I have been hypertensive all my life and only recently as in the past few years gotten overweight), large amounts of liquourice (still learning why), as well as some medications.

Therefore, I'd be careful continuing with your high salt intake. Hypertension can hit you like a locomotive and that is not a preferable thing.

&

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2012, 05:45:11 pm »
Yeah, that's another thing.  Hypertension can affect anyone, anytime, especially if you have a family history of it (I do, both sides... everyone.)  I became hypertensive at 25 or so.  Healthy otherwise.  My doc said she wasn't surprised.  She said with such a strong history of it in my family, it was just a matter of when, not if.

I went from 155/100 down to the normal range 120/80 and lower until you faint when you get up... then it's too low.

Lisinopril worked a charm on me.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2012, 06:02:15 pm »
Yeah, that's another thing.  Hypertension can affect anyone, anytime, especially if you have a family history of it (I do, both sides... everyone.)  I became hypertensive at 25 or so.  Healthy otherwise.  My doc said she wasn't surprised.  She said with such a strong history of it in my family, it was just a matter of when, not if.

I went from 155/100 down to the normal range 120/80 and lower until you faint when you get up... then it's too low.

Lisinopril worked a charm on me.
I'm on 10mg lisinopril AND tiazac 120mg since the lisinopril wasn't cutting the palpitations. It however has not changed my headaches even tho I was told they were hypertension related.

&

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 11:03:45 pm »
Huh... Would you happen to be on any Wellbutrin?

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 03:19:52 am »
Nope. Why would I be? I think what I'm on is enough. Not to mention it reacts with 3/4 of what I'm already taking. Besides, it's a depression med and I already stopped taking what I was. I also stopped taking celexa ages ago so the withdrawal shouldn't still be effecting me as well as the fact I have had headaches for ages that was supposed to be related to my heart palpitations and the like.

&

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 10:47:31 am »
Eh,  just throwing a hunch out there.  One of Wellbutrin's common side effects are nagging headaches.  Some folks worse than others.  I don't have many at all, but some do. 

Sometimes it's not what ails us that ails us, it's what we take for what ails us that's actually ailing us...  or something.

Headaches can be caused by so many things... I just hope you find out the cause of yours and you can feel better soon.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 10:55:37 am »
I was also told it was dehydration but I drink so much water during the day it can't be.

&