Rubbish > Preaching and Worship

The Sense Of Life

(1/7) > >>

Ralf Biermann:
Hello All,

I just found this forum while searching for my name (this is really scary). In the meantime I got a little bit distance to the religious thing, however I don't see any resonable explanation for a universe without God. What Do You think?

Best Regards
Ralf

Eniliad:
Well, as an atheist, I can't really understand where belief in God comes from. I don't disrespect people who believe in him, so long as they're good people (and we have several at least on these boards). That's my perspective in a nutshell.

ThunderWulf:

--- Quote from: Miles11 on March 02, 2012, 03:56:30 pm ---Right now, my main question is how you found this forum by googling your name.

I apologize if this comes off as cold, and if I turn out to be wrong, but everything about your post seems...off. Like it is meant to incite a reaction. From your randomly capitalizing words to...well...your mention of finding this place just because you googled your name.

--- End quote ---

This.  Seems like someone's trolling to me.

Star Cluster:

--- Quote from: TGRwulf on March 02, 2012, 03:57:01 pm ---
--- Quote from: Miles11 on March 02, 2012, 03:56:30 pm ---Right now, my main question is how you found this forum by googling your name.

I apologize if this comes off as cold, and if I turn out to be wrong, but everything about your post seems...off. Like it is meant to incite a reaction. From your randomly capitalizing words to...well...your mention of finding this place just because you googled your name.

--- End quote ---

This.  Seems like someone's trolling to me.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, could be.  The thing about finding us by googling his name is really odd.  But it might be interesting to see what direction this takes.

Anyway, just to explore this a bit and see what happens...

I see no reason for a creator being.  Although the exact mechanism is not known (nor may never be known,), science has come up with a fairly satisfactory and reasonable theory for the beginning of the current universe as well as the beginning of life on this planet based on the evidence obtained so far.  I am an amateur astronomer and as it states under my avatar, the heavens convince me there is no God.  If there were one, why the need to create so many objects that are visible only through high powered telescopes.  The majority of people will never see them and, quite frankly, they don't give a damn whether they are there or not.  And there are vastly more objects in the universe that can't be seen with the naked eye than there are ones that can be.  It just seems like an inefficient and unnecessary design if in fact it was "created." 

I know it can be argued that all those objects help to hold the universe together.  But I reject that argument for a created universe.  If a deity exists that is capable of creating the universe, it would certainly be capable of creating one that can stand alone with what we can see.  Sort of like, you know, what the Bible says happened.

maanantai:

--- Quote from: Eniliad on March 02, 2012, 03:55:48 pm ---Well, as an atheist, I can't really understand where belief in God comes from. I don't disrespect people who believe in him, so long as they're good people (and we have several at least on these boards). That's my perspective in a nutshell.

--- End quote ---

This. Pretty much.

Also wondering about googling ones name... But who would be fool enough to use their real name as a username?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version