Author Topic: Mac and Android: Seeking Advice  (Read 1770 times)

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
Mac and Android: Seeking Advice
« on: July 25, 2012, 09:53:37 pm »
I currently use a Mac for desktop computing. I do not own anything that would qualify as a “mobile device” the way most folks use the term. However, I am interested in changing that.

Now, since I use a Mac, it seems like the obvious devices I should be looking at are those that run Apple’s iOS. Unfortunately, Apple is rather douchey with regards to consumer and developer lock-in to its App Store on that platform, so I would rather avoid participating in that.

As an alternative, I am looking at some Android devices. In particular, before I try anything associated with a broadband plan, I wanted to give the Samsung Galaxy Player a spin. As near as I can tell, it is the only non-Apple product really competing for the iPod Touch niche, so it seems like a decent starting place.

Anyway, the main thing I am getting at is: Does anyone here have any experience using the Galaxy Player or any other Android device alongside a Mac? How easy is it to sync things up across the two platforms? How many headaches should I expect for trying this out?

I would appreciate any pointers anyone could give me.
-A Pen Name

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
Re: Mac and Android: Seeking Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 04:19:40 pm »
The GP manual doesn't list OSX as a compitable OS, only various versions of Windows. Also the GP runs a really old version of Android, 2.2.3. The newest version is 5. The manual also says that you can get an optional USB cable for syncing purposes, I guess that'd work with a Mac, but don't know for sure. I couldn't be arsed to do a search on Google to find out for sure.

The only experience I have with Android is a heavily modified version of it that my Nook Color runs. That I have no trouble connecting to my Macbook and transferring ebooks to the Nook.

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 08:45:55 pm »
Hm. Finally found a page at Consumer Reports that says Galaxy Player 4 is not Mac Compatible.

I may be locked into iPod already.
-A Pen Name

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 10:18:42 pm »
Hm. Finally found a page at Consumer Reports that says Galaxy Player 4 is not Mac Compatible.

I may be locked into iPod already.
Reason #34723714326 not to buy Apple products.

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 10:37:43 pm »
Uh, let’s not get into OS warfare here.
-A Pen Name

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 03:35:12 pm »
If you're sure that the Galaxy Player is what you want, assuming you aren't using a super old PPC Mac, you could always install Windows in a VM.

Offline Bezron

• a mysterious riddled spicy burrito wrapped enigma...stuck in some hot chick's colon dreaming of fanginas
  • Pope
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 07:11:33 am »
I currently use a Mac for desktop computing. I do not own anything that would qualify as a “mobile device” the way most folks use the term. However, I am interested in changing that.

Now, since I use a Mac, it seems like the obvious devices I should be looking at are those that run Apple’s iOS. Unfortunately, Apple is rather douchey with regards to consumer and developer lock-in to its App Store on that platform, so I would rather avoid participating in that.

As an alternative, I am looking at some Android devices. In particular, before I try anything associated with a broadband plan, I wanted to give the Samsung Galaxy Player a spin. As near as I can tell, it is the only non-Apple product really competing for the iPod Touch niche, so it seems like a decent starting place.

Anyway, the main thing I am getting at is: Does anyone here have any experience using the Galaxy Player or any other Android device alongside a Mac? How easy is it to sync things up across the two platforms? How many headaches should I expect for trying this out?

I would appreciate any pointers anyone could give me.

No idea on the Galaxy Player itself (I use the Galaxy phone, so stand alone MP3 player is pointless), but standard Android phones work fine with Mac.  Android's file system is basic drag and drop.  You should see if you can install Doubletwist on your mac.  if you can, then you should be able to use the player. 

Another alternative is to purchase the player at a place like Best Buy or something.  Then, you take it home, try it out and if it doesn't work with your Mac, you take it back and tell them it doesn't work.  Just hold tight to the "it doesn't work" line and they will normally refund your money with no restock fee.

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 02:58:44 pm »
I've got an ipad, and I like it fine, but I wouldn't call it much of a mobile device. The memory limit is a real pain in the ass, too. Androids work great with Macs, though. What Mac OS are you running?
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.