Author Topic: Everyday Feminism, Poe Site?  (Read 2469 times)

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
Everyday Feminism, Poe Site?
« on: November 13, 2015, 12:48:12 am »
Because the stuff posted on this site is up there with some of the crazier fundie websites.  Here's an article on manspreading (guys taking up too much space on subways).

Let’s be clear – none of these other forms of entitlement can be separated from how we as men act as if we’re entitled to the bodies of other people, most often women.

There is a direct, demonstrable link between male feelings of entitlement and the incredible rates of sexual violence that we see in the US and elsewhere.

We simply cannot separate manspreading or any other form of male entitlement from sexual violence, intimate partner violence, and male sexual entitlement because they all have the same toxic root: male socialization that tells us we are entitled to take what we want.

Yeah, they just compared taking up too much space on subways to sexual assault.   

That’s why when someone says that we should “focus on more important issues” than how much space men are taking up on the train, I think they’re missing the point. We as men should call out manspreading not because it’s the worst form of sexism but because it’s a symptom of the sickness that is toxic masculinity.

Whether we’re talking about manspreading or endemic sexual and intimate partner violence, the harm caused by male entitlement is men’s problem to solve.

We make the issue of toxic male entitlement our issue when we as men choose to speak out, to call on men to change, and to, perhaps most importantly, work on ourselves.

Guilt and self loathing that’s on par with the Catholic fucking Church. 

And this is just one example of how unbelievable this site is.  The articles are full of the buzzwords and rhetoric you’d find on tumblr, but going through all of them would be time and sanity consuming. 

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
Re: Everyday Feminism, Poe Site?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 01:11:12 am »
I like this cartoon though:

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/11/32-types-anti-feminists/

Although our resident feminist told us there are only two types of anti-feminist and they are not all terrible.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 01:58:19 am »
When I go on the bus tomorrow, thanks to these guys, I'm gonna manspread the shit outta those seats.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 04:57:41 am »

Although our resident feminist told us there are only two types of anti-feminist and they are not all terrible.

Just another knockoff of the "24 types of libertarian" cartoon, but at least it's by the same cartoonist.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 05:52:48 am »
Because the stuff posted on this site is up there with some of the crazier fundie websites.  Here's an article on manspreading (guys taking up too much space on subways).

Let’s be clear – none of these other forms of entitlement can be separated from how we as men act as if we’re entitled to the bodies of other people, most often women.

There is a direct, demonstrable link between male feelings of entitlement and the incredible rates of sexual violence that we see in the US and elsewhere.

We simply cannot separate manspreading or any other form of male entitlement from sexual violence, intimate partner violence, and male sexual entitlement because they all have the same toxic root: male socialization that tells us we are entitled to take what we want.

Yeah, they just compared taking up too much space on subways to sexual assault.

They said they both have their roots in male entitlement and thus are not separable, not that they are equally bad. If I say that staring at someone threateningly because of their ethnicity and lynching them are both symptoms of racism I don't mean to equate them.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 08:19:58 am »
... i'm going to have to disagree that manspreading is male entitlement. i believe it's rather a lack of manners, so rather to be equated with a lack of societal etiquette.

think about it. in crowded areas, you're not gonna spread yourself out so as to accommodate others. it's living in society, because you wouldn't want somebody doing the same to you. maybe some sick people use it to touch women, but they are the minority. in the toulousan metro at least, i see all too often women putting their oversized handbags (backpack sized and up) next to them taking up a seat that an older person could use. just as often, i see ghetto trash (think 12 years old and no parental guidance ever) listening to music on their phone without headphones. it's a lack of manners more than anything, and when you do say something, you're called out for not minding your business. frag's sake, i scared a lady because i apologized for my overcoat brushing her legs and knocking into her grocery bags one day.

i feel that altruism dies in public transportation.

naturally, you're entitled to disagree, but that's my two cents.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 08:36:30 am »
I do agree. I really don't see why "manspreading" is seen as a gender related issue. It's just some inconsiderate fuckstick taking up more than the one seat that they paid for. That's hardly exclusive to men, nor does it have anything to do with gender. It's just good old fashioned being a dick.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 09:05:41 am »
As far as I've understood the argument is that society doesn't put as much pressure for men to be considerate to other persons as it does for women. The way men are socialized to be more aggressive and "take their space" reflects to the body language. For some, this combined with other personality traits results in this particular way of being a dick.

Personally, I haven't paid enough attention to this argument to form a definite opinion if it's completely valid but it does sound like it has at least some credence.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 04:39:18 pm »

I just saw my tumblr dash explode over that cartoon...

Anyway. Yeah, everydayfeminism is not a Poe.
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 05:19:40 pm »

I gotta admit, it was kind of funny.  I disagree with it, but it was still funny.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 08:23:04 pm »

I gotta admit, it was kind of funny.  I disagree with it, but it was still funny.

Same here. 

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 08:24:35 pm »
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 06:08:53 pm »
I think being obnoxious on public transport by taking up too much space is not a gendered issue, both men and women do it. Although perhaps the gendered issue is how it is done. You get the guys spreading their legs or sitting with their feet right out. Whereas women tend to use their bags to occupy extra space.