Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic  (Read 567940 times)

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 04:52:42 pm »
Not complaining. Just expressing a thought. There is a difference, you know. And when i find things incomprehensible, I have this tendency to ask those who don't to explain it. And thanks for the answers. I still don't get it, but now I know why some people do.
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 06:44:13 pm »
Sandy:  A lot of it (at least for me and mine) is that... well, mostly the previously mentioned "doesn't treat the viewers like idiots" bit.  Throw in the actually good songs, some clever jokes that give nods to the old fanbase that grew up with it in the 80's that are parents now... it really surprised a lot of us 80's kids.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 07:21:00 pm »
The thing about Friendship is Magic is that the ponies AREN'T gushing over friendship.  In fact, the only importance friendship has is that it happens to fuel magic.  However, other than that, they are just friends.  They act like real friends would (well, if your friends happened to be a magical unicorn and a flying pegasus)

Twilight Sparkle is a deadpan snarker, like a friendlier, less brooding Raven from Teen Titans (same VA, too)

The show actually deals with some serious issues, sometimes.  Other times, it deals with minor issues.

The weekly aesop is often poked fun at.  And indeed, becomes the entire focus of one episode where Twilight goes literally insane because she doesn't have an aesop to report.  And the aesops even become a plot device in one episode, the second of a two-parter, where they actually make sense as a plot device, and aren't hammered in.

Much of the music is aimed as much at the parents, being based off of music that THEY would have heard.  "Art of the Dress" in particular is excellent, based off of a different song from a movie (or play, I don't know the details)

In short, Sandman, while it may be based off of a franchise that did have a lot of gushing ponies, the show is more like... more like...

...Huh, I'm having a hard time finding a cartoon to compare it to.  It's a slice-of-life cartoon series with about four episodes that have adventure to it.  And the cartoon doesn't even take itself too seriously.  Hell, an animation error became the most popular pony in the show, affectionately known as Derpy Hooves by the fanbase.  And Season 2's developers know this, hence why they started making her a cameo in every episode... and then lampshaded this fact by having her briefly hog the spotlight in the most recent episode.

And I am going on too long about this, so I'm gonna quiet down now.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 08:16:35 pm »
The show actually deals with some serious issues, sometimes.
What sold my brother was that they had to deal with a fuckin' manticore in the second part of the first episode.

Yeah, I consider a manticore to be pretty serious.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 07:40:39 pm by Keiro Dreamwalker »
-A Pen Name

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 08:17:50 pm »
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 08:35:14 pm »
YAY!!! PONIES!!! I'm a proud member of both the cult of Pinkie Pie & Derpy Hooves :D

deadpandoubter

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 10:16:58 pm »
I like it 'cause it's cute, purty, and isn't Spongebob Squarepants (the later seasons sucked hard) or Family Guy lack-of-quality.

And because Spike is the most adorable dragon EVER. *pinches his cheek*

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 10:37:22 pm »
I was a fan of MLP when I was a wee little girl(I still have my ponies from the 80's). I think G4(MLP:FIM) is a great improvement over the other generations. It's not really all that "girly" in nature, look how 2 of the mane 6 are "tomboys"(both Rainbow Dash & Applejack).

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 11:02:17 pm »
I like the fact that they tackle issues that are normally reserved for "menfolk" (such as labor and extreme sports) but do so without blatantly being "I'M A GIRL DOING GUY THINGS, LOVE ME"
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 11:21:44 pm »
And because Spike is the most adorable dragon EVER. *pinches his cheek*

But when he grows up, watch out!

-A Pen Name

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 11:25:03 pm »
Spike goes from adorable to bad ass 8)

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 12:20:29 am »
Hay, they even dealt with freaking racism in an early episode (Hello Zecora, my love <3) and handled it WELL.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 01:15:35 am »
Hay, they even dealt with freaking racism in an early episode (Hello Zecora, my love <3) and handled it WELL.

That's another thing.  The main characters aren't immune to flaws, but unlike other kid's shows, they didn't force the flaws on the characters in a way that made them out of character.  They made it scarily natural.

Zecora is an awesome character and needs another episode dedicated to her.  I also like how they are keeping something of a continuity with the plot, as one episode led her to briefly believe that perhaps the other ponies had become scared of her again.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 01:18:08 am »

That's another thing.  The main characters aren't immune to flaws, but unlike other kid's shows, they didn't force the flaws on the characters in a way that made them out of character.  They made it scarily natural.

Zecora is an awesome character and needs another episode dedicated to her.  I also like how they are keeping something of a continuity with the plot, as one episode led her to briefly believe that perhaps the other ponies had become scared of her again.

Zecora has canon voodoo.  I want to see how that meshes with Equestrian magic in general.  I can totally see Luna and Zecora enjoying tea and playing chess while they talk shop.

Formerly Priestling

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 01:21:59 am »

Zecora has canon voodoo.  I want to see how that meshes with Equestrian magic in general.  I can totally see Luna and Zecora enjoying tea and playing chess while they talk shop.

Not to mention that Zecora would technically be an earth pony.  Who can use magic.

That's just awesome.