Author Topic: Steubenville Verdict is in...  (Read 26125 times)

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: Steubenville Verdict is in...
« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2013, 01:13:48 am »
It does not matter to me what the many, in terms of the town, need. Their entire football team was complicit, they were silent supporters, and not a one has condemned the actions of his team mates.

If Steubenville loses its football team, it loses its football team. Silent supporters need to be punished too.

Society needs to be taught, too, that your throw and whatever average does not make you exempt from crimes. We need to punish more of our young football players for drinking while being underage, for doing what they usually do. They must be taught they CANNOT do what they usually do.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 01:15:53 am by niam2023 »
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2013, 06:48:57 pm »
It does not matter to me what the many, in terms of the town, need. Their entire football team was complicit, they were silent supporters, and not a one has condemned the actions of his team mates.

If Steubenville loses its football team, it loses its football team. Silent supporters need to be punished too.

Society needs to be taught, too, that your throw and whatever average does not make you exempt from crimes. We need to punish more of our young football players for drinking while being underage, for doing what they usually do. They must be taught they CANNOT do what they usually do.

So while I agree in principle that being good at sports shouldn't make you somehow exempt from criminal punishment, would this apply equally to every underage person caught drinking? It seems just as unfair to punish the sports stars disproportionately harshly as it does to punish them disproportionately lightly.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2013, 07:08:55 pm »

So while I agree in principle that being good at sports shouldn't make you somehow exempt from criminal punishment, would this apply equally to every underage person caught drinking? It seems just as unfair to punish the sports stars disproportionately harshly as it does to punish them disproportionately lightly.

I don't see underage drinking anywhere near as serious as rape.  As someone once said "Let the punishment fit the crime".  If that means a harsher sentence for these two, so be it.
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2013, 07:11:29 pm »

I don't see underage drinking anywhere near as serious as rape.  As someone once said "Let the punishment fit the crime".  If that means a harsher sentence for these two, so be it.

That's not what I'm asking: should underage drinking by sports stars be itself punished more harshly than underage drinking by others (assuming everything else is equal)?
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2013, 09:31:41 pm »

That's not what I'm asking: should underage drinking by sports stars be itself punished more harshly than underage drinking by others (assuming everything else is equal)?

Nope, but that's not even applicable here.

The point is that these people need to be taken off their pedestals and treated like anyone else.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2013, 10:16:51 pm »
I don't think underage drinking should even be a crime (I know, then it wouldn't be underage, but whatever).

This case is pretty black and white, I think. There is no "he said she said" and the boys even plead guilty. There is no reason to defend their actions whether the girl was drunk or not.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2013, 11:21:18 pm »
Wait?! Is underage drinking illegal in USA? Usually it is just bying alcohol while minor, or selling alcohol to minors that is illegal. At least in Finland I don't think possession is illegal. (Cops will take it away and notify your parents though.)

That is why parents can give their kids a taste of alcohol so that they can get their first experience to it in a "controlled enviroment" rather than boozing out in some party.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Distind

« Reply #112 on: March 20, 2013, 11:25:11 pm »
Wait?! Is underage drinking illegal in USA? Usually it is just bying alcohol while minor, or selling alcohol to minors that is illegal. At least in Finland I don't think possession is illegal. (Cops will take it away and notify your parents though.)

That is why parents can give their kids a taste of alcohol so that they can get their first experience to it in a "controlled enviroment" rather than boozing out in some party.
Serving is illegal. There may be some provisions for parents serving, but if you're not the legal guardian I do believe you're quite fucked when the cops show up. Not entirely sure on possession, but I do believe it can get you into some kind of trouble.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2013, 11:59:09 pm »

Serving is illegal. There may be some provisions for parents serving, but if you're not the legal guardian I do believe you're quite fucked when the cops show up. Not entirely sure on possession, but I do believe it can get you into some kind of trouble.

Yeah, I do believe that if you're at home and like your dad gives you A beer to drink or something like that, yeah, of course you're not going to get in trouble.  But you can definitely get in trouble if you're even AT a party where there's underage drinking going on, even if you weren't drinking.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2013, 01:15:54 pm »
Underage drinking was just a point I made as an example of principle, as one of those small things football players are let do, when they shouldn't be allowed that privilege unless its afforded in the same way to everyone.

The fact is, we give far too much of a pedestal and too much of a free ride to the sports stars. Its time they start losing some of their demi-god status among our society.

It lets them think bullying people is okay, it lets them think they can get away with everything. Its a damn dangerous attitude to have. Because then you get cases like Steubenville, you get cases where football team members bully gay teens into suicide, and you get an entitled culture in the NFL who feels they can do no wrong.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2013, 08:27:09 pm »
Underage drinking is pretty typical in a high school anyways; it ain't just the football players who get away with it. Very few administrators want to go to the trouble of stamping it out and the cops usually won't get involved unless they're major hardasses or it looks like the party/kids are going to get too out of control, so it tends to slide in most places.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2013, 09:50:08 pm »
AW hell, I just feel like stirring the pot for some reason.

Heroes are held to a higher standard so we should punish them more severely when they fuck up. They are role models for the rest of us and if they can't be an example they should serve as a warning.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2013, 09:53:47 pm »

Heroes are held to a higher standard so we should punish them more severely when they fuck up. They are role models for the rest of us and if they can't be an example they should serve as a warning.

So how do you classify a "hero"?
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2013, 10:00:41 pm »

It also depends on which state you're living in.  I looked up Indiana, and it's completely illegal here.  In some states, however, minors can drink if supervised by a guardian.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2013, 10:02:49 pm »

So how do you classify a "hero"?

Apparently being able to toss a pointy ball around in a high school league ranks high enough on the ranks of heroes for some towns people to abandon ethics in an attempt to protect them.