Author Topic: Teacher says the word vagina in biology class.  (Read 12182 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Teacher says the word vagina in biology class.
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 06:46:27 pm »
From what I understand, actually, there's a little bit more to the story -- unfortunately, the internet isn't necessarily immune to sensationalist reporting, so I'm finding a lot of articles saying more or less the exact same thing (I can't find any straightforward non-opinionated articles)

I did find one source but I'm not sure I trust it either, but it lines up with things I've heard elsewhere.

This doesn't mean that I don't believe this investigation to be bullshit, mind.

http://www.jdjournal.com/2013/03/27/idaho-science-teacher-investigated-for-teaching-methods/
McDaniel said that parents objected to him teaching the biology of an orgasm and used the word ‘vagina’ during the lesson on the reproductive system in a biology class for the tenth grade.

A letter from the Idaho State Department of Education to McDaniel outlined the allegations made against him. They include sharing confidential student documents with a person other than the students’ parents, teaching different forms of birth control, showing a video that depicted an infection of genital herpes and telling inappropriate jokes in class.

The first bolded bit may be important depending on the type of detail involved.

The second bolded bit, if it's true, is definitely wrong and terrible.

That being said, I think they're reaching for things, and that overall this new information doesn't change the fact that this is all bullshit.  Especially if they're citing teaching various methods of birth control as a problem.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 06:52:12 pm »
In my experience, sexual education in American high schools does not teach students how to actually have sex in a safe and enjoyable way. Like, at all. They mostly talk about STDs and pregnancy, go over basic anatomy in a way that makes genitalia really boring, and spend about five seconds on condoms.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 07:33:33 pm »
Like in 'Mean Girls'. IF YOU HAVE SEX, YOU WILL GET CHLAMYDIA, AND DIE!!!
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 08:03:43 pm »
The religious right continues its millennia-long campaign to needlessly ram as much puerile stupidity into the orifices of humanity as can possibly fit.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 09:49:08 pm »
In my experience, sexual education in American high schools does not teach students how to actually have sex in a safe and enjoyable way. Like, at all. They mostly talk about STDs and pregnancy, go over basic anatomy in a way that makes genitalia really boring, and spend about five seconds on condoms.
That's pretty much what I remember.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Itachirumon

• The Buzzing Digital Uke
  • Pope
  • The Highly-Caffinated Borderline Insane Uke
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 10:12:38 pm »
My first sex ed class was in 4th grade, and medical terms were used.

So was my experience - with a video. Of course we had our parents around. We were told that "If you laugh you're immature" - right before the video promptly showed a time-lapse diagram/simulation of an erecting penis (it was drawn) - even most of the adults were snickering.
"Sleep is for the weak
Caffeine is my sacrament
Are those spiders real?"

I do NOT have a dubious relationship to sleep. We had a perfectly ambicable seperation

Ask me about the knife in your back!

When I die, they should process my blood into an energy drink - it'll be called Vampiric, and one dose will cause diabetes... Also, you might see noises.

"No.. can't eat... I'm fucking my catboy"

Art Vandelay

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 10:30:17 pm »
In my primary school sex ed, we were given the all clear to giggle like morons as much as we damn well pleased. I suppose the teacher realised that trying to stop a bunch of 11 year olds from laughing at penises and vaginas was a completely futile endeavour.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 03:46:51 am »
...actually, I'm pretty sure I remember the teacher telling us all to get it out of our systems BEFORE the actual lesson started. And kept repeating 'PENIS. VAGINA. TESTICLES. BREASTS. ERECTION,' over and over, while a class of ten-year-old kids laughed until the words weren't funny anymore. I don't think anybody laughed, except one guy who was the class asshole and got sent from the room and spent the rest of the lesson outside the door pounding on it until someone too him to the office.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2013, 05:36:13 am »
Man, these stories take me back...

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2013, 09:34:23 am »
Our sex education in elementary school was sex-segregated. Apparently in the boys' class, if you laughed at a word you had to go up to the front of the room and say it five times.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2013, 12:06:23 pm »
http://gawker.com/5992659/saying-vagina-during-biology-class-leads-to-investigation-of-idaho-science-teacher

High schoolers aren't old enough to hear words like that!

...It's a biology class.  How the fuck are you supposed to talk about reproduction without naming the organs involved?

And once again, I feel like the odd one out.  The existence of sex was glossed over until I was in high school, and sex ed mostly consisted of the word "Don't."
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 12:08:42 pm by TheL »
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2013, 12:12:01 pm »
That does sum up the bulk of modern religious 'sex education'...

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 02:19:05 pm »
Talk about a bunch of five-year-olds. I hope they realize that, unless they plan on forcing their children to live with them for the rest of their lives, they're going to be exposed to horrifying words like "vagina." And with such sheltering, at least some of them are going to freak the hell out once they're living on their own, without mommy and daddy to shield everything.

I'm reminded of a couple of joke mugs I've seen in novelty magazines.

In one, a little boy and girl are shown in the bathroom (nude from behind). Boy: "No, you can't touch it! You already broke yours off!"

In another, they're shown with the boy balancing on top of the girl's head like in a circus act.
Boy: "Well, we took our clothes off and I climbed on top of you. When does it start feeling good?"
Girl: "I don't know, but I'm already getting a headache!"
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2013, 03:53:51 pm »
http://gawker.com/5992659/saying-vagina-during-biology-class-leads-to-investigation-of-idaho-science-teacher

High schoolers aren't old enough to hear words like that!

...It's a biology class.  How the fuck are you supposed to talk about reproduction without naming the organs involved?
If you think that's bad, wait until they start discussing "pee pee envy."

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 03:56:56 pm »
VAGINA VAGINA VAGINA VAGINA VAGINA

This is basically what it was all about, its sad that we have to be such prudes about sex.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 04:00:10 pm by Empress Nicki »