Author Topic: Redhead feminist goes nuts, MRAs go nuts but like 29384389 times crazier.  (Read 13222 times)

Distind

...though she at least had some level of justification.

How so?

Simply trying to read a statement and being treated that rudely? They wanted her to snap at them like most people would. It's exactly what they wanted her to do to them. Then they could once again claim persecution at the hands of those ever powerful women.

Half the reason you don't react to it is simply to prevent them from getting what they want. They were and are continuing to behave like animals.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
By "MRAs," do you mean the MRAs at the lecture, or anonymous trolls trying to get her goat?  If the former, then you are gravely mistaken.  If the latter,  then I would say that, while the behavior of the trolls is inexcusable, wasting public resources and distracting emergency service personal by falsely pulling the fire alarm is rather bad in its own right.

Edit:  And no, I am not insinuating that she is the one who pulled the alarm.

Do you know what an MRA even is?  We know that she was bad. We even mocked her in the "social justice advocates are my new fundies" thread. It's even in the title. However that doesn't mean YOU POST HER INFO EVERYWHERE or that MRAs aren't fucking insane.
Also, if you don't think she pulled the alarm, then... why are you mentioning it?
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
MRAs have some legitimate grievances.  Unfortunately, most MRAs refuse to repudiate their worst members.  When you're standing next to the guy saying women deserve to be raped, you should make it really clear he's not with you.  It's like the Republican Party's refusal to kick out or sanction their racists and sexist members.  Sure, not all Republicans are such huge asshats.  But when you refuse to stop and say, "The guy talking about wetbacks is kind of a dick, we don't agree with that," you get tarred by the same brush.  By the same measure, when you refuse to say, "the guy who thinks women shouldn't be allowed to say no is wrong," it's hard to take you seriously.  MRAs don't seem to get that.

My suspicion is that they're afraid their support is so small, they're terrified to alienate anyone in their cause.  But by letting the asshats control the message, they sabotage any chance of anyone in the middle listening to them.

Also, the legitimate grievances they have would be addressed in a feminist society, since it wouldn't be assumed a woman's role is raising babies.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
The thing with MRAs is that their points aren't actually their points, they're just distractions. Like when they talk about male suicides and DV, MRAs hardly make any effort to actually HELP men who suffer from that. They just use it to distract from feminist issues. They really don't care about men's rights, they just bash women and feminism and use men's issues as a shield from criticism.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
Some.  Some have actual grievances.  The big ones tend to be child custody and child support.  Often the father is the more fit parent, but the mother will still get custody.  Now, granted, a lot of these cases are filtered through the lens of the MRAs, but there have been cases where the mother is abusive, but still receives custody because the judge decides the father cannot possibly raise children.  Even if the father should gain custody, women are much more likely to receive child support than men, regardless of financial situation.  That's unfortunate.  But they join the same MRA associations as the ones who advocate rape, or say women should be beaten, and they won't kick out the idiots.

And so the crazies run the show.  They control the message.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving the MRAs a pass.  Even if some of them are reasonable, by not distancing themselves from the crazies, they're giving tacit approval of them.  Which empowers the crazies and kills any positive message the others might have.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
The thing with MRAs is that their points aren't actually their points, they're just distractions. Like when they talk about male suicides and DV, MRAs hardly make any effort to actually HELP men who suffer from that. They just use it to distract from feminist issues. They really don't care about men's rights, they just bash women and feminism and use men's issues as a shield from criticism.
Men's rights issues are nothing a good dose of feminism can't fix. I'm just gonna leave this here.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
Some.  Some have actual grievances.  The big ones tend to be child custody and child support.  Often the father is the more fit parent, but the mother will still get custody.  Now, granted, a lot of these cases are filtered through the lens of the MRAs, but there have been cases where the mother is abusive, but still receives custody because the judge decides the father cannot possibly raise children.  Even if the father should gain custody, women are much more likely to receive child support than men, regardless of financial situation.  That's unfortunate.  But they join the same MRA associations as the ones who advocate rape, or say women should be beaten, and they won't kick out the idiots.

And so the crazies run the show.  They control the message.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving the MRAs a pass.  Even if some of them are reasonable, by not distancing themselves from the crazies, they're giving tacit approval of them.  Which empowers the crazies and kills any positive message the others might have.

What Rabbit said.
I know that men have issues. Feminists know this too. However the premise of the MRM is that feminism is wrong. That's not the "fringe" people, that's the actual core of the movement. I mean, look at the leaders of major MRM sites, like AVFM.
The irony is that the true "fringe" in the movement are the few who are introduced to the movement thinking it's about saving men from their issues, and don't realize that actual leaders are crazy misogynists. They don't bother to help men at all*. They think equality = beating women and making fun of their looks, simply because men can suffer from DV, rape, and societies beauty standards too.

The issues that they talk about are actually things that feminists don't even support, and try to help too. Of course there are radfems, but they don't run much in the feminist movement. Things like men being expected to pay for meals and lead the house are the faults of patriarchy, the thing that feminism is trying to stop.

*Unless this counts as helping men: http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterfliesandwheels/2012/03/frivolous-law-suit-dismissed/

Also, I know you aren't trying to promote their craziness, but my point is, they are that crazy.

Offline Whore of Spamylon

• Bishop
Simply trying to read a statement and being treated that rudely?

How do you know it wasn’t she who was doing the interrupting?  From what I saw and heard, her tone of voice greatly overshadowed the MRAs at any given moment, and it also seems that she got in the lion’s share of dialogue as well.  For all we know, she could have whipped out the list while someone else was talking to her, but the video isn’t clear as to who initiated the talking, nor is it clear about whose turn it was to talk.

They wanted her to snap at them like most people would.

Indeed, she “snapped,” and she just continued snapping until the protesters moved to the entrance of the lecture hall where she joined with the chorus of disruptive screaming right outside where the lecture was taking place.

The narrative that she just “snapped” might be true if it wasn’t for this, but given how even the video that Man Boobz posted had her yelling shut the fuck up (just one of many instances, though the Manboobz article would have you believe it was just once) within seconds of the video starting suggests otherwise.

And as thejebusfire pointed out in the F&B thread (hat tip Auggziliary), her "snapping" sounds par-for-the-course for her personality.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWuLVtH6vgM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWuLVtH6vgM</a>

"The sad part is she was sining “Cry Me A River” to a story about a man who killed himself, and why he did it."

It's exactly what they wanted her to do to them. Then they could once again claim persecution...

Indeed, after the totally courteous behavior that she and the other protesters demonstrated right outside the lecture hall, how on earth would anybody get the idea that they might be victims?!

And, if you didn’t figure it out by now, yes, I am being sarcastic.

...at the hands of those ever powerful women.

When you say “the ever powerful women,” I was wondering if you would consider GirlWritesWhat/Karen Straughan (Youtube handle and real name, respectivly), Erin Pizzey (founder of one of the first domestic violence shelters in the world), Typhon Blue/Asha James (Youtube handle and real name, respectively), Dr. Elly Tams, TheWoolybumblebee/Kristina Hansen (Youtube handle and real name, respectively), Dr. Tara Palmatier, Suzanne McCarley, Dr. Katherine Young, and Janice Fiamengo to be women?

Do you know what an MRA even is? 

It means men’s ri...oh wait, I meant to say that I done don’t know who these MRA types are, because I just can’t gosh darm look up acronyms with Google search, herp derp.

We know that she was bad. We even mocked her in the "social justice advocates are my new fundies" thread. It's even in the title. However that doesn't mean YOU POST HER INFO EVERYWHERE or that MRAs aren't fucking insane.

Also, if you don't think she pulled the alarm, then... why are you mentioning it?

Seriously, this needs explaining to you?

Though, now that you mentioned it, while there is video evidence that she didn’t pull the alarm, she does appear to be going woohoo along with the rest of the protesters when the alarm is pulled.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO_X4DkwA_Q" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO_X4DkwA_Q</a>

While your title does acknowledge that this woman isn’t of the sanest mind, the link that you posted is pretending as though she is an innocent bystander while the MRAs at the event were of in a shadowy corner, twitteling their handle bar mustaches, all the while making no mention of the protester’s actions.

Perhaps I am mentioning it in order to juxtaposition the protesters behavior at this event (especially their behavior outside the lecture hall) with the actions of the MRAs specifically at the event, because the narrative that the MRAs were crazier doesn’t hold up to video evidence.

Also, I say MRAs “specifically at the event” for a reason.  I mean, one can comb through the comments section of a feminist blog, cherry pick misandrist comments, and then proclaim that these commenters represent the whole of feminist.  Of course, some might consider that dishonest, because it is. 

One can also point to anecdotal instances of self-proclaimed feminists stalking and/or doxxing their critics, and then proceed to proclaim that these individuals are representative of the whole of feminism.  of course, some might consider that dishonest, because it is. 

Whenever a self-proclaimed feminist says or does something that is universally frowned upon, they are dismissed as “redscum” that are not to associated with true, rational feminist (and such dismissing does seem to sound like a variant of the No True Scotsman fallacy).  Yet, when a self-proclaimed MRA (or just someone who is assumed to be an MRA) says or does something that is universally frowned upon, many people around here don’t seem to afford the movement the same luxury of distinguishing between gender egalitarian MRAs and self-proclaimed MRAs that are engaging in misogyny.

That said, doing a quick search of A Voice for Men (the group that many MRAs at the event seem to be associated with), on the main page, I found three quotes.  Of these quotes, all of them are from commenters.

And the strawman comment of the year goes to...

Any examples that don’t include a blog commenter here and a forum poster there?

In regards to the bolded part:  What about the efforts of Erin Pizzey (as mentioned above, a founder of one of the first DV shelters in the world), and Earl Silverman (who recently killed himself soon after the closing of his male victim DV shelter due to a lack of personal funds and grants, grants that female-only DV shelters don’t seem to have a problem getting)?  Do they “hardly make any effort to actually help men”?

I know that men have issues. Feminists know this too. However the premise of the MRM is that feminism is wrong. That's not the "fringe" people, that's the actual core of the movement. I mean, look at the leaders of major MRM sites, like AVFM.

While I, too, don’t care for how MRAs paint feminism with a broad brush, I also don’t like how feminist paint the MRM with a broad brush either.

The irony is that the true "fringe" in the movement are the few who are introduced to the movement thinking it's about saving men from their issues, and don't realize that actual leaders are crazy misogynists. They don't bother to help men at all*. They think equality = beating women and making fun of their looks, simply because men can suffer from DV, rape, and societies beauty standards too.

Please find one article on the AVfM article that advocates pre-emptive assault of women.

The issues that they talk about are actually things that feminists don't even support, and try to help too. Of course there are radfems, but they don't run much in the feminist movement.

I don’t know how to quantitatively asses the bolded statement, but radfems don’t seem too hard to come across.

Things like men being expected to pay for meals and lead the house are the faults of patriarchy, the thing that feminism is trying to stop.

Some feminist do try to help, and some feminist only pay lip service and/or put men’s issues on the back burner (I guess the latter found out that sarcastically stating “what about the menz” doesn’t seem to make for good PR), hence, why some people, men and women both, who want men’s issues to be put at the forefront look at many feminist organizations as being ineffective in that endeavor, especially if a feminist organization happens to support the, quite frankly, misandrist Duluth model for domestic violence response.

*Unless this counts as helping men:http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterfliesandwheels/2012/03/frivolous-law-suit-dismissed/

The chair part, no.  Men’s only gym sessions?  That depends if there exist women’s only gym sessions.  As for disproportion of advertising for women’s services vs. men’s services:  That depends upon if we are talking about, say, bulletin boards with ads from private student organizations, etc. or whether we are talking about advertising by the university itself.

As for the whore remark.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/whore

Definition of WHORE

: a woman who engages in sexual acts for money : prostitute; also : a promiscuous or immoral woman
: a male who engages in sexual acts for money
: a venal or unscrupulous person

The term whore is neither gender specific, nor does it always characterize sexual acts, as demonstrated with the highlighted definition.  Take, for example, the term corporate whore.

Furthermore, I am sure Erin Pizzey has put forth more than her fair share in terms of societal contribution.  And what has she gotten for suggesting that domestic violence is reciprocal instead of a male-perpetrator only affair?  Why, only death threats and boycotts of course.

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” - William Gibson

Offline Danarth

• Apprentice
I don't understand why she's a feminist in the first place. She's not bad looking, and could be pretty hot if she wanted to be.

Wow. Just...wow.

Objectifying a woman and you don't realize how much of an prick that makes you?

Wow.

Distind

If taking sarcasm out of it helps, they were acting like cunts and got called on it. Both sides really, which is kinda why I pointed out she gave the MRAs exactly what they always want.

If neither side behaves any better than the other I see no reason not to mock both of them.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
Simply trying to read a statement and being treated that rudely?

How do you know it wasn’t she who was doing the interrupting?  From what I saw and heard, her tone of voice greatly overshadowed the MRAs at any given moment, and it also seems that she got in the lion’s share of dialogue as well.  For all we know, she could have whipped out the list while someone else was talking to her, but the video isn’t clear as to who initiated the talking, nor is it clear about whose turn it was to talk.

She was the one who was interrupting. She would ask the MRAs a question and before they could answer, she would tell them to shut up.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

• The Beast
Somehow I totally missed that spirited defense of the misogynist "Voice for Men" site.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
And how Catalyst seems to be a member of it.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
Somehow I totally missed that spirited defense of the misogynist "Voice for Men" site.

Show me articles that can be described as misogynistic.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

• The Beast

Show me articles that can be described as misogynistic.
The entire site is disgusting and misogynist, especially since it's headed by Paul Elam who disturbingly told his audience that he likes "to look at women that are little fuckmuffins" and that "fuckmuffin should be regarded with same respect as you would afford a stinging insect." He has a site called "Register Her", a purported "offenders registry" for women who supposedly make false rape/abuse accusations. As he said on the AVfM radio show:

If Mary Jane Rottencrotch out there wants to say that her husband beat her just for the sake of gaining leverage in a divorce he will now have a resource where he can come and post your name, your picture, your work telephone number, your address, perhaps even your route you take to get to work, if you bother to have a job.

So there, now every batterer and their cousin can say their partner made a false accusation against them and have all their contact information posted online. Bonus points for being a great way to stalk someone. When one feminist took issue with Register Her, Elam responded by saying, "[...]I am not going to stop.  You see, I find you, as a feminist, to be a loathsome, vile piece of human garbage.  I find you so pernicious and repugnant that the idea of fucking your shit up gives me an erection." Classy. And Register Her isn't just for women who supposedly make false rape accusations, it's for any woman who commits any misandrist slight--real or imaginary. For example, feminist author Jessica Valenti and actress Katherine Heigl are villified on the site. Heigl's crime is especially interesting: she starred in a Funny or Die video about spaying and neutering pets, which is apparently tantamount to "endors[ing] male targeted sexual mutilation." ::)

Paul Elam hates people who desire equality for women so much, he has actually equated "feminists, manginas, white knights and other agents of misandry" with neo-Nazis and Klansmen. His reaction to female soldiers on the frontline was equally precious:

First, the only way this new policy will have any meaning will be if it is mandatory that women face combat on the front lines. With 20% of the military being comprised of women, that means roughly 20% of combat related fatalities should be female. 1 in 5 of body bags being filled overseas should contain the bodies of mothers, sisters, daughters, wives and girlfriends.

Maybe this gives Elam an erection too? At any rate, this is a hate site for spiteful misogynists, nothing more.