Author Topic: Food Network says "NO MORE BUTTER!"  (Read 8812 times)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Re: Food Network says "NO MORE BUTTER!"
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 05:54:29 pm »
Yeah, I don't think Deen is racist, but she should have known better.

wrightway

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2013, 06:08:38 pm »
My eyes are spinning they're rolling so hard over this.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 12:17:58 am »
http://www.scribd.com/doc/148832518/Paula-Deen-Deposition-Testimony

This is the actual court deposition from which quotes are being booted about in the press. Jackson's quotes, not Deen's. Deen is then interrogated and responds. Do you want to read her side of it or not? If so, use the link and scroll to page 17 of 26 (the blue font indicates online page breaks).

The reason I am going out on a limb with this story is that it is causing a similar web storm as the one when the late, unlamentable teahadi, Andrew Breitbart, libeled an innocent Dept of Agriculture employee, Shirley Sherrod, as a racist. The woman was basically web-lynched, and lost her job because the Secretary of Agriculture panicked at all the awful political fallout he perceived coming out of her alleged racist statements.
Although in this case Paula Deen admitted both to having used the racial slur before as well as planning the plantation wedding. I doubt there's anything she can say to make this okay now.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 12:32:27 am »

This is the actual court deposition from which quotes are being booted about in the press. Jackson's quotes, not Deen's. Deen is then interrogated and responds. Do you want to read her side of it or not? If so, use the link and scroll to page 17 of 26 (the blue font indicates online page breaks).

The reason I am going out on a limb with this story is that it is causing a similar web storm as the one when the late, unlamentable teahadi, Andrew Breitbart, libeled an innocent Dept of Agriculture employee, Shirley Sherrod, as a racist. The woman was basically web-lynched, and lost her job because the Secretary of Agriculture panicked at all the awful political fallout he perceived coming out of her alleged racist statements.
Although in this case Paula Deen admitted both to having used the racial slur before as well as planning the plantation wedding. I doubt there's anything she can say to make this okay now.
So just because she said nigger at some point in time, she automatically deserves to lose her entire career, regardless of actual intent or context? Don't you think that's just a tad extreme?

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 12:37:58 am »

So just because she said nigger at some point in time, she automatically deserves to lose her entire career, regardless of actual intent or context? Don't you think that's just a tad extreme?
Pretty sure it's not just her saying the n-word, but as far as Paula Deen's career goes?

She can go sit in the shame corner with Mel Gibson and Michael Richards.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 12:46:46 am »
Pretty sure it's not just her saying the n-word, but as far as Paula Deen's career goes?

I believe Mellen already explained why it would be wise to hold off on the lynching mob.

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 12:50:04 am »

I believe Mellen already explained why it would be wise to hold off on the lynching mob.
I never asked for a lynching, but I'm not shedding any tears over her losing her show because she fucked up.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 12:59:11 am »
Have you read the sworn deposition? Plantation theme weddings are common in the South at historic mansions and such. In fact, it is a major aspect of the wedding industry in the South.  Deen's sworn testimony did not suggest anything in the derogatory manner as she is accused of by Jackson. Jackson did not file her lawsuit until after Deen settled out of court on a different dispute with a chef's tour promoter. Jackson has not yet filed complaints with the appropriate state or federal agencies in re the horrendous, abusive, hostile workplace and owner harassment allegations in this suit. Why?

Jackson is seeking in excess of 1 million dollars in damages.

Jackson did not even claim that Deen used the n-word in her sworn deposition - the n-word is not attributed to Deen in Jackson's sworn testimony under oath in front of the judge.  But her lawyers added it in a second version, amended complaint, under point number 61 - and not even as a sworn affidavit. All of that is pointed out by the defense team within the legal court proceeding record I linked to. Jackson has not accused Deen of saying the n-word while under oath. That says a lot. But it isn't exciting and inflammatory and does not help sell ads on news sites, apparently. After re-reading articles at major news sites in light of having read the deposition, I have a very sour regard for the state of journalistic ethics in this country. I had hoped that a lesson was learned in the Shirley Sherrod case. Maybe a lesson was learned, but not the one I have in mind. They did learn that being first, fast and furious with a hot button story makes money. So what if an innocent person's reputation - as is in fact the case with Sherrod, and may well prove the case with Deen -  is ruined in that process.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 01:10:37 am by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 01:10:10 am »
Have you read the sworn deposition? Plantation theme weddings are common in the South at historic mansions and such. In fact, it is a major aspect of the wedding industry in the South.
And you're saying it's common to want to dress black men and women like Civil War-era slaves for a wedding? I  somehow doubt that...

So yeah, even if not all of these allegations are true, the stuff she's admitted to and issued a comedic apology for (starring some black guy she trotted out to prove she's not racist) is bad enough. Innocent? Hardly. And unless she's being taken horribly out of context like Shirley Sherrod I don't even think those are in the same ballpark. So long, Paula.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 01:32:02 am »
Are you also appalled by the fact that historical re-enactment societies conduct Civil War battle enactments? And that actual real live Black people participate, because they are history buffs and enthusiasts, too? That is what these Plantation enactment weddings are like. Even the guests must wear historically accurate attire, at the better done ones. They are not glorifying slavery, they are preserving history, and often raising money to preserve historic places and buildings as an additional aspect of the wedding experience. Since a huge swath of the South was burned down during Sherman's very necessary march to end the Civil War, few of these places are left in a lot of states. In Atlanta, for example, one - 1 - pre-war home was left standing, Wren's Nest, at Sherman's specific orders.

If we sweep history under the rug because it offends our sensibilities, then as the saying goes, perhaps we doom ourselves to repeat it, especially the bad parts. If we are unable to forgive the use of an offensive word under any circumstance and to the point that the offender must be essentially banned from society, then clearly, the Civil War never ended. Paula Deen admitted under oath that she utter that forbidden word, thirty years ago, when she worked at a bank that was robbed at gunpoint. If she experienced the kind of terror and outrage that I did when I was robbed at gunpoint, then I wish you would let her off the noose about it. I only meant it as the most hateful thing I could think of to say at THAT MAN, the man who violated my safety with a weapon for no good reason. I hated THAT MAN, the one who just robbed me and terrorized me. I also immediately felt guilty about saying that word. It is a hateful and fateful and powerful word when said in anger and with loathing, even if only meant for a single individual.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 01:35:55 am »
There's a huge difference between a re-enactment and a wedding.  A wedding is indeed glorifying it.

Just because plantation-themed weddings are common does not mean that they are excusable.  Quite frankly, I'm pretty horrified that they are common.  Then again, rampant racism is ALSO common in these exact same cultures that seem to be obsessed with plantation-era America.  It's a very strong correlation.

And every time someone blames it on JUST her saying the n-word at some point in the past, I have to think that they either don't know all of the facts, or they're intentionally missing the point if they DO know all of the facts, which is disingenuous and an insult to everyone's intelligence, including their own.

I don't give a shit what she did when the POTUS visited her show.  That doesn't mean she's not racist, anymore than saying "I have black friends" means you aren't racist.

So can we please stop the Paula Deen apologetics?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 01:38:11 am by Magus Silveresti »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 01:51:29 am »
Okay, then I qualify as a racist under those stipulations, because I have uttered the n-word before, okay?

And just for the sake of record, Rabbit, at least I have actually been inside the office of the Southern Poverty Law Center, back when I gave a sworn affidavit of record in re being attacked by skinheads for being a lesbian. So, yeah, I have experienced both ends of human hate and irrationality.

The lawsuit is continuing. Hopefully the press will be monitoring, all of it, and not just reiterating Jackson's side of the story.

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 02:01:12 am »
Are you also appalled by the fact that historical re-enactment societies conduct Civil War battle enactments? And that actual real live Black people participate, because they are history buffs and enthusiasts, too?.
Yes that totally sounds like the same thing, having black people dress as slaves and serving white guests at a wedding. Paula Deen: History buff.

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 02:01:33 am »
There's a huge difference between a re-enactment and a wedding.  A wedding is indeed glorifying it.

Just because plantation-themed weddings are common does not mean that they are excusable.  Quite frankly, I'm pretty horrified that they are common.  Then again, rampant racism is ALSO common in these exact same cultures that seem to be obsessed with plantation-era America.  It's a very strong correlation.

And every time someone blames it on JUST her saying the n-word at some point in the past, I have to think that they either don't know all of the facts, or they're intentionally missing the point if they DO know all of the facts, which is disingenuous and an insult to everyone's intelligence, including their own.

I don't give a shit what she did when the POTUS visited her show.  That doesn't mean she's not racist, anymore than saying "I have black friends" means you aren't racist.

So can we please stop the Paula Deen apologetics?
This. All of it. Thank you.

As for the black friends, seriously did anyone see her apology where she brought out some black guy and told him to come closer because he was blending in with the blackboard in the background?

• The Beast
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 02:04:29 am »
And just for the sake of record, Rabbit, at least I have actually been inside the office of the Southern Poverty Law Center, back when I gave a sworn affidavit of record in re being attacked by skinheads for being a lesbian. So, yeah, I have experienced both ends of human hate and irrationality.
Thank you for the non sequitur?