Author Topic: Food Network says "NO MORE BUTTER!"  (Read 8813 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Food Network says "NO MORE BUTTER!"
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 12:49:07 pm »
Okay, then I qualify as a racist under those stipulations, because I have uttered the n-word before, okay?

Oh for fuck's sake, stop with the red herrings.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2013, 05:06:20 pm »
mellon I think what you're failing to understand is this.  Food Network does not want the kind of bad publicity harboring anyone who casually uses a racist term and plans a birthday party that'd be appropriate 200 years ago.  It doesn't matter how much the bitch is suing for.  All that matters is Paula Deen, under fucking oath, admitted to using the n-word.

Ironbite-seriously think about this from Food Network's side for a moment.

Distind

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2013, 05:33:17 pm »
Yes, let's all have the moral direction of a panicky board of directors.

Think for a second folks, she's 66, born in 1947, grew up white in the south in a time where the KKK could openly walk on washington and be widely supported. If she said she hadn't she would have been lying. The rest of it... well, welcome to old southern people. I say this as someone who had to deal with his own ass of a grandfather who came from largely the same background before moving to NY around 50 years ago. You'd be fucking amazed at what people don't realize is wrong until you forcibly point it out to them. I still can't find quite the right words for my grandfather coming around to my fiancee enough to tell her his jokes about the i-talians.

Of course, it's worth noting, just because it's common in the south doesn't make it any less horrible or stupid. Yes, let's celebrate the wonderful history of plantations! This is a brilliant idea, sure not to offend any one or make you look bad. To old southerners at least. Everyone else... some may just shake their head, others will act like you just shook a baby.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2013, 05:37:07 pm »
It's not even the "n-word" that I'm angry with her about.  It's the fact that everyone keeps focusing on it while neglecting to mention the fucking plantation party thing, and focusing on the damn n-word when people are talking about the DAMN PLANTATION PARTY.

It's like complaining that people hate Bush because he said nukular instead of nuclear, when the people are complaining about other things.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2013, 06:14:15 pm »
Magus, just do an image search for Plantation Wedding on Google. Prepare to be bored out of your mind by hundreds of wedding and reception pictures from site after site of wedding planners and historic plantation homes. Not gonna find anybody dressed as a slave, okay? Was that really what you imagined these events are like?

As to white jacket, white shirt, black pants, black bow tie being slave attire on a black waiter. Ever been to the Palm in New York, or any of that restaurant company's locations? Well, looks like every black server on staff is a slave waiter by that definition. What Deen testified to is a classic formal waiter's uniform, only, and was never slave attire, as the uniform did not exist at all, or at least not in the form and cut she was describing, until the twentieth century. The context of her recalling the professionalism and class of the all male, all black waiter staff at the restaurant she visited is only presumably insidious if you think that Lisa Jackson's complaint is 100% truthful, sincere, and what's the point of having trials, courts, judges and juries then?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2013, 08:20:31 pm »
Magus, just do an image search for Plantation Wedding on Google. Prepare to be bored out of your mind by hundreds of wedding and reception pictures from site after site of wedding planners and historic plantation homes. Not gonna find anybody dressed as a slave, okay? Was that really what you imagined these events are like?
No, just Paula Deen's.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2013, 11:40:31 pm »
...*siiighhhhs* How about we all chill out?

My view on it is that Paula Deen has done other stupid things in the past, and that this latest incident was the straw that broke the camel's back and made Food Network have to make the call on it.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2013, 12:26:27 am »
Mellen, except for the fact that pretty much every source linked on here has stated that she constantly mistreated minority employees, and that her white employees were all paid more, and was actually quite racist to her darker employees.

Cholesterol queen Deen, talking at an event months before losing her job for using the “N-word,” recounted how her great-grandfather was driven to suicide after his 30 slaves were set free.

“Between the death of his son and losing all the workers, he went out into his barn and shot himself because he couldn’t deal with those kind of changes,” Deen said at a New York Times event.

Deen, owner of a restaurant empire, asserted the owner-slave relationship was more kinship than cruelty.

“Back then, black folk were such an integral part of our lives,” said Deen. “They were like our family, and for that reason we didn’t see ourselves as prejudiced.”

She also called up an employee to join her onstage, noting that Hollis Johnson was “as black as this board” — pointing to the dark backdrop behind her.

“We can’t see you standing in front of that dark board!” Deen quipped, drawing laughter from the audience.
At the same event, Deen at one point described race relations in the South as “pretty good.”

Robert Patillo, an attorney for Rainbow/PUSH, a civil rights group founded by the Rev. Jesse Jackson, Jr., said one current and two former employees told him white employees are routinely paid more than black employees and are promoted more quickly. A black man who had threatened to go to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission said Deen's brother told him "you don't have any civil rights here," Rainbow/PUSH said in a press release.

Rainbow/PUSH said it has "found evidence of systemic racial discimination and harassment" by Deen and that "a family member consistently referred to a black cook as 'my little monkey.'"

Patillo, who conducted interviews in Savannah where Deen's restaurant is located, said current and former employees told him that Deen "preferred white and light-skinned blacks to work with customers" and that darker-skinned blacks were relegated to "back-of-the-house operations."

Patillo said employees have been reluctant to talk to him about their experience with Deen because they fear retaliation.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/paula-deen-appears-defend-slavery-2012-interview-article-1.1379912
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/23/paula-deen-scandal-continues-employees-tell-rainbow-push-alleged-discrimination_n_3484607.html
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 12:36:21 am by TGRwulf »
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2013, 10:23:36 am »
Mellen, except for the fact that pretty much every source linked on here has stated that she constantly mistreated minority employees, and that her white employees were all paid more, and was actually quite racist to her darker employees.

Cholesterol queen Deen, talking at an event months before losing her job for using the “N-word,” recounted how her great-grandfather was driven to suicide after his 30 slaves were set free.

“Between the death of his son and losing all the workers, he went out into his barn and shot himself because he couldn’t deal with those kind of changes,” Deen said at a New York Times event.

Deen, owner of a restaurant empire, asserted the owner-slave relationship was more kinship than cruelty.

“Back then, black folk were such an integral part of our lives,” said Deen. “They were like our family, and for that reason we didn’t see ourselves as prejudiced.”

You know I honestly don't see a problem with this by itself. In fact, I see whitewashing history and denying any humanity or sympathy to those who find themselves on the wrong side of it a far greater evil than having a few stories that show they weren't complete assholes. Paint people as simple evil monsters and you will never learn why these things happen, how even us 'good' people can fall into darkness, and leaves very little room for possible rehabilitation and redemption.

She also called up an employee to join her onstage, noting that Hollis Johnson was “as black as this board” — pointing to the dark backdrop behind her.

“We can’t see you standing in front of that dark board!” Deen quipped, drawing laughter from the audience.
At the same event, Deen at one point described race relations in the South as “pretty good.”

I know Canada is a far different place from the Deep South, but up here it is quite possible to make jokes like that with friends of differing ethnicities... if they are cool with it. One of my friends at work and I joke about 'blaming the black guy' pretty regularly, but it only started after he began making the joke about himself first so we knew he was cool about it.

Of course, this is between friends and equals and not in front of a large studio audience. In Deen's case, not knowing the relationship between the two, it may have been a perfectly innocent thing to say, but it was an absolutely stupid place to say it.

Robert Patillo, an attorney for Rainbow/PUSH, a civil rights group founded by the Rev. Jesse Jackson, Jr., said one current and two former employees told him white employees are routinely paid more than black employees and are promoted more quickly. A black man who had threatened to go to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission said Deen's brother told him "you don't have any civil rights here," Rainbow/PUSH said in a press release.

Rainbow/PUSH said it has "found evidence of systemic racial discimination and harassment" by Deen and that "a family member consistently referred to a black cook as 'my little monkey.'"

Patillo, who conducted interviews in Savannah where Deen's restaurant is located, said current and former employees told him that Deen "preferred white and light-skinned blacks to work with customers" and that darker-skinned blacks were relegated to "back-of-the-house operations."

Patillo said employees have been reluctant to talk to him about their experience with Deen because they fear retaliation.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/paula-deen-appears-defend-slavery-2012-interview-article-1.1379912
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/23/paula-deen-scandal-continues-employees-tell-rainbow-push-alleged-discrimination_n_3484607.html

Now this is pretty damning, and if true, she should burn for it. It does sound as though she is paying in part for the sins of her brother but if she didn't shut his nonsense down she deserves to because it is her restaurant.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2013, 12:57:50 pm »
]http://chronicle.augusta.com/latest-news/2012-09-14/paula-deen-case-stays-federal-court]
This is an interesting article, as it shows some more odd behavior. Lawyerly stuff. But it is a bit stinky looking. Not exciting, because it is from long before this current publicity about the case.
(click to show/hide)

Just to clarify, I have not stated that I am a fan of Deen's show. I've seen it a few times when watching TV with my late mother. Like most restaurant professionals, I prefer Iron Chef and Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. I am also not a fan of plantation weddings or other precious princess/bridezilla indulgences, but explained that they are commonplace here, mostly to show they are not unique to Deen. People also like to do weddings at Viscaya in Miami - Al Capone's old estate - because it is pretty, and they sometimes do 1930's Mafia style theme weddings there. Tacky, yes; he was a terrible, murderous man, and the Mob were god awful in general along those lines. Plantations are soaked in centuries of blood, too. Both Viscaya and plantations are also beautiful settings as to architectural grandeur and landscaping, which is the main reason people get married at them. However, even the over-the-top historical re-enactment theme plantation weddings are not quite the scene of macabre, nightmarish extravaganza that seem to be popping up in people's minds.

The main point of my postings and arguments are about the web and media flame up, which I see as very similar in scope and vehemence to what happened in Shirley Sherrod's case. Whether Deen is guilty of any, all, or none of the allegations has not yet been determined in the court. Not that it matters at this point, one way or the other. She is completely destroyed as of days ago. 'Tis moot, in other words.

Again, as I stated in earlier postings, the allegations are extremely alarming and describing egregious, outrageous abuse. I have been a general manager and a co-owner/general manager in my 35 year career in the fine dining restaurant business. Normally, that fact would make me a natural ally of Jackson. But things are being done out of order, way, way, way late, and in the inappropriate method if you are a caring, professional manager who is doing your legal and moral duty to protect your employees, and yourself.

I would like to know why Ms. Jackson did not alert the EEOC, the Dept. of Labor, etc. to get help for her employees and stop that abuse. It is her legal responsibility to do that. It can be done anonymously. As stated in the required Notice Postings that should be on display in every workplace for every employee to refer to. "Fear of retaliation" is no excuse in her case, and it should not be any employee's fear, either. The laws protect the safety and anonymity of whistleblowers. They are not named publicly prior to the criminal court trial that follows when the agencies swoop down and investigate the allegations and find confirming evidence.  A general manager is by definition and scope of responsibility legally a proxy owner. They hire, they supervise, they sign checks, they prepare tax return documentation and they are required by law to read and sign acknowledgement forms, which are then kept on file by those agencies, of all state and federal workplace laws, codes of conduct, safety procedures, IRS reporting procedures, OSHA safety procedures, Worker's Compensation Insurance procedures, etc. etc. etc. 

WHY, in the course of her five years' tenure as general manager, did Ms. Jackson not alert the authorities? If she or any employee had done so, these allegations would have generated an immediate acknowledgement from the feds and/or state agencies. Those agencies would have then conducted a thorough investigation, interviewing every one, auditing the company's documents, emails, etc. When evidence indicating and/or confirming abuses is gathered, the agents then file criminal court proceedings. After the criminal case is concluded, and wrong doing is proved and a conviction results, is when you file suit for compensatory and/or punitive damages. You don't sit on your butt for five years, while your employees and you suffer under a monstrous owner and his pig headed sister co-owner, and then suddenly decide to file 1.2 million dollar lawsuit. Which, coink-a-dinkily, was filed right after the defendant settled out of court on a completely different matter, which you, as a daily witness, a general manager, being privy to owner conversations as a matter of routine, may actually have heard just how much cash was handed over.

As to Deen's future, I only hope she does not hurt herself or lose her mind. Whether she's a stupid old bigot or not. Human beings are rarely all evil, or all good. As a southerner, I do not so much condone or apologize or rationalize the behavior of old bigots, as I just am embarrassed and bored by them. We are surrounded, all of us, every where, by human stupidity and blind ignorance. That's pretty much a given. I don't really see how the raging and shit storming all over the media and web by private citizens and journalists and corporate spokes units over the belief or proof that she is an old bigot is going to help any victim, or educate the bigot, for that matter.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2013, 07:29:23 pm »
Has anyone else been repeatedly exposed to the stupidity of “well black people call white people cracker and use the n-words so that makes it ok”? The line of think that rap justifies racism. Because I have heard this all too many times over the last few days.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2013, 07:33:49 pm »
Has anyone else been repeatedly exposed to the stupidity of “well black people call white people cracker and use the n-words so that makes it ok”? The line of think that rap justifies racism. Because I have heard this all too many times over the last few days.

Yes.  It is easily one of the dumbest arguments I've ever heard.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2013, 07:39:55 pm »
Yeah, I would not even dignify that by calling it a "line of reasoning". Just clueless redneck derp.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2013, 08:20:15 pm »
A small note here (that will probably have most of the forum giving me "WTF?" looks), but my best friend (who is black) and I affectionately refer to each other as the n-word and cracker.  It's our way of going "they're just words.  Historical context matters, dipshits, but this is just silly."
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2013, 11:19:38 am »
A small note here (that will probably have most of the forum giving me "WTF?" looks), but my best friend (who is black) and I affectionately refer to each other as the n-word and cracker.  It's our way of going "they're just words.  Historical context matters, dipshits, but this is just silly."

Sounds similar to me calling my (older) brother "bitch" casually.  Shit, him and my friend Tyrone call eachother "honky" and "nigga" all the time in jest.  Granted, T's...well, autistic, but he knows a game when it pops up.  As part of casual conversation with anyone, yeah, not dropping N-bombs is a good thing, but like so many things, context -is- important.  (For the record, bro's usage is more of a 'hood thing; he's about as racist as I am, which is to say pretty much not at all.)

That said, some of this crap does make Paula Deen look like an actual, dyed-in-the-wool racist.  I only use Food Network's site for recipes, and quite frankly, Paula Deen just creeps me the fuck out, for some reason.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.