Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic  (Read 568719 times)

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
« Reply #345 on: February 06, 2012, 01:05:06 pm »
Why do I like the show?  Well, there's quite a combination of factors.

The girls each have distinct and unique personalities.
  • Each personality plays off of another, and the show derives a decent portion of its humor from this
  • The personalities are diverse and realistic enough that you're very likely to associate with at least one of the ponies.
  • Even when you don't normally associate with a pony, the writers put the ponies in enough situations in which you're likely to associate with a character you otherwise normally wouldn't
  • The voice actors really help to bring the characters alive.
  • Although it's not canon, the fanfic writers will flesh out background ponies or ponies that get less screentime
The show isn't afraid to be cartoony/zany at times.
  • Many of the people working on this cartoon are used to working on cartoons without a girly stigma or history.
  • Slapstick knows no gender.

Meh, this list could be longer, and maybe I'll elaborate more later.  The point is that this cartoon isn't afraid to have fun.  Oh yeah, and the show isn't afraid to engage in adventure from time to time, and does it surprisingly well.  Hasbro owns the rights to D&D, so they've got pretty free reign on the monsters that appear in the show.  Hell, they own Wizards of the Coast I think.  That also means they own Magic:  The Gathering.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 01:10:32 pm by B-Man »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #346 on: February 06, 2012, 01:12:45 pm »
Why do I like the show?  Well, there's quite a combination of factors.

The girls each have distinct and unique personalities.
  • Each personality plays off of another, and the show derives a decent portion of its humor from this
  • The personalities are diverse and realistic enough that you're very likely to associate with at least one of the ponies.
  • Even when you don't normally associate with a pony, the writers put the ponies in enough situations in which you're likely to associate with a character you otherwise normally wouldn't
  • The voice actors really help to bring the characters alive.
  • Although it's not canon, the fanfic writers will flesh out background ponies or ponies that get less screentime
The show isn't afraid to be cartoony/zany at times.
  • Many of the people working on this cartoon are used to working on cartoons without a girly stigma or history.
  • Slapstick knows no gender.

Meh, this list could be longer, and maybe I'll elaborate more later.  The point is that this cartoon isn't afraid to have fun.  Oh yeah, and the show isn't afraid to engage in adventure from time to time, and does it surprisingly well.  Hasbro owns the rights to D&D, so they've got pretty free reign on the monsters that appear in the show.  Hell, they own Wizards of the Coast I think.  That also means they own Magic:  The Gathering.

...Your fandom, and your avatar... I approve. :D

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #347 on: February 06, 2012, 01:14:32 pm »
The personalities are diverse and realistic enough that you're very likely to associate with at least one of the ponies.
Why do you think I’m a Fluttershy-guy? I just wish I had the Stare.
-A Pen Name

Offline e13

• The Beast
« Reply #348 on: February 06, 2012, 01:19:24 pm »
The personalities are diverse and realistic enough that you're very likely to associate with at least one of the ponies.
Why do you think I’m a Fluttershy-guy? I just wish I had the Stare.
It's funny, I associate with Twilight and AJ most often, but Rarity is best pony.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #349 on: February 06, 2012, 04:21:37 pm »
I'm personally drawn to the show because, frankly, it doesn't treat their viewers like idiots.  That's enough for me.

Also, pony pic:  http://cuppae.deviantart.com/#/d4jbh69

I'm the unicorn in the scarf.  The older Earth Pony is the legendary Inky Quill (nee Twilight Snarkle) of Ponychan, who's sorta adopted me :3
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #350 on: February 06, 2012, 04:44:11 pm »
I just recently gotten into the show and I have found it to be funny. It's a lot like the Powerpuff Girls in which I was a fan of when it was around and knowing that MLP was created by that very same person that did PG makes this an awesome show.

I also like this show because it's not syrupy, saccharine, and all "let's hold hands and sing about rainbows." There is an amount of snarkiness and cynicism in the show that balances the sweetness of the show. It's kinda like a good raspberry vinaigrette desert. Also, I am not one for musicals, especially Disneyesque types but the musical numbers on this show are bearable and some are actually catchy as well as humorous and ties in to the theme of the show.

As for avatars and signatures, I'm keeping my sig as I have worked hard on it and I will probably change my avatar to my ponysona. 
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #351 on: February 06, 2012, 06:56:46 pm »
Twilight Sparkle is best snarker. ;)
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #352 on: February 06, 2012, 10:35:52 pm »
Also, since pony avatars and posting pony in other boards is likely to cause trouble: if you have OC ponies, why not post a (reasonably-sized) image in this thread somewhere? :3  That way we can show off our horrifying abominations without annoying the non-bronies.

I'm willing to do what I've had to do in every fucking forum I go to - not participate in spreading my fandom like EVERYONE ELSE - but change our avatars? Seriously? Our fucking avatars? That's self-censoring I will not abide by. This is the fucking FUNDIES forum, and I will not be pushed around on it because some people don't like a kid's show. They have a right to ask I not put pony-related material in other threads, but they have no right whatsoever to regulate my avatar because it makes  them "uncomfortable".

Even something awful, which has banned ALL pony discussion, even their own threads, allows pony-related avatars. Just saying.

The thing is that I'm laying low for while with the avatar, because in my opinion, it seems some obnoxious bronies on here decided that they were going push buttons, and I still have a feeling there's a few on here who really hate all bronies on the actions of a few, go look at the F & B thread, I mean mentioning MLP as every other thing you hate in a post gives off that vibe, just sayin'. And as I mention in another post in this thread, I don't want to be hated.  This is a quirk that I have, I hate having people be upset at me, especially for dumbass shit that I have no control over.
BTW: Here's my pony that I created

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #353 on: February 06, 2012, 10:56:31 pm »
Here's the pony I made to basically represent myself:

And here's another I made for a character in a MLP-based D&D game I'm a part of:

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #354 on: February 06, 2012, 11:23:19 pm »
Wait, is there a site where we can just make ponies for the lulz?
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #355 on: February 06, 2012, 11:25:48 pm »
Wait, is there a site where we can just make ponies for the lulz?

Random pony generator on DA.  Use it as a cover image for a fic and submit to EqD with it though, and we'll fire you AND your fic to the moon.  With extra gunpowder.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
« Reply #356 on: February 07, 2012, 12:00:02 am »
Specifically, follow this link.
A limerick:

There once was a unicorn who would shove
His rainbows around like a dove
"Always I'll be with you
And then make-believe with you
Harmony, Harmony, oh love"

Offline e13

• The Beast
« Reply #357 on: February 07, 2012, 12:30:11 am »
Also, since pony avatars and posting pony in other boards is likely to cause trouble: if you have OC ponies, why not post a (reasonably-sized) image in this thread somewhere? :3  That way we can show off our horrifying abominations without annoying the non-bronies.

I'm willing to do what I've had to do in every fucking forum I go to - not participate in spreading my fandom like EVERYONE ELSE - but change our avatars? Seriously? Our fucking avatars? That's self-censoring I will not abide by. This is the fucking FUNDIES forum, and I will not be pushed around on it because some people don't like a kid's show. They have a right to ask I not put pony-related material in other threads, but they have no right whatsoever to regulate my avatar because it makes  them "uncomfortable".

Even something awful, which has banned ALL pony discussion, even their own threads, allows pony-related avatars. Just saying.

The thing is that I'm laying low for while with the avatar, because in my opinion, it seems some obnoxious bronies on here decided that they were going push buttons, and I still have a feeling there's a few on here who really hate all bronies on the actions of a few, go look at the F & B thread, I mean mentioning MLP as every other thing you hate in a post gives off that vibe, just sayin'. And as I mention in another post in this thread, I don't want to be hated.  This is a quirk that I have, I hate having people be upset at me, especially for dumbass shit that I have no control over.
BTW: Here's my pony that I created

You do what you want. I'm gonna keep my av. Simple, really. :)

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #358 on: February 07, 2012, 04:20:42 am »
Something Positive, being Something Positive, parodies the shit out of FiM.
http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp02072012.shtml
(Also hilarious: this comic from 2008: http://somethingpositive.net/sp05282008.shtml)
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #359 on: February 07, 2012, 09:51:53 am »
…I still have a feeling there's a few on here who really hate all bronies on the actions of a few…
And they should know better than that.
-A Pen Name