Author Topic: Study about the link between Racism and Gun Ownership  (Read 10094 times)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Re: Study about the link between Racism and Gun Ownership
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2013, 12:08:46 am »
welll its more of the minimal standards of making sure crazy people don't get guns are not followed in red states (I don't have the stat on me but blue states are 90% of submitted checks)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2013, 12:53:04 am »
I'm not sure how having the ammo stored in a different safe would help things much. Obtaining ammo is easier than obtaining guns, wether legally (having someone else buy it for you for example) or even from illegally.

And despite being "pro-gun" by Finnish standards I'm way too pro-regulation by the US standards. Though I'm more into regulating the gun licenses than the types of guns.

And I'm going to say it again, the second amendment of USA is utterly outdated and insane. There should be tests to make sure who can own a gun and selling guns should definitely be regulated and SEVERELY observed to make sure there isn't any fishy business. (That some states have laws PREVENTING the regulation of gun sales is just crazy.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2013, 01:20:08 pm »
So what the study is suggesting is not that most gun owners are racist but rather racists are more likely than the average person to own guns?

It kinda enforces what I believe, that gun ownership isn't the problem, but gun fetishism is symptomatic of a problem particular of white male entitlement issues.

I think you may be onto something here.
I am reminded how after the Washington Naval yard shooting took place none of the normal NSA talking points cropped up. Not to mention how at the same time the news jumped on the race angle of the story despite the incident being the best example of how flawed the normal NSA gun control taking points are.

However is the gun fetishism really a white entitlement issue? I think you are onto something, but I think the issue is more complex. Just like how racists are more likely to buy a gun and vote for concealed carry laws, staunch anti government people do the same. I think there is this fetishistic belief that owning a gun will allow someone to overcome something they don't like. It feeds this delusion that they can be hero's, keeping the evil communist government at bay, or protecting their things from the evil black criminals.

I wonder if it is the no consequence fantasy of the modern action movie, or the general gun consumerism culture of America that has bred this kind of thinking.

Personally, I don't think gun fetishism is solely a white entitlement issue or solely male entitlement issue, but on a national scales it is symptomatic of white male entitlement. A lot of gun nut rhetoric revolves around protecting "our community" from "those people" from the inner city, even though gun violence happen in their community too. Likewise, the Teabaggers brannishing their guns to protect us from a dirty foreign liberal plays into it. It's all about making sure these particular set of white men are heard and bowed down too even at the cost of other people's live.

Of course, gun fetishism is also symptomatic of problems with men of color too. Like you say, the issue is far more complex.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)