Author Topic: Canadians will say Goodbye to Pennies  (Read 9744 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Canadians will say Goodbye to Pennies
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2012, 02:52:47 am »
Also they could've gotten a tip from China: their 5 fen (.0066 USD) coin is made out of aluminum, and the weirdest coin I've ever seen.

That sounds like an extremely malleable coin O_o
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2012, 03:00:52 am »
Insanity Wolf has an idea to help the Canadians

Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2012, 04:56:27 am »
Also they could've gotten a tip from China: their 5 fen (.0066 USD) coin is made out of aluminum, and the weirdest coin I've ever seen.

Aluminum is actually a fairly sturdy metal. There's a reason they make aircraft and naval vessels out of it. Most people are only really exposed to aluminum (knowingly) in the form of foil or soda cans, which are incredibly thin.

If you've ever been to an arcade that uses tokens instead of official currency, the tokens were likely made of aluminum. Those things are hard to damage.

Offline Patches

• Bishop
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2012, 09:07:39 am »
I almost misread the title as 'Canadians will say Goodbye to Penises'...thought for a second that Santorum was trying to meddle in Canadians' sex lives too. ::)

Scrolled through the thread to see if anyone else had read it that way, too.  Now I don't feel quite so Freudian.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2012, 09:17:49 am »
I almost misread the title as 'Canadians will say Goodbye to Penises'...thought for a second that Santorum was trying to meddle in Canadians' sex lives too. ::)

I did read it as that, and needless to say I had quite a few questions before reading the OP.

Offline Sandafluffoid

• Bishop
  • Defective Detective
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2012, 10:11:42 am »

I can't say for the 5 分 coins since I've only ever seen the 1 or 2 versions, but they're not malleable, just very thin and ugly. That said they are worthless even in China, the only time I ever get them is due to a bizarre system for paying my rent that means I get 2 fen change every month. In day to day transactions you never use them, all prices are rounded to the nearest mao (10 fen).
Oh look it's me.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2012, 12:33:05 pm »
Finland doesn't make 1 and 2 cent coins. Shops will accept them (since other EU countries use them) but won't give them in change. No one really sees this as a problem since 1cent is a) really not that much so rounding up/down doesn't bother people. b) those coins are also physically quite small so they are annoying to handle. c) if you really are bothered about paying 1cent too much for a product you can pay with a card and pay the excact sum.

And now that I've made a reasonably on topic comment I would like to add that I originally read the title as: Canadians will say Goodbye to Penis...

-tirsk-
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2012, 07:38:05 pm »

You're not the only one.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2012, 08:01:44 pm »
Just go digital like Sweden wants to.

I could see that being an issue for the very poor, unless the government provided a free debit card and bank account for everyone.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2012, 08:24:09 pm »

I could see that being an issue for the very poor, unless the government provided a free debit card and bank account for everyone.

We couldn't do that here in the US. They'd just say it proves Obama's the anti-christ, because credit cards are the mark of the beast. I have to wonder if Sweden has to deal with Rapture fundies throwing a shit fit over it.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2012, 11:40:12 pm »

Aluminum is actually a fairly sturdy metal. There's a reason they make aircraft and naval vessels out of it. Most people are only really exposed to aluminum (knowingly) in the form of foil or soda cans, which are incredibly thin.

If you've ever been to an arcade that uses tokens instead of official currency, the tokens were likely made of aluminum. Those things are hard to damage.

I suppose it would depend on what grade of aluminum was used. I say this because I've seen exhaust gaskets made of aluminum because it was maliable enough to conform to both block and manifold to seal the gaps
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2012, 12:01:32 am »

We couldn't do that here in the US. They'd just say it proves Obama's the anti-christ, because credit cards are the mark of the beast. I have to wonder if Sweden has to deal with Rapture fundies throwing a shit fit over it.

Also, not everyone likes to use debit/credit cards when they shop. I use cash when I go out shopping, it's not that I don't have a bank account, I do, heck I even have direct deposit. I just prefer to use cash rather than a card. I only use a card when I buy stuff online and even with that I have a limit. Call me old-fashion if you will...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 12:03:03 am by nickiknack »

QueenofHearts

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2012, 12:04:15 am »

Also, not everyone likes to use debit/credit cards when they shop. I use cash when I go out shopping, it's not that I don't have a bank account, I do, heck I even have direct deposit. I just prefer to use cash rather than a card. I only use a card when I buy stuff online and even withthat I have a limit. Call me old-fashion if you will...

I'm the same, but that's because early on when I had a debit card, I put $600 in the bank and somehow the card read "insufficient funds" when I tried to use it. This was only made more embarrassing by the number of friends I was hanging with when this happened.

Ever since that day, cash all the way. ;D ;D

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2012, 12:22:36 am »
The reason I use cash is because it's habit that I got from my mom. She's always used cash, except for major purchases.

Offline Servo

• Bishop
  • Wait... what?
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2012, 08:51:43 am »
We got rid of our 1cent (and 2cent) coins 20 years ago...

Some even want to get rid of our 5cent coins as well, as it (sometimes) costs more to make them, it even went as high as 6.5cents to make one.