Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 426000 times)

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #1245 on: June 10, 2017, 07:31:30 pm »
Yeah, it could work but it still is a hindrance to a candidate. It's when people try to twist the lack of experience in politics into a positive aspect of a candidate for a high office when I get annoyed.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1246 on: June 10, 2017, 07:33:10 pm »
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2017/roll299.xml

This past week, the House of Representatives passed the Financial CHOICE Act to repeal much of Dodd-Frank.

No Democrats voted for the bill. One Republican voted against, Rep. Jones (NC 3rd). Eleven Representatives did not vote: Aguilar (D-CA 31st), Clyburn (D-SC 6th), Costa (D-CA 16th), Cummings (D-MD 7th), DeFazio (D-OR 4th), Engel (D-NY 16th), Johnson (R-TX 3rd), Maloney (D-NY 12th), Marino (R-PA 10th), Napolitano (D-CA 32nd), and Reichert (R-WA 8th).

Among other things, the act would effectively gut the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau--something its progenitor, Elizabeth Warren, likes to say has given Republicans eleven billion reasons and counting to hate her.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1247 on: June 12, 2017, 03:44:18 pm »
"Trump has never had any business or personal dealings with the Russian mafia, with some exceptions​..."

https://np.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/6grvkp/my_lawyers_got_trump_to_admit_30_lies_under_oath/disodvu/?context=3

Semion Mogilevich. He is considered a strategic threat to national security. He traffics in weapons of mass destruction, nuclear materials, drugs, prostitutes, precious gems, and stolen art.

Vyacheslav “Yaponchik” Ivankov. He was Mogilevich’s lieutenant and resident of Trump Tower and Trump Taj Mahal. The FBI called him the "most dangerous Mobster in America" during a May 15, 1996 congressional hearing. He was gunned down by a sniper on a Moscow street after publicly discussing Mogilevich’s close ties to Putin.

David Bogatin and Michael Markowitz. Identified by U.S. officials as a member of the Semion Mogilevich organized crime family in the 1990s. They owned five condos in Trump Tower.

Dmitry Rybolovlev. He bought Donald Trump’s house for $100 million in 2008. Frequently flew halfway around the world to meet up with Trump in various cities during or after the election.

Felix Komarov. Owned condo in Trump Plaza. Laundered money through a Rolls-Royce dealership with Mr. Ivankov.

Boris Berezovsky. "Godfather of the Kremlin" owned a Trump condo from 2001 - 2008.

Felix Sater. Russian Mobster turned FBI informant who's title is 'Senior advisor to Donald Trump.' He ran Bayrock Group, LLC with Donald Trump and Tevfik Arif.

Tevfik Arif. A Kazakhstan-born former Soviet official. He was charged in 2010 by Turkey for the crime of smuggling underage girls into the country for prostitution purposes. He was also Trump's business partner.

Alimzhan Tokhtakhounov Russian Mobster boss who had been a fugitive after James Comey indicted him for fixing figure skating at the 2002 Winter Olympics. He was eventually found running a global gambling ring one floor below Trump's penthouse apartment. He escaped a second time only to be turn up 3 months later in Moscow as a VIP attendee for Donald Trump's Miss Universe 2013. Guess who was the federal prosecutor who busted up the global gambling ring? Preet Bharara

Helly Nahmad. bought all the units on the 51st floor for more than $18.4 million. He went to prison for about five months in 2014 for leading a high-stakes gambling network.

Vadim Trincher. Ran a connected ring for Russian oligarchs and high stakes gambling network. He “laundered approximately $100 million in proceeds from their gambling operation in Russia and Ukraine through shell companies and bank accounts in Cyprus.”

Alexsander Ivanovich Lebed. National security advisor for Boris Yeltsin who visited met with Trump in 1997 to discuss development projects in Moscow.

Viktor Vekselberg. Former KGB and oligarch who was the second largest shareholder in the Bank of Cyprus. Current Commerce Secretary, Wilbur Ross, was Vice President of Bank of Cyprus.

Oleg Deripaska. His ties go beyond the $10 million dollars he paid Paul Manafort​. He's been trying to form connections with powerful Republicans for many years Between 2003-2005, Deripaska paid $560,000 to Bob Dole's lobbying firm for assistance in obtaining a US Visa. During the 2008 Presidential Election, Paul Manafort and Rick Davis (Trump's foreign policy advisor) introduced Oleg to John McCain with hopes of forming a strong relationship.

Rinat Akhmetov. Richest person in Ukraine who is suspected leader of Ukraine Mafia. Personally hired and paid Paul Manafort in 2005 to be advisor for Viktor Yanukovych election campaign.

Dmytro Firtash. Pro-Russian Ukrainian billionaire who is one of Paul Manafort’s biggest clients. By his own admission, he maintains strong ties with a recurring figure on this scene, the reputed Ukrainian/Russian mob boss Semion Mogilevich.

Roy Cohn. He was Trump's long time lawyer, friend, and go-to lawyer for the mob. Some of his clients included the Genovese Family, Gambino Family, and the Red Mafiya. Sometime in the 1980's Roy Cohn introduced Paul Manafort and Roger Stone to Donald Trump.

Michael Cohen. He has been working for The Trump Organization since 2007 and is a member of the Trump World Tower Condominium Board and the Trump Park Avenue Condominium Board. He also has been a confidant of the Russian organized criminality since at least 1999 and has been laundering money for Russian citizens having connections with the Russian mafia.

Ivana Trump. Ivana Trump went into business with two known Russian mobsters, Boris and Michael Vax.

Sources can be found from the link.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1248 on: June 12, 2017, 08:31:52 pm »
Since I don't want to get bogged down in the morass that is Trump's Twitter account (or even the official POTUS one), has there been any acknowledgement from the administration that today's the 50th anniversary of Loving v. Virginia?

EDIT:

Meanwhile, guess who Joe Biden thinks should run for Senate if Orrin Hatch declines to run again in 2018?

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/337226-biden-encourages-romney-to-launch-senate-bid-report

Mitt Romney.

"It's a big club, and you ain't in it." -- George Carlin
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 10:28:07 pm by dpareja »
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #1249 on: June 13, 2017, 02:14:58 pm »
Meanwhile, guess who Joe Biden thinks should run for Senate if Orrin Hatch declines to run again in 2018?

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/337226-biden-encourages-romney-to-launch-senate-bid-report

Mitt Romney.

Utah. Don't care.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1250 on: June 13, 2017, 02:21:38 pm »

Mitt Romney.

Utah. Don't care.

But why is Joe Biden encouraging Mitt Romney to run? I could see Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio pushing Romney to run, but Biden? Biden, you would think, should want Romney as far from any position of influence as he could get him; instead, he wants the guy in the US freakin' Senate!

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #1251 on: June 13, 2017, 02:37:15 pm »

Mitt Romney.

Utah. Don't care.

But why is Joe Biden encouraging Mitt Romney to run? I could see Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio pushing Romney to run, but Biden? Biden, you would think, should want Romney as far from any position of influence as he could get him; instead, he wants the guy in the US freakin' Senate!

UTAH! Mother fucking Utah! Did I mention UTAH? The most Mormon and Conservative state in the country. Even in a political climate like this, where there is a 15% swing to the left as per FiveThirtyEight, would still leave the leave a typical democrat losing to a standard Republican by almost 25%. Second, unlike Orrin Hatch, Romney is slightly more moderate and has a more extensive track-record of compromising across party lines. Third, Biden is saying it more as a statement about Romney as a person than Romney as a politician. Seriously, you've been on this "let's nit-pick everything about the democrats" for almost a year now and it is getting old.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #1252 on: June 13, 2017, 02:38:21 pm »
Yeah, Queen, it seems for Dpareja that purity is starting to take a paramount importance in terms of nitpicking.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #1253 on: June 13, 2017, 03:23:04 pm »
I think it's pretty obvious that if Biden is endorsing Romney, it's because Romney is a far more honorable and less horrible person than Hatch. I don't necessarily believe it, but we can't really go DOWN from where we are with him.
Who needs a signature?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #1254 on: June 13, 2017, 03:33:20 pm »
That's the type of reaching across the aisle I wanna see.

Ironbite-though Biden should've endorsed Hatch as the GOP voters will then run screaming from their tainted candidate.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1255 on: June 13, 2017, 03:45:31 pm »
It's like... You have gangrene in your foot and someone says that you should amputate it to save your life. But you complain that you want the foot healed and functional, not amputated and the gangrene keeps spreading further and further and soon you are going to have to lose the leg or die.

This is not the perfect metaphor for politics but my point is that you sometimes need to make tactical decisions and vote for someone with a chance of passing even if they are only slightly better than the other alternatives.

Doesn't do much good to say "I did not vote because Hillary wasn't any better than Trump" now does it? Similarly if Romney is at least better than the other guy vote for him rather than wasting your vote in the gerrymandered areas.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1256 on: June 13, 2017, 04:19:14 pm »
It's like... You have gangrene in your foot and someone says that you should amputate it to save your life. But you complain that you want the foot healed and functional, not amputated and the gangrene keeps spreading further and further and soon you are going to have to lose the leg or die.

This is not the perfect metaphor for politics but my point is that you sometimes need to make tactical decisions and vote for someone with a chance of passing even if they are only slightly better than the other alternatives.

Doesn't do much good to say "I did not vote because Hillary wasn't any better than Trump" now does it? Similarly if Romney is at least better than the other guy vote for him rather than wasting your vote in the gerrymandered areas.

Romney would only be better than the other guy in the Republican primary.

As for why I rag on the Dems so much, it's because they've been offering the same sort of milquetoast, corporatist, neo-liberal centre-right candidates for decades now, and especially over the last eight years, it's cost them literally over a thousand seats--look at how many state houses and Governorships the Republicans now control, not to mention the Presidency, the House of Representatives, the Senate, the Supreme Court, and let's not forget all those vacancies on the lower federal courts.

They have not, of late, tried running populist left candidates en masse, even though populist left policies almost universally have well over 50% support and the most popular politician in the country is a populist left one (by US standards, anyway; most anywhere else he'd be a centrist or centre-right). So why, when your strategy has so clearly failed, would you keep doing that and not try the one thing neither party has tried on a large scale, when you know that the most prominent figure who espouses precisely that is incredibly popular--who can get roomfuls of rural Trump voters in supposedly solidly-Republican states to cheer his agenda?

From a Narcotics Anonymous text in 1981: "Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results." (Earliest known occurrence)

The Republicans keep doing it with trickle-down economics. The Democrats keep doing it with corporatist centre-right candidates.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 04:21:36 pm by dpareja »

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #1257 on: June 13, 2017, 04:56:48 pm »

Mitt Romney.

Utah. Don't care.

UTAH! Mother fucking Utah! Did I mention UTAH? The most Mormon and Conservative state in the country. Even in a political climate like this, where there is a 15% swing to the left as per FiveThirtyEight, would still leave the leave a typical democrat losing to a standard Republican by almost 25%. Second, unlike Orrin Hatch, Romney is slightly more moderate and has a more extensive track-record of compromising across party lines. Third, Biden is saying it more as a statement about Romney as a person than Romney as a politician. Seriously, you've been on this "let's nit-pick everything about the democrats" for almost a year now and it is getting old.

I visited Utah recently. I was surprised by how nice a place it was, and particularly how good their local beer was when I thought they were basically dry.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #1258 on: June 14, 2017, 01:28:54 am »
I visited Utah recently. I was surprised by how nice a place it was, and particularly how good their local beer was when I thought they were basically dry.

Yeah as far as Mormon's go I have more respect for them then I do for southern baptists because they seem more likely to be Huckabee brand conservatives then Cruz brand conservatives who dominate the SBs and other white evangelical prodestants.

What I mean by that I'm talking about this chart from Vox based on polling supports of different 2016 presidential candidates on their moral priorities.

Huckabee type conservatives/fundies I can respect at least sometimes as well meaning but misguided.  They have overly strict rules, but they still have a decent level of empathy and seem to apply the rules to themselves (hence their low liberty score).  Cruz fundies meanwhile only want punish people for being different but don't care about following their rules, that's for the rest of us.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 01:30:51 am by Skybison »

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #1259 on: June 14, 2017, 01:37:15 am »
I've often wondered why anyone would support Ted Cruz. He seems to be the worst of everything and completely lacking in charisma as a finishing touch.