Author Topic: Episcopal Church to ordain transgender people  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Episcopal Church to ordain transgender people
« on: July 09, 2012, 11:29:25 pm »
Or, specifically, to prevent churches from banning transgendered people from becoming priests.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/09/episcopal-church-transgender-ordination_n_1660465.html?utm_hp_ref=religion

The Episcopal Church on Monday overwhelmingly voted to allow the ordination of transgender people.

At its triennial General Convention in Indianapolis, the church House of Deputies approved a change to the "nondiscrimination canons" to include "gender identity and expression." The move makes it illegal to bar from the priesthood people who were born into one gender and live as another or who do not identify themselves as male or female.

The church, which has 1.9 million members in the U.S., currently has rules against discrimination based on race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, disability and age for Episcopalians who want to become priests.

"We are filled with joy for this clear affirmation that the Episcopal Church welcomes and values the ministerial gifts of transgender people, lay and ordained. We are also delighted by the strong support and broad understanding of trans issues shown by deputies representing a wide range of regions and generations in this church. As the church steps boldly into new frontiers in various facets of its light, we are proud to be part of this spirit-filled movement," members of TransEpiscopal, a organization of transgender Episcopalians, said in a statement.

The church on Monday also voted to make it illegal to discriminate against transgender people in non-clergy positions in the church.

EXCELLENT news.  The Episcopal church is clearly a shining example of what the Anglican communion SHOULD be.

I am looking at you, Archbishop of Canterbury.

Also in further good news:

The House of Bishops on Monday also approved a provisional standard liturgy for priests to use in the blessing of same-sex relationships. Bishops approved the liturgy 111 to 41 with three abstentions. The House of Deputies is expected to vote on the matter before the church's meeting ends on Thursday.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Episcopal Church to ordain transgender people
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 11:45:33 pm »
The Vatican could learn a thing or two from these dirty heathens.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 12:05:23 am »
This... has perked up my night, yes it has.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 02:37:39 am »
A church that actually follows what Jesus was preaching about non discrimination. That's novel.
Good on them for doing this.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 11:51:54 pm »
More power to them.  Hopefully some others will see this is a good example.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 12:06:44 am »

You're kidding, right?  Protestants and Catholics alike will use this as proof of how apostate the Episcopal Church is, and the Anglican church might send them a stern letter telling them to stop, which the Episcopal church will respond with a smile and a "No."

Episcopal church, while technically being a part of the Anglican church, has been showing signs that it's superior to its root church.  Probably because the Anglican church isn't even the real root church - "Episcopal" has Scottish heritage, not British.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 12:09:28 am »

You're kidding, right?  Protestants and Catholics alike will use this as proof of how apostate the Episcopal Church is, and the Anglican church might send them a stern letter telling them to stop, which the Episcopal church will respond with a smile and a "No."

Episcopal church, while technically being a part of the Anglican church, has been showing signs that it's superior to its root church.  Probably because the Anglican church isn't even the real root church - "Episcopal" has Scottish heritage, not British.

That's why I said HOPEFULLY.

I know, unfortunately, that most Christians will just point yell "heretics!" at the top of their lungs.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 03:51:14 am »
meanwhile, everyone else that's sane will be embracing them, saying thank you, and generally telling them they're awesome.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 07:08:53 am »
If I was still Christian, I'd probably attend either an Episcopal or Quaker church.  I don't think I could go back to the Catholic church, no matter how much I believed again.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 05:05:36 pm »
Fuck yeah, Episcopalians!! :D
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!