Author Topic: The Trial of George Zimmerman  (Read 66057 times)

Offline Itachirumon

• The Buzzing Digital Uke
  • Pope
  • The Highly-Caffinated Borderline Insane Uke
Re: The Trial of George Zimmerman
« Reply #255 on: July 14, 2013, 06:19:22 am »
I got through about 30 comments before I was overwhelmed by the urge to murder this "close relative" through the computer screen, along with all the people there. I don't want to hear this shithead gloat, or any of the right-wingers who are going to be so very thrilled that he got away with it.
"Sleep is for the weak
Caffeine is my sacrament
Are those spiders real?"

I do NOT have a dubious relationship to sleep. We had a perfectly ambicable seperation

Ask me about the knife in your back!

When I die, they should process my blood into an energy drink - it'll be called Vampiric, and one dose will cause diabetes... Also, you might see noises.

"No.. can't eat... I'm fucking my catboy"

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #256 on: July 14, 2013, 07:44:06 am »
Well.... fuck. Just, fuck. Here's hoping he and Casey Anthony get a head on collision, killing each other.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #257 on: July 14, 2013, 07:59:13 am »
One of Zimmerman's relatives has posted an IAmA thread on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1i9k6e/iama_close_relative_of_george_zimmerman_i_was/

"Edit: God damn it guys, stop pming and asking about whether George would rather get into a fight with 100 duck sized horses or a horse sized duck. I do not fucking know. Let's keep this about Rampart."

Yeah, as much as I think this random relative is a douche bag, I couldn't help but laugh at that.

The "I put on my grand wizard hat and robes." comment went a bit too far, though.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #258 on: July 14, 2013, 08:49:55 am »
I really hope the jurors remain anonymous, because they were in a lose/lose situation here. As much as I don't like the verdict, I don't think the prosecution was able to prove the case beyond reasonable doubt, so the jurors did the right thing.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #259 on: July 14, 2013, 09:05:37 am »
I must have done a good job in picking blogs to follow, 'cause I've only been seeing disgust with the verdict on my dash.
Me too, even though most of the stuff is fandom shit so...I'm trying my best to keep quiet about on tumblr and Facebook(I had a few relatives actually defending Zimmerman) because I don't want to deal with the shit.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #260 on: July 14, 2013, 09:38:03 am »
I really hope the jurors remain anonymous, because they were in a lose/lose situation here. As much as I don't like the verdict, I don't think the prosecution was able to prove the case beyond reasonable doubt, so the jurors did the right thing.
On one hand, one part of me agrees. On the other hand, the vengeful dick part of me disagrees. I've been in vengeful dick mode for hours, though, so I mainly agree due to being rather low on anger.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #261 on: July 14, 2013, 09:40:15 am »

The prosecution definitely didn't have enough evidence to warrant a guilty verdict on the murder charge, but a manslaughter conviction would have been completely justified.

That being said, I'm not familiar enough with Florida law regarding manslaughter to determine whether or not such a conviction would have been legal.

Edit: Under Florida law, would proving that Zimmerman acted recklessly suffice for a manslaughter charge? Or would proving that he wasn't acting in self-defence still be an issue?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 09:47:58 am by Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #262 on: July 14, 2013, 09:50:24 am »
I think manslaughter would certainly be justified, but I'm not sure of every argument the prosecution made and whether they presented enough evidence and explanations for the jury to reach a guilty verdict there. I know at one point, the jury asked lawyers for clarification on the definition of manslaughter, which shows there was some debate over that charge. But I'm not familiar with that law.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #263 on: July 14, 2013, 11:08:18 am »
When the state special prosecutor's office filed for second degree murder, it was a politically motivated, public opinion assuaging move. It quelled a huge out cry in Sanford and across the state. With only Zimmerman as a full witness, and little physical evidence, second degree would have only been met if people on the jury had actually kept in mind all of Zimmerman's odd actions, and self-contradictory statements in his incident interviews by the detectives. Zimmerman even had Trayvon saying crap about as believable as lines from a 1960's Dick Tracy comic book.

Second degree under FL law is very strenuous and frankly reads as just a hair's breadth below first degree, premeditated murder. I actually suspect the decision to pursue second degree was a ploy to help assure Zimmerman was acquitted, in that, the jury is more likely to also dismiss the manslaughter option after failing to agree on all the stringent points of second degree.

Mark O'Mara is on my all-time Biggest Dickweeds list for his post trial spews about what if Zimmerman was black, and Trayvon died-kids-die-of-cancer-too. I will fucking slap his dentures* out of his face and crush them under foot if I ever meet him in person.

*I know the signs; got a full set myself.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #264 on: July 14, 2013, 11:14:22 am »
Funny.

This has taught me that expecting the worst can still leave you disappointed when it actually happens.

There is no preparing for this kinda shit it seems.

Well, nice to know that when a black woman fires a gun into the air to scare someone, it earns her 20 years in prison, but outright killing a black teenager armed with skittles and a can of iced tea doesn't just let you go scot free, but you get hailed as a hero by a whole bunch of sheeple.

Of course, the prosecution might've actually had a case if the police had actually done their job and investigated the crime scene instead of drug testing Trayvon, patching Zimmerman's wounds, and sending him home.

Also, why the fuck didn't the defense have to prove it was self defense?  Almost every other state I know of requires you to prove it's self defense, but in this case it was somehow assumed.  That's stupid.

That's Florida.  The state has a very low bar for self defense claims.  Also I believe Martin was tested for drugs as part of the autopsy, which is probably pretty standard.

I doubt the police doing anything different would have given then any evidence to disprove Zimmerman's story beyond a doubt.  Hence is the nature of the laws.  The women who got 20 years had a different set of circumstances including witnesses to testify against her. 
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #265 on: July 14, 2013, 11:43:53 am »
One of Zimmerman's lawyers compared Martin's death with "kids who die of cancer all the time."  Because, you know, kids who die of cancer die from completely preventable deaths perpetrated by fellow human beings oh wait.

AHH!! THE STUPID!!

That's such a typical fundie argument. 

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #266 on: July 14, 2013, 03:47:50 pm »
When the state special prosecutor's office filed for second degree murder, it was a politically motivated, public opinion assuaging move.

Actually, knowing the prosecutor, I think it was as much motivated by zeal and a pretty solid history of murder convictions.

The special prosecutor is the State Attorney where I went to law school. (She still tries DP cases.) The Assistant State Attorney who gave the opening and was involved in the trial is an Adjunct Professor at my law school, and is a member of the homicide team in the local State Attorney's Office. Duval County has a lot of homicides, so the team gets a lot of practice. Put all of that together and I think they honestly believed they had a good chance of winning.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #267 on: July 14, 2013, 03:55:14 pm »
A manslaughter conviction would have been much easier. Zimmerman pretty obviously acted recklessly: he aggressively followed a teenager who was alone at night without identifying himself. While Martin was pretty dumb to confront and punch him over that, he was very justifiably intimidated by Zimmerman. While Martin stated the actual fight, Zimmerman was the one whose own stupid intimidation and ignoring of the police got him in trouble in the first place.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #268 on: July 14, 2013, 03:59:20 pm »
A manslaughter conviction would have been much easier. Zimmerman pretty obviously acted recklessly: he aggressively followed a teenager who was alone at night without identifying himself. While Martin was pretty dumb to confront and punch him over that, he was very justifiably intimidated by Zimmerman. While Martin stated the actual fight, Zimmerman was the one whose own stupid intimidation and ignoring of the police got him in trouble in the first place.

Thing is the defense did a good job of raising doubt that Zimmerman followed Martin.  Remember Zimmerman said he was looking for a street sign.  With that in doubt so to was the manslaughter conviction.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #269 on: July 14, 2013, 04:02:40 pm »
I must have done a good job in picking blogs to follow, 'cause I've only been seeing disgust with the verdict on my dash.
Me too, even though most of the stuff is fandom shit so...I'm trying my best to keep quiet about on tumblr and Facebook(I had a few relatives actually defending Zimmerman) because I don't want to deal with the shit.

I had a couple people go 'this was never about race'. But they are usually quiet anyways unless something controversial pops up in the first place so I ignored it.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!