Author Topic: The Trial of George Zimmerman  (Read 66125 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: The Trial of George Zimmerman
« Reply #390 on: July 20, 2013, 03:34:59 pm »
Except he wouldn't have been in that situation if he hadn't chased Martin down. And if I understand it right, Martin had no obligation to retreat and was perfectly within his rights to defend himself. Regardless of who threw the first punch, if it was Martin, I still think Zimmerman should have been held responsible for putting Martin in a position where he thought he had to attack Zimmerman to protect himself. I doubt Martin went out that night looking for a fight, unlike Zimmerman.

It is a doubled edged sword.  Martin did have the right to stand his ground, but it is reasonable to think a person who feared for their live would go to safety if he had a chance.  This was brought up in the case of the women who got 20 years for firing at her husband.  The prosecution brought up the fact that she passed multiply ways to escape while on her way to get her gun.

The problem is that by its very nature, Stand Your Ground says that you do NOT have a duty to retreat before fighting back. As long as Martin could have reasonably feared for his life, he didn't have to run at all. Suggesting that he may have been in legitimate fear of his life from the guy following him in a truck when he was alone at night (who then got out of his truck to try and continue following him) means that Stand Your Ground would have applied if they bothered to use it in Martin's case. Which they didn't.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #391 on: July 20, 2013, 04:07:55 pm »
The problem is that by its very nature, Stand Your Ground says that you do NOT have a duty to retreat before fighting back. As long as Martin could have reasonably feared for his life, he didn't have to run at all. Suggesting that he may have been in legitimate fear of his life from the guy following him in a truck when he was alone at night (who then got out of his truck to try and continue following him) means that Stand Your Ground would have applied if they bothered to use it in Martin's case. Which they didn't.

I understand what the laws says, but you can still argue that a person who truly feared for their life would try and get to a safe place as fast as possible.  The state did argue that Martin was the person in fear for his life, but there was no evidence to prove that.  Since it was Zimmerman on trial it is he who get the benefit of doubt.

The state simply had no evidence to support a self defense claim for Martin, that is why it did not apply.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #392 on: July 20, 2013, 04:44:03 pm »
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/07/20/new-accusations-against-zimmerman-jurors-as-sheriffs-office-admits-it-allowed-unsupervised-access/

Jurors watched television and movies, exercised at the hotel fitness center, and spent weekends being visited by family and friends.

Wait... WHAT!??!?! How the FUCK, Florida?

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #393 on: July 20, 2013, 06:36:03 pm »
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/07/20/new-accusations-against-zimmerman-jurors-as-sheriffs-office-admits-it-allowed-unsupervised-access/

Jurors watched television and movies, exercised at the hotel fitness center, and spent weekends being visited by family and friends.

Wait... WHAT!??!?! How the FUCK, Florida?

There's been an awful lot of shady stuff with this case. And whatever happened to that witness who appeared in court before he actually testified? I thought that was illegal, but I haven't heard about any consequences. Forgive me if that was posted a few pages back, it's hard to read every post in this thread.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #394 on: July 20, 2013, 06:38:39 pm »
There has been. And I didn't hear about the witness.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #395 on: July 20, 2013, 06:42:21 pm »
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #396 on: July 20, 2013, 06:46:50 pm »
.....oh no.  Can you say mistrial?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #397 on: July 20, 2013, 06:49:21 pm »
Someone probably could, but the question is would it have any effect?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #398 on: July 20, 2013, 06:57:09 pm »
Here's the article on it. Haven't heard any updates.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/09/19382248-prosecution-zimmerman-witness-may-have-shown-up-too-early?lite

"Editor's note: George Zimmerman has sued NBC Universal for defamation. The company strongly denies the allegation." My favorite lines in that whole article, tbh. Thanks, NBC, you made me smirk.

And thanks, Sleepy, for the link. Much appreciated.

As for a mistrial, I sincerely hope they move for one.

&

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #399 on: July 20, 2013, 07:01:54 pm »
How does that work, though? If a mistrial is declared after he was acquitted, does the verdict get thrown out, or is he protected under double jeopardy?

Offline Clochette

• Bishop
  • spin spin sugar
« Reply #400 on: July 20, 2013, 07:02:53 pm »
Someone probably could, but the question is would it have any effect?

Zimmerman can't be tried again, right? That would be double jeopardy.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
« Reply #401 on: July 20, 2013, 07:16:00 pm »
Since it is the states screw up I don't think Zimmerman can get retried.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #402 on: July 20, 2013, 08:02:20 pm »
Obama's speech was awesome.

The right wing reaction is harsh but unsurprising.

Anyways, I had a thought. Assuming Trayvon actually attacked Zimmerman, could Stand Your Ground apply for his case?
Legally, yes, because he thought his life was threatened. In reality? No. He's black.

Legally, no.  If assuming Martin attacked Zimmerman, Martin would not have been covered as he would have been in the process of committing a felony.  That is unless you could show that Zimmerman threatened Martin to the point Martin feared for his life.
No, unless you could show that Martin felt his life was threatened, whether that threat was real or not.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
« Reply #403 on: July 20, 2013, 10:34:17 pm »
Obama's speech was awesome.

The right wing reaction is harsh but unsurprising.

Anyways, I had a thought. Assuming Trayvon actually attacked Zimmerman, could Stand Your Ground apply for his case?
Legally, yes, because he thought his life was threatened. In reality? No. He's black.

Legally, no.  If assuming Martin attacked Zimmerman, Martin would not have been covered as he would have been in the process of committing a felony.  That is unless you could show that Zimmerman threatened Martin to the point Martin feared for his life.
No, unless you could show that Martin felt his life was threatened, whether that threat was real or not.

Yes, you are correct.  Zimmerman would have have had to actually threatened Martin.  There was just no way for the state to show Martin feared for his life. 

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #404 on: July 21, 2013, 12:18:28 am »
They pulled it out of their ass for Zimmerman, and he was the one who had the fucking gun.

The court could've reasonably proven Martin's innocence... assuming they didn't crucify him for being a black kid.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet