Author Topic: Oh no, people are FORCED to play a black character in a game...  (Read 5710 times)

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Re: Oh no, people are FORCED to play a black character in a game...
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 12:09:08 pm »
I gotta ask. What the hell is going on in the gaming subset of society? Seems like every month the gamer community had their collective panties in a bunch over something. Is gaming supposed to be a sort of utopia of humanity? Because honestly, the act of sitting down for that long and playing computer games looks to me to be just as escapist as my little green feel good herbs. I'm not a gamer (obviously) so that is a serious question/statement/reaction.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Iczerfour

• Spawn of Pinkamena and Flutterbat
  • Pope
  • Now won't you stop moving, interrupting's not nice
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 12:16:21 pm »
huh?  they are upset?  wow how pathetic..

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 12:22:26 pm »
I gotta ask. What the hell is going on in the gaming subset of society? Seems like every month the gamer community had their collective panties in a bunch over something. Is gaming supposed to be a sort of utopia of humanity? Because honestly, the act of sitting down for that long and playing computer games looks to me to be just as escapist as my little green feel good herbs. I'm not a gamer (obviously) so that is a serious question/statement/reaction.

We're having a subset of men, cause it's always men, who are just coming into consumer power who have had all their wants and needs given to them by the industry.  To see that industry slowly realizing that they can make more money by going after a subset of consumers who they haven't before, namely women.  And that infuriates these guys because now they can't look to video games as a reason why they can't get laid.  Because if its not their hobbies that are turning women off, then it must be them and that realization just infuriates them.

Ironbite-well that and women having their own sexual agency.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 08:10:12 am »
It basically comes down to dudebros and tumblrinas having a pissing match.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2015, 08:41:03 am »
It basically comes down to dudebros and tumblrinas having a pissing match.

Oh, it's nowhere near that simple.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2015, 09:13:34 am »
We also have things like this: http://mythcreants.com/blog/five-destructive-myths-perpetuated-by-roleplaying-games/ suddenly about roleplaying games. The thing is that I don't mind if Grognard and his buddies want to play "Rape-barbarians of Murderland the RPG" in their homes, it is only an issue if they have invited a player who doesn't want to play that kind of game and try to force it on them. Likewise I don't mind if some other group plays "TUMBLR equality land with puppies and rainbows the RPG."

I think my issue is that when I hear complaints like these there are claims that even villains should not do things that are "triggering" or have any discrimination in the setting which in my mind is awfully restricting. Besides, dystopia is more fun to explore than utopia. Particularly since the characters can attack the problems in the dystopia and fight the system while in an utopia either there would be no badguys or those would be extremely rare at least. (though a detective story in a "perfect" utopia is often exciting.)

But that is slightly off topic. What is more relevant is that this isn't just "dudebros vs sjws" we also have others who simply hate all "politics and agendas" being "forced" to them in media and other people who may not be part of any movement who simply complain about others liking things that they don't like.

And the thing about "pushing agendas" is really annoying since to those people having a single gay person in a media means "forcing the gay agenda" and the same goes for other minorities and issues as well.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2015, 12:11:04 pm »
Me, I dislike tokenism.  If you want to make a gay character, fine, but make sure they're a gay character rather than a gay character.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2015, 12:17:37 pm »
Ok. I think I get it. Gamer culture is still pretty foreign to me.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.