Author Topic: Rationality and Religion: Debating Anti-Theists  (Read 38264 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Rationality and Religion: Debating Anti-Theists
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2015, 07:44:49 pm »
It's funny that you are using the God Gene as an argument for God but ignoring the hypothesis behind it which is:

" The major arguments of the hypothesis are: (1) spirituality can be quantified by psychometric measurements; (2) the underlying tendency to spirituality is partially heritable; (3) part of this heritability can be attributed to the gene VMAT2;[1] (4) this gene acts by altering monoamine levels; and (5) spiritual individuals are favored by natural selection because they are provided with an innate sense of optimism, the latter producing positive effects at either a physical or psychological level. (Stolen from Wikipedia)"

You seem to have ignored the 5th part of the hypothesis. In particular you must have overlooked it when you said " I can't think of anything else which would account for the hardwiring other than the existence of a higher power" - Because the 5th part of the hypothesis explains it without reference to a higher power.

It's entirely possible for a theory to be right in principle, but wrong in the particulars.  Just look at Lamarck.  Where I'm skeptical of the hypothesis is the fifth point.  We know that religion makes modern humans more optimistic, but who's to say the same was true of Cro-Magnons?  Like I said earlier, they had bigger brains, so I don't think we should assume faith had the same effects on them as it does on us. 

I'm sorry I wasn't clear earlier, Dave.  What I meant was "I can't think of anything else that doesn't rely on assumptions."

Now, I'm completely willing to entertain the possibility that I'm wrong.  Maybe the optimism part is actually right.  Or maybe the whole theory is bunk.  I can acknowledge that either one is a distinct possibility.

Also, my God isn't the same as the unmoved mover.  There are a number of key differences.  I was merely using the term I thought fit best for the abstract concept of God.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2015, 07:55:48 pm »
So, wait, you're arguing for the existence of a completely different (concept of) god in order to support your own position that believing in your capital-G God is the most logical position because something something Cro-Magnons?

Do you hear yourself sometimes? Like, when you speak?
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2015, 08:06:08 pm »
It's funny that you are using the God Gene as an argument for God but ignoring the hypothesis behind it which is:

" The major arguments of the hypothesis are: (1) spirituality can be quantified by psychometric measurements; (2) the underlying tendency to spirituality is partially heritable; (3) part of this heritability can be attributed to the gene VMAT2;[1] (4) this gene acts by altering monoamine levels; and (5) spiritual individuals are favored by natural selection because they are provided with an innate sense of optimism, the latter producing positive effects at either a physical or psychological level. (Stolen from Wikipedia)"

You seem to have ignored the 5th part of the hypothesis. In particular you must have overlooked it when you said " I can't think of anything else which would account for the hardwiring other than the existence of a higher power" - Because the 5th part of the hypothesis explains it without reference to a higher power.

It's entirely possible for a theory to be right in principle, but wrong in the particulars.  Just look at Lamarck.  Where I'm skeptical of the hypothesis is the fifth point.  We know that religion makes modern humans more optimistic, but who's to say the same was true of Cro-Magnons?  Like I said earlier, they had bigger brains, so I don't think we should assume faith had the same effects on them as it does on us. 

I'm sorry I wasn't clear earlier, Dave.  What I meant was "I can't think of anything else that doesn't rely on assumptions."

Now, I'm completely willing to entertain the possibility that I'm wrong.  Maybe the optimism part is actually right.  Or maybe the whole theory is bunk.  I can acknowledge that either one is a distinct possibility.

Also, my God isn't the same as the unmoved mover.  There are a number of key differences.  I was merely using the term I thought fit best for the abstract concept of God.

So what are the difference between your conception and the 'unmoved mover' - I listed 8 or so variables which could be used to flesh it out.

As for whether you can't think of anything else that doesn't rely on assumptions. Isn't it a (pretty large - of well fucking huge) assumption to make that it is because of God. You also haven't addressed why that's unlikely for the reasons that Sigma stated.

One of the difficulties in discussing theology is if you fail to clearly mark out your views before commencing the discussion.

Why not start with the characteristics of your concept of god (your modified unmoved mover)?

Then list what you consider to be evidence of the existence of that unmoved mover?

Now if you don't have any rational evidence how can you assert that you can use rationality to argue about the existence of your concept of god?

If your god is ineffable, how can you say anything about it at all?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2015, 08:08:49 pm »
So, wait, you're arguing for the existence of a completely different (concept of) god in order to support your own position that believing in your capital-G God is the most logical position because something something Cro-Magnons?

That's what happens when you try to debate several people at once.  Your thoughts sometimes come out disjointed.

pyro

« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2015, 09:01:02 pm »
We know that religion makes modern humans more optimistic, but who's to say the same was true of Cro-Magnons?  Like I said earlier, they had bigger brains, so I don't think we should assume faith had the same effects on them as it does on us. 

We suspect that VMAT2 contributes to religiosity in modern humans, but who's to say the same was true of Cro-Magnons?  Like you said earlier, they had bigger brains, so I don't think we should assume that protein had the same effects on them as it does on us. 

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2015, 09:35:39 pm »

Color me surprised.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2015, 11:49:46 am »
There are scientific arguments for God's existence.

UP, a scientific argument has to be falsifiable. It has to lay out a series of specific, testable predictions which, if any one of them is contradicted by observation or experimental evidence, renders the whole argument false. Your apologetics are nothing of the sort.

Science doesn't rely on this much misdirection and special pleading to explain its body of knowledge. You're desperately trying to co-opt science's prestige for your theology without understanding why it has that prestige.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2015, 12:36:47 pm »
There are scientific arguments for God's existence.

UP, a scientific argument has to be falsifiable. It has to lay out a series of specific, testable predictions which, if any one of them is contradicted by observation or experimental evidence, renders the whole argument false. Your apologetics are nothing of the sort.

Science doesn't rely on this much misdirection and special pleading to explain its body of knowledge. You're desperately trying to co-opt science's prestige for your theology without understanding why it has that prestige.

Are you sure?  Because there are some scientific arguments that don't meet those criteria.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2015, 02:12:18 pm »
Well, gee, then what are they, UP? And please don't reiterate your previous posts unless you have found some very significant data to back them up.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #114 on: October 10, 2015, 03:05:53 pm »
Well, gee, then what are they, UP? And please don't reiterate your previous posts unless you have found some very significant data to back them up.

The multiverse hypothesis, for example.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2015, 03:23:04 pm »

Something which, as far as I have seen in the literature, hasn't risen beyond speculation.

My favorite example of falsifiability is the Phlogiston theory. It made testable predictions and scientists in the eighteenth century found evidence that contradicted the fundamentals of the theory, so it had to be discarded. Is it false and obsolete in our present knowledge? Sure, but it was scientific.

Your apologetics cannot be tested. They aren't even wrong.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #116 on: October 10, 2015, 03:25:02 pm »
M Dimensional Theory in physics. Okayyy... Yet another example of citing the relative incomprehensibility to untrained people of aspects of working theories as = Hey-It's-a-Me! God! Sorry, nope, we've covered this ground early in thread. It's fun to imagine the (remote) possibility that god is there somewhere betwixt and between the fibers of reality, but that does not qualify as an argument for it, logically or scientifically.

('Chew just ninja-ed me, basically, but yeah.)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 12:51:25 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #117 on: October 10, 2015, 06:27:06 pm »
Forget what I said about moving goalposts.  UP is kicking at a different goalpost in a different stadium, in a different world every time.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #118 on: October 10, 2015, 07:59:35 pm »

You mean the same multiverse theory used to justify Bioshock Infinite and twelve year olds who are (on all levels except physical) anime characters?
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #119 on: October 11, 2015, 01:01:38 am »

First of all, hypothesis. Second of all, which version? Third of all, who is actually using it as a serious argument?
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".