Author Topic: Minister Räsänen sticks her foot into her mouth  (Read 5244 times)

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
Re: Minister Räsänen sticks her foot into her mouth
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 12:40:27 pm »
Wouldn't that also mean that the fundies and homophobes won't be splitting their votes as much then?
Well... fuck.

Well then, here's hoping that even unified into a single party, Finland's fundies aren't numerous enough to form a government.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 12:41:01 pm »
I have come to the conclusion that the Finnish Minister of interior, Päivi Räsänen from the Christian Democrats party has done more damage to our Lutheran church than any atheist awareness campaign. Every time she opens her mouth there is a huge spike in people leaving the church.

(Some atheists set up a website where you can resign from church easily. So rather than getting the paperwork and filing it just give them your name [Or someone else's name if you are an asshole] and they do all the paperwork for you. They also show stats of how many people are leaving the church.)
Wait, you mean that any Finn is automatically a member and has to specifically opt out should they want no part of it? I have to say, that's a tad fucked.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 01:10:11 pm »
If you can opt out, how does the church still have any tax paying members?
Because many Finnish people are christians and therefore want to be a member of the church. Even if it costs money.

Fuck that, I ain't gonna pay to be part of their fucking club.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 02:08:59 pm »
If you can opt out, how does the church still have any tax paying members?
Because many Finnish people are christians and therefore want to be a member of the church. Even if it costs money.

Fuck that, I ain't gonna pay to be part of their fucking club.

I don't think you have to since, if I recall correctly, you aren't Finnish :P

Still it sounds terrible, being auto-taxed until you opt out.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline maanantai

• Likes to Move It Move It
  • Apprentice
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 03:11:46 pm »
I have come to the conclusion that the Finnish Minister of interior, Päivi Räsänen from the Christian Democrats party has done more damage to our Lutheran church than any atheist awareness campaign. Every time she opens her mouth there is a huge spike in people leaving the church.

(Some atheists set up a website where you can resign from church easily. So rather than getting the paperwork and filing it just give them your name [Or someone else's name if you are an asshole] and they do all the paperwork for you. They also show stats of how many people are leaving the church.)
Wait, you mean that any Finn is automatically a member and has to specifically opt out should they want no part of it? I have to say, that's a tad fucked.

Any Finn whose parents are members of the state church. Or just the other parent and they decide that the kid also joins (at the ripe age of few months). So yeah, the membership is kind of automatic. And even among those who don't believe it's just habit to be member for Really Good Reasons ( ::) ) such as ability to get wed at church, cheaper funerals and of course you have to name that baby of yours too and some people don't know in real life even this day that even though the kids name is usually told to relatives at the babtism that it really isn't name giving event.  ::) ::)