Community > Religion and Philosophy

A Million Pound Atheist "Temple"

(1/10) > >>

armandtanzarian:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jan/26/alain-de-botton-temple-atheism

Here's an idea. To combat what Alain de Botton calls Richard Dawkins' "destructive" form of atheism, he plans to build a temple, as a testament to... what exactly?

--- Quote ---The philosopher and writer Alain de Botton is proposing to build a 46-metre (151ft) tower to celebrate a "new atheism" as an antidote to what he describes as Professor Richard Dawkins's "aggressive" and "destructive" approach to non-belief.

Rather than attack religion, De Botton said he wants to borrow the idea of awe-inspiring buildings that give people a better sense of perspective on life.

"Normally a temple is to Jesus, Mary or Buddha, but you can build a temple to anything that's positive and good," he said. "That could mean a temple to love, friendship, calm or perspective. Because of Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens atheism has become known as a destructive force. But there are lots of people who don't believe but aren't aggressive towards religions."
--- End quote ---

I serious doubt that aping the tactics of the other side is a good way to promote atheism. If any, building a visible, hard-to-miss structure probably reinforces the idea about some religious people that atheism is simply another religion based on science. And also, how is Dawkins' style of atheism any more destructive or confrontational than this sort of grandiose gesture?

QueenofHearts:
No, No, NO!!! The intelligent sea otters say the Allied Atheist Allegiance is correct and will smash your skulls like a clam on their tummy if you disagree.

Captain Jack Harkness:

--- Quote ---That could mean a temple to love, friendship, calm or perspective.
--- End quote ---

Am I the only one who thought "pony temple" when I read this?

rosenewock21:

--- Quote from: B-Man on January 28, 2012, 12:58:20 pm ---
--- Quote ---That could mean a temple to love, friendship, calm or perspective.
--- End quote ---

Am I the only one who thought "pony temple" when I read this?

--- End quote ---

I wasn't thinking it before but I am now.

Edit for grammar.

JohnE:
Silly me, I thought one of the common criticisms of religion was that it spends so much money on big fancy churches, money that could be used to actually improve people's lives.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version