Author Topic: The Sword Thread  (Read 12628 times)

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
Re: The Sword Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 07:06:04 pm »

Cool. I can only handle shorter swords. S'why I went after the gladius and the celtic shortsword.

May l suggest to you an Arab sword? Lightweight, fairly short, decently thin, and a curved blade for quicker easier draw.

Do you have any specific one in mind? I thought they had multiple different kinds. And if you can point me to a good site I'll look into it. :)

Alternatively, get a rondel dagger, nice length to it, used extensively by archers and crossbowmen during the 14th and 15th centuries.  Dagger work was done a lot because a lot of the common soldiers carried them (swords could be too expensive and tend to get in the way if you're fighting in a tight knit formation) and it became an art form in itself using one, there were techniques for taking down guys in full harness (head-to-toe plate armour) with them.

The sword Scotty used is a Glasgow Pattern Claymore, although it's misidentified as a Claymore, a Claymore is two-handed.  However, the sword itself is the one used by the British army for Officers and NCO's in Scottish regiments.  The makers of the best ones are Armour Class, I'm afraid.
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 10:38:03 pm »

Do you have any specific one in mind? I thought they had multiple different kinds. And if you can point me to a good site I'll look into it. :)

Yeah, sorry about that. I was on my phone last night. Anyhoo, the sword I was thinking of is called a saif. If you're familiar with a scimiatr, picture that without the weighted tip. As far as a good site, I'll leave that to John.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 11:29:19 pm »
The sword Scotty used is a Glasgow Pattern Claymore, although it's misidentified as a Claymore, a Claymore is two-handed.  However, the sword itself is the one used by the British army for Officers and NCO's in Scottish regiments.  The makers of the best ones are Armour Class, I'm afraid.
Historically speaking, it's the basket hilts that are more correctly called claymores. The two-handers weren't called that until later, and by that time they were no longer in use. The basket hilts were called claymores by their contemporaries and the people who actually used them.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 11:51:47 pm »
Oohh I want a Rondel dagger. And a Katzbalger (I love the hilts.)

In fact I'd like to buy some steel sword so that I could try steel weapons fighting in SCA. I am already fighting with rattan weapons in SCA, and don't get me wrong I love it, but there is just something about using an actual metal sword in simulated combat that is so cool.

Well, if I get that job I've been interviewed about...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 11:47:09 am »

Cool. I can only handle shorter swords. S'why I went after the gladius and the celtic shortsword.

May l suggest to you an Arab sword? Lightweight, fairly short, decently thin, and a curved blade for quicker easier draw.

Alternatively, get a rondel dagger, nice length to it, used extensively by archers and crossbowmen during the 14th and 15th centuries.  Dagger work was done a lot because a lot of the common soldiers carried them (swords could be too expensive and tend to get in the way if you're fighting in a tight knit formation) and it became an art form in itself using one, there were techniques for taking down guys in full harness (head-to-toe plate armour) with them.

I'm not sure I'll be getting anymore daggers or knives for a while. I have like 10 now. What do you mean about Armour Class?

Yeah, sorry about that. I was on my phone last night. Anyhoo, the sword I was thinking of is called a saif. If you're familiar with a scimiatr, picture that without the weighted tip. As far as a good site, I'll leave that to John.

Ah, interesting. I'll look into it thanks.

Oohh I want a Rondel dagger. And a Katzbalger (I love the hilts.)

In fact I'd like to buy some steel sword so that I could try steel weapons fighting in SCA. I am already fighting with rattan weapons in SCA, and don't get me wrong I love it, but there is just something about using an actual metal sword in simulated combat that is so cool.

Well, if I get that job I've been interviewed about...

So you want combat ready, then. Kult of Athena is really good about pointing out which sword is which, if you're interested.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 01:01:23 pm »
Finding a combat ready sword is not the issue. I just don't have the money.

I've already been to two interviews and next week I'll find out if I've been invited to a third and final one. If I pass that one I'd at least have a job and then could start putting some money into my hobbies again. At the moment though I've got other more important issues.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Scotsgit

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 01:19:19 pm »

http://www.armourclass.co.uk/data/pages/DarkAge_Main.htm

Offline Scotsgit

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2013, 01:22:03 pm »
Historically speaking, it's the basket hilts that are more correctly called claymores. The two-handers weren't called that until later, and by that time they were no longer in use. The basket hilts were called claymores by their contemporaries and the people who actually used them.

Can I ask what your source is?  Always interested to read more.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2013, 06:21:12 pm »

My main source is Spada (or maybe it was in Spada II) an anthology of peer reviewed articles on historical swordsmanship. The article concerned the historical use of the terms "claymore," and "broadsword." Both were originally used to refer to basket kilted swords, claymore for Scottish ones, and broadsword more generally.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 02:29:14 pm »
Since I can't afford a battle ready sword yet I decided to get one of these first:

Cold steel, training sword.

Yeah, it's not steel, but it I will need a practise sword anyway and it's not that expensive. I did consider a wooden waster as well, but these are more durable and the price difference isn't that big. Besides, a friend of mine is a blacksmith and he started his own company and a couple of us can get the swords (and other equipment) through him.

In fact, my next purchase will be to have him make me a coat-of-plates.

Offline Scotsgit

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2013, 02:40:17 pm »

My main source is Spada (or maybe it was in Spada II) an anthology of peer reviewed articles on historical swordsmanship. The article concerned the historical use of the terms "claymore," and "broadsword." Both were originally used to refer to basket kilted swords, claymore for Scottish ones, and broadsword more generally.

Interesting, who wrote it?

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2013, 06:14:50 pm »

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2013, 10:24:12 pm »
Have I got a video for you guys.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXbLyVpWsVM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXbLyVpWsVM</a>

It's about how the Viking Ulfberht was made and what put it above all of it's European contemporaries.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2013, 10:36:15 pm »
Weapons that made Britain: The Sword (part 1)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEMwcSGauY8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEMwcSGauY8</a>

Offline Scotsgit

• The Beast
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2013, 01:05:56 am »