Author Topic: Michele Bachmann Claims Kinsey Report Is "A Myth"  (Read 3940 times)

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Michele Bachmann Claims Kinsey Report Is "A Myth"
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 03:18:06 am »
*elects Shane president of the United States*

That's a terrible idea.

Not if you made The L Word the national TV show.  Better than American Idol.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Undecided

• The boring one.
  • Bishop
  • Amateur Obfuscator
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 05:29:45 am »
In a sense, the Kinsey Reports are a myth: the "10 percent" number is passed on from person to person mostly without anybody reading the actual papers or thinking critically. Subsequent US studies have mostly been in the three to ten percent range, and there is probably oversampling from urban populations. There isn't really any rhetorical reason to stick to 10%: even the most conservative estimates put the US LGBT population in the >10^7 range, and (more importantly) the Kinsey Reports are vulnerable to criticism in a way that subsequent studies are not.

I doubt that Michelle Bachmann has any interest in such nuance. Still, an unthinking political adversary is no excuse for sloppily repeating archaic exploratory results when far more rigorous and relevant studies are available.
You mad, you lose.

People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant.
Helen Keller
Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.
Voltaire

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 05:59:15 am »
*elects Shane president of the United States*

That's a terrible idea.

Not if you made The L Word the national TV show.  Better than American Idol.

lol but still other than that. Terrible idea.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 09:38:56 am »
You know, I think the thread title is misleading.  She's not saying the study is a myth.  Rather, she's asserting that the claims the study makes - at least about gay people - are what are false.  She could possibly be right, but not for the reasons she thinks.

The studies I found about a year ago put the number between 4-8% of men and 4-14% of women are either homosexual or bisexual. Not quite the 10% claimed by the Kinsey Report, but not an insignificant number of people.

Even if the numbers were wrong, what would that prove?  How would that change anything about gay people?  They'd still be gay, and they'd still be humans.

Yup.

Also, I'd like to point out that the numbers being wrong would not necessarily mean an overestimation, either.  The numbers could be an underestimation.

They are probably an overestimation, especially if you are only looking at the number of homosexuals (and excluding bisexuals). But the rest of your point still stands.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 05:14:06 pm »
A lot of homophobes like to say that the Kinsey Report is a myth, or that Kinsey was bisexual atheist pedophile libertine. Coming out of Bachmann's mouth, this doesn't surprise me.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 07:50:58 pm »
The thing that bothers me is, even if only about 1% of the US population were gay...that's still over 3 million people.  There are more gay people* in the United States than there are in the average large city.  What excuse could we possibly have for treating millions of people as sub-humans?

What's that?  Your religion's special book tells you to?  FOADIAF.

* I'm not even counting bisexual, transgender, or intersex people in this number.  Just the purely homosexual cisfolk.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!