Author Topic: Sandman may not be on for a bit.  (Read 49018 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Re: Sandman may not be on for a bit.
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 01:53:19 am »
Hang tough, Sandman! You can do it! We're all pulling for you!

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2012, 02:27:18 am »
That we are, man.  That we are.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2012, 04:31:32 am »
My grandpa and a friend of mine have gone through chemo. (My grandpa was actually setting off Geiger counters for a few days because he didn't wash the radioactive iodine out of his system enough.) It's very rough and certainly isn't any fun, but the best option is to hang in there. We all believe in you, and are sending our positive thoughts/prayers/laser beams in your general direction.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 09:36:51 am »
I'm back home from the first round. My students brought me a big stack of books and my wife bought me almost every cheesy sci-fi movie Target had in stock, so I should at least not be too bored. I will try to log on and chat when I feel up to it with my laptop, but I'm not sure when that will be or how often. I feel like a soft-boiled egg covered in chili sauce and chutney that's been left in the sun far too long.

(He is insisting that I add that he is not typing this; his wife is.)
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2012, 03:36:59 pm »
Hi Mrs. Sandman! :-) We're all pullin' for the Sandman clan!

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2012, 04:37:12 pm »
Aw, shit, I'm sniffling. Shit.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2012, 09:21:15 pm »
My thoughts are with you, Sandman. And with your wife.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2012, 09:24:35 pm »
*makes a note to have an extra beer in gratitude for Mrs. Sandman*
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2012, 10:21:05 pm »
Apologies for the necro.

I have discussed this in PMs with several regulars, and I thought I would just let everyone else who cares know as well. I'm trying not to be morbid, but there is a chance of a sudden disappearance.

I am going through repeating rounds of chemo. I will not bore you with the details, but things are not going as well as hoped. I am very weak and pretty much constantly ill now. (Which is not surprising, considering that chemo is essentially pumping yourself full of poison and hoping to God that it kills the cancer before it kills you. I am constantly reminded of the last scene from the film version of "Fight Club" when Ed Norton "kills" Brad Pitt by blowing out half his own face.) While I can still read and type well enough, it exhausts me to do so, and I have to go so slow that I become easily frustrated.

I could go into details, but I just don't have the mental fortitude right now. I will give you the nutshell. It seems I may be pulling a Dr. Wilson. If things go very well with the chemo and radiation, I may see 2015. If they don't? If things go badly? Last Christmas may have actually been the last one for old sandman.

I am putting things in order. My ducks are all in a row. After all, this wasn't exactly a surprise to me. Mrs. Sandman is holding up well. She always was the strong one. I have had many visits from former students and I have no regrets. I tried to live life as best I could, and I think I came as close as could be expected. I'm sure the Almighty will cut me some slack on the details.

I will remain as active as I can on the boards, and I hope I will be around for a few years more. If I'm not, know that it has been interesting.
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2012, 10:45:53 pm »
Well, in the event that things go the way you seem to be expecting, it has been an honor to know you, even if that only extended to an online forum. Your comments and insights have always been thought provoking and much appreciated, and it will be a sad day when we are no longer able to read them.

This may be a bit premature and awkward, but atheism doesn't exactly lend itself to the traditional beliefs about the afterlife. With any luck, this message will be several years premature, and the world will not soon be lessened by the loss of your wisdom.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Saturn500

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2012, 11:07:02 pm »
...Well, that's kind of a downer.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2012, 02:01:14 am »
I hope to say more when I'm better able to formulate my thoughts into words, but for the time being, I want you to know that I've always had the utmost respect for you. Your level-headedness, eloquence (I've often found myself envious of your ability to express yourself so clearly), and overall balls-to-the-wall awesome personality come through in each of your posts. We're all blessed to have had the opportunity (and hopefully more than a few more years of opportunities) to know you.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2012, 05:46:38 am »

No... No. You can't! You just can't! You stay here. With us. On this earth.

:( *hugs tightly*

&

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2012, 06:08:45 am »
Well...

Part of me wants to say "Fuck the prognosis, fight it like a Scotsman!" but, you know your own body better than any of us.  I never really got to know you well around here, but from what I've read and seen I like you a lot.  You are a good representative of Christianity around here, and also a good representative of teaching.  If things go for the worse, I can be honored to have at least known you a little online.  You also would be with your pop again.  That'd be a good thing. 

Until then, if and when...

FIGHT IT LIKE A SCOTSMAN!

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2012, 06:30:35 am »
 :'( Sad news, but we're 100% behind you no matter what and no matter how long.