Author Topic: A pair of gay marriage stories  (Read 1053 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
A pair of gay marriage stories
« on: August 27, 2015, 02:32:07 pm »
So I'm pretty sure you guys haven't been following the struggle of Kim Davis and Casey Davis, no realation?  A pair of Kentucky County Clerks who refuse to give out any marriage licensees because they feel the SCOTUS decision legalizing gay marriage across the land is violating their religious beliefs.  Well today I came across two stories that really warm my heart.  One of course is about Kim Davis, a woman who's been sued by 4 couples, 2 gay 2 straight, into doing her job.  She lost one case and has appealed that decision.  Guess what happened there?

She lost the appeal

MOREHEAD, Ky. — A federal appeals court has upheld a ruling ordering a Kentucky county clerk to issue marriage licenses to gay couples.

Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis objects to same-sex marriage for religious reasons. She stopped issuing marriage licenses the day after the U.S. Supreme Court overturned state bans on same-sex marriage.

Two gay couples and two straight couples sued her. A U.S. district judge ordered Davis to issue the marriage licenses, but later delayed his order so that Davis could have time to appeal to the 6th circuit. Wednesday, the appeals court denied Davis’ request for a stay.

“It cannot be defensibly argued that the holder of the Rowan County Clerk’s office, apart from who personally occupies that office, may decline to act in conformity with the United States Constitution as interpreted by a dispositive holding of the United States Supreme Court,” judges Damon J. Keith, John M. Rogers and Bernice B. Donald wrote for the court. “There is thus little or no likelihood that the Clerk in her official capacity will prevail on appeal.”

April Miller and Karen Roberts were one of the gay couples who sued Davis. Miller read the ruling on her phone in the living room of the house they share down a country road on the outskirts of Morehead. Roberts, her partner for more than a decade, peered over her shoulder, smiling, humming, tears welling up under her glasses.

It gets better as apparently her lawyer, who represents the entire clerk's office, wants to appeal to SCOTUS apparently under the delusion that they'll rule against themselves.  All in all, this woman needs to go to jail for contempt until such time as she either resigns or someone else is elected into her place.

But let's go over to Casey County Kentucky, where Casey Davis, again no relation, is vowing to die for what he believes in.

A Kentucky county clerk who has been outspoken in his opposition to marriage equality now says he'll "die" fighting to keep same-sex couples from tying the knot.

Casey County Clerk Casey Davis has reportedly refused to issue marriage licenses to both heterosexual and same-sex couples in protest of the Supreme Court's June 26 ruling on marriage equality. In an Aug. 24 interview on West Virginia’s The Tom Roten Morning Show, Davis vowed to continue to defy the Supreme Court even if it costs him his life, Right Wing Watch reports.

"It’s a war on Christianity," he told Roten. “There is a travesty taking place with that Supreme Court ruling [that] was completely unconstitutional, completely unconstitutional."

"Our law says ‘one man and one woman,’ and that is what I held my hand up and took an oath to and that is what I expected," he continued. "If it takes my life, I will die ... because I believe I owe that to the people that fought so I can have the freedom that I have, I owe that to them today, and you do, we all do."

Apparently Mr. Davis doesn't understand that the law doesn't say "one man and one woman" anymore thanks to SCOTUS.  But I have to ask him this.

Ironbite-what funeral home am I sending flowers to?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: A pair of gay marriage stories
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 05:10:28 pm »
Hubris is sometimes defined as o’erweening pride; and pride, we know, goeth before a fall. The Judiciary is the “least dangerous” of the federal branches because it has “neither Force nor Will, but merely judgment; and must ultimately depend upon the aid of the executive arm” and the States, “even for the efficacy of its judgments.” With each decision of ours that takes from the People a question properly left to them—with each decision that is unabashedly based not on law, but on the “reasoned judgment” of a bare majority of this Court—we move one step closer to being reminded of our impotence.

The problem with Antonin Scalia is that he's typically got a valid point.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 10:50:05 pm »
I love it that those County Clerks are going down in flames! They should be fired!

I may not be crazy about most of the SCOTUS but thank Lady Liberty that they're sane and reasonable when it comes to LGBTA Rights.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 08:51:01 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsS0cvTxU-8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsS0cvTxU-8</a>