Author Topic: College student arrested for daring to buy expensive things while Black  (Read 3753 times)

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: College student arrested for daring to buy expensive things while Black
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 01:59:34 pm »
The fact that they considered it suspicious of him to have that much money may be profiling, it does seem like it but if they can prove that they are equally suspicious over any young person paying that much could be possible. (Though I doubt it.) The fact that they didn't bother to check the facts and relied on suspicion is just plain wrong and racist. They could have checked his ID, his criminal record, called his bank, anything. They just locked him up because they were so certain that their prejudices were right that they didn't even consider for a moment that the kid might be innocent.

And that certainly is proof of profiling and racism.

Except in the farking article, they DID mention that he produced his ID, his reciept and his bank card, and they summarily declared it to be fake/not valid information, and arrested him anyway.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 02:02:25 pm »
That is the dumbest thing since even if forged there would be no difference period

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2013, 04:03:59 am »
How is the belt worth $350? Is it fucking handmade with genuine sasquatch leather? Looking at the pictures, it's a nice belt, but it doesn't look $350 nice. And would it kill him to use the belt to, you know, hold up his pants? He dresses nice and all, but I've never liked the sagging pants look.

It's gotta be the time investment and a good deal of hand-crafting to qualify for $350...

Also it's NYC. Everything is overpriced. Everything.

Only if you don't know where to look. Food, for instance, is almost bafflingly cheap if you pick the right spots.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 04:14:44 am »
Is it me or is there an upswing of backwards-ness? You have this, you have the mess with Trayvon Martin, you have Steubenville & Maryville, you have MRAs, etc. Geeze, when I was growing up in the 80's, these types were usually at the fringes. I'm seeing stuff that belongs in a pre-Civil Rights/Women's Movement era! I hope it ends soon. Hopefully the Tealiban's days are numbered. This is nuts!

Offline Indikins

• Pope
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2013, 05:14:19 am »
Is it me or is there an upswing of backwards-ness? You have this, you have the mess with Trayvon Martin, you have Steubenville & Maryville, you have MRAs, etc. Geeze, when I was growing up in the 80's, these types were usually at the fringes. I'm seeing stuff that belongs in a pre-Civil Rights/Women's Movement era! I hope it ends soon. Hopefully the Tealiban's days are numbered. This is nuts!

I've definitely noticed that too, and I've seen it happening for years and years. I'd say it's the fact that conservatives are getting desperate and openly bigoted as the rest of society becomes more liberal and more left-leaning laws are passed, and that beliefs are polarising due to the global/national situation.
And the last feminist/civil rights movements and the sexual revolution are fairly far back in most peoples' memories.

Maybe it's hard for some to remember why we needed those revolutions when they don't see people being hanged from trees in the streets. Openly hanged, anyway.
I once had a nightmare about chickens pecking me to death on my driveway. I told my sister to save herself.

This is the #1 nightmare.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2013, 05:44:05 am »
It's either an upswing of stupidity, or people are just noticing it/making a big deal out of it more.

I remember Mom telling me that when girls got pregnant when she went to school, they would go to "live with an aunt" for awhile (about 9 months.......) give birth, give the kid up for adoption, and go back to school.  They just... wouldn't talk about it at all.

Same thing with kids getting kidnapped.  It happened with alarming frequency, but no one talked about it, because it was "disrespectful" or some other bullshit.  I got the impression that they were just trying to pretend that everything was hunky dory.

Nowadays, people talk about it.  It's getting in the news.  People are making big deals out of it for good or ill.  If anything, the fact that we are hearing about this more may not be a bad thing.  A bad thing would be if this stuff goes on all the time and never gets talked about.  A good thing is when it becomes controversy and people talk about it, because it means that our society, as a whole, is improving.

...What's not an improvement is that gossip and rumormongering are also more common and more damaging now, thanks to the power of the internet.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 07:41:26 am »
It's because we aren't just focused locally like we used to be. We are connected to the news globally thanks to the technology we have today.

Plus, once you have 'opened your eyes' it's hard to not see bad things everywhere.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 03:37:51 pm »
That much is also true.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet