Author Topic: Gamers throw shitfit re: transgender character in Baldur's Gate  (Read 35339 times)

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
Re: Gamers throw shitfit re: transgender character in Baldur's Gate
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2016, 04:55:32 am »
Huh. I guess that explains how I got her confessing in my forst playthrough with a male Revan all those years ago.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2016, 09:28:41 am »
Are you talking about Krem?  Because his reception was mostly positive according to BioWare.

Which only tells me that your ilk is only a vocal minority. A rather relieving fact, actually.

No, I'm referring to your ilk's response to it. They freaked the fuck out, your favorite "ethical journalist" wrote a "review" that I've pointed out to you at least twice and your ilk thought that "review" was absolutely hilarious. Yes, the response was mostly positive, as is the response to this expansion (about 2/3rd positive reviews on Steam, despite your ilk's best efforts), but there was still a vocal minority, and you know exactly who it was, that said exactly the same shit about Dragon Age: Inquisition that they're saying about Dragonspear.

It has been proven that the most vocal dissent towards Dragonspear is in response to the trans character. Are there plenty of people unhappy with it for other reasons? Sure, but they aren't the problem or the subject of discussion. The problem is that transphobic assholes are bitching and moaning about it, regardless of whether or not they actually play the game, and they are the loudest group responding to the expansion.

I pointed out Dragon Age: Inquisition so you would hopefully realize that this idiotic and hateful outrage is nothing out of the ordinary for your ilk. Now, in fairness, the backlash was more due to how the game's press was praising it for its progressive portrayal of LGBT folks, but the point stands.

And to act like a trans character is out of character for Bioware is hilarious. Bioware has included LGBT characters since at least Knights of the Old Republic, or did you forget that Juhani is bisexual?

"My ilk?" 

And do you have a citation for your claim of "proof?"  Because the front page Steam reviews complain about very serious technical issues:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/reviews/

As for why it has 2/3rds positive reviews on Steam?  Well, maybe it has something to do with this:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50341/negative-reviews-on-gog-and-steam

Hi everyone. I usually spend most of my time lurking here, but I'd like to ask a favour. It appears that having a transgendered cleric and a joke line by Minsc has greatly offended the sensibilities of some people. This has spurred these people into action, causing them to decide this is the worst game of all time and give it a zero review score on Steam, GoG and meta critic. Now, I'd like to ask for that favour. If you are playing the game and having a good time, please consider posting a positive review to balance out the loud minority which is currently painting a dark picture for new players.

Even Then

« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2016, 09:32:10 am »
The 2/3 was referring to Dragon Age: Inquisition, not Dragonspear (which you'd know if you had reading comprehension skills), and the dev comment's point is: "If you are playing the game and having a good time, please consider posting a positive review", which is radically different from "give us positive comments".

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2016, 09:38:14 am »
The 2/3 was referring to Dragon Age: Inquisition, not Dragonspear (which you'd know if you had reading comprehension skills), and the dev comment's point is: "If you are playing the game and having a good time, please consider posting a positive review", which is radically different from "give us positive comments".

How do you figure?

Yes, the response was mostly positive, as is the response to this expansion (about 2/3rd positive reviews on Steam, despite your ilk's best efforts),

Seems pretty clear to me.

And my point is that Beamdog is literally begging for positive reviews.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2016, 09:45:22 am »
Beamdog is asking for people who own the game and already have a positive opinion of it to please post a review. Because most people don't bother beyond a thumbs up click. And it would be nice for the other side to be heard. Also, a buggy release is common probs, not something to flip out over. There is however flipping out over the trans NPC, as evidenced in a large number of reviews.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2016, 09:45:56 am »
Beamdog is asking for people who own the game and already have a positive opinion of it to please post a review. Because most people don't bother beyond a thumbs up click. And it would be nice for the other side to be heard. Also, a buggy release is common probs, not something to flip out over. There is however flipping out over the trans NPC, as evidenced in a large number of reviews.

Care to check out my link to the Steam reviews page?

Even Then

« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2016, 09:48:52 am »
Huh, I misread.

You're still a fuckend, though.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2016, 09:52:24 am »
UP, I checked out the Steam reviews page for it yesterday, then I went to the Forum thread about it. I have a Steam account and buy games there frequently. My point stands.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2016, 10:11:06 am »
Are you talking about Krem?  Because his reception was mostly positive according to BioWare.

Which only tells me that your ilk is only a vocal minority. A rather relieving fact, actually.

No, I'm referring to your ilk's response to it. They freaked the fuck out, your favorite "ethical journalist" wrote a "review" that I've pointed out to you at least twice and your ilk thought that "review" was absolutely hilarious. Yes, the response was mostly positive, as is the response to this expansion (about 2/3rd positive reviews on Steam, despite your ilk's best efforts), but there was still a vocal minority, and you know exactly who it was, that said exactly the same shit about Dragon Age: Inquisition that they're saying about Dragonspear.

It has been proven that the most vocal dissent towards Dragonspear is in response to the trans character. Are there plenty of people unhappy with it for other reasons? Sure, but they aren't the problem or the subject of discussion. The problem is that transphobic assholes are bitching and moaning about it, regardless of whether or not they actually play the game, and they are the loudest group responding to the expansion.

I pointed out Dragon Age: Inquisition so you would hopefully realize that this idiotic and hateful outrage is nothing out of the ordinary for your ilk. Now, in fairness, the backlash was more due to how the game's press was praising it for its progressive portrayal of LGBT folks, but the point stands.

And to act like a trans character is out of character for Bioware is hilarious. Bioware has included LGBT characters since at least Knights of the Old Republic, or did you forget that Juhani is bisexual?

"My ilk?" 

And do you have a citation for your claim of "proof?"  Because the front page Steam reviews complain about very serious technical issues:

As for why it has 2/3rds positive reviews on Steam?  Well, maybe it has something to do with this:

Hi everyone. I usually spend most of my time lurking here, but I'd like to ask a favour. It appears that having a transgendered cleric and a joke line by Minsc has greatly offended the sensibilities of some people. This has spurred these people into action, causing them to decide this is the worst game of all time and give it a zero review score on Steam, GoG and meta critic. Now, I'd like to ask for that favour. If you are playing the game and having a good time, please consider posting a positive review to balance out the loud minority which is currently painting a dark picture for new players.

Read the bolded bit again, UP.

Oh. How awful. Do you even read what you post?
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2016, 10:13:27 am »
UP, I checked out the Steam reviews page for it yesterday, then I went to the Forum thread about it. I have a Steam account and buy games there frequently. My point stands.

Oh really?

(click to show/hide)

Seems to me like people are far more upset about the game being a broken, unplayable mess.

"My ilk?" 

Read the bolded bit again, UP.

Oh. How awful. Do you even read what you post?

Take a look at the Steam reviews to see why this is so disingenuous.  I've quoted some from the front page.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2016, 10:21:12 am »
So riddle me this:

if the issue is a glitchy, unplayable game with a whole host of issues to be legitimately upset about, why even mention the presence of this character (let alone make it the centerpiece of a bitchfest)? It's like complaining about a hangnail while you're on fire.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2016, 10:25:51 am »
So riddle me this:

if the issue is a glitchy, unplayable game with a whole host of issues to be legitimately upset about, why even mention the presence of this character (let alone make it the centerpiece of a bitchfest)? It's like complaining about a hangnail while you're on fire.

It's not "the centerpiece of a bitchfest."  That's just the factor Beamdog and their ilk are zeroing in on.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2016, 10:28:23 am »
UP, at first you claimed that there was no trans phobia in the reviews. Then you made up a number of minimum trans phobic comments that you would require to believe that trans phobia and general opposition to LGBT issues are the main reason against the protest. When examples were provided you claimed the reviews were cherry picked and went on to cherry pick your own reviews. From the start it has been said that Steam, being the only site where only game owners can review, has the least anti-LGBT reviews by virtue of the fact that most of the complainers are not owners and merely wish to wage their war on SJWs or spew their hatred against a fictional trans person by complaining about the game. NOW that you can no longer claim that:

-The game isn't mainly getting negative reviews due to the transperson NPC
-That the aforementioned reviews aren't coming from people who don't even own the game
-That the character isn't just a "tool of a political agenda"

You have been reduced to picking the one site with the fewest protestors and cherry picking people who complain about legitimate issues BUT THIS DOES NOT MAKE THE PROTESTORS DISAPPEAR! No one has claimed that ALL the negative reviews are written by anti-SJW-crusaders or whatever trolls live in the deepest darkest places of the web, just that many of the people who complain about the addon mainly seem to hate the existence of a fictional transperson in the game.

No one has to prove that every player likes the game or that all the complainers simply hate whatshername.

Stop for a moment and read your own posts. Can't you see how dishonest you have been during this debate?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2016, 10:38:44 am »
Wow, I just read a comment by paragon, and I think my IQ dropped. He really is silly
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Vinroke

• Apprentice
« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2016, 11:16:19 am »
I refuse to believe anyone capable of coherent communication is this stupid
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
Machina improba! Vel mihi ede potum vel mihi redde nummos meos!