Author Topic: Man accidentally sets off medical alert pendant, cops shoot him  (Read 29969 times)

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
Kenneth Chamberlain, Sr., a 68-year-old African-American Marine veteran, was fatally shot in November by White Plains, NY, police who responded to a false alarm from his medical alert pendant. The officers broke down Chamberlain’s door, tasered him, and then shot him dead. Audio of the entire incident was recorded by the medical alert device in Chamberlain’s apartment.

His son, Kenneth Chambrlain, Jr., was on Democracy Now with Amy Goodman, and filled in some details. The story is heartbreaking:

He’s saying that he’s OK. He’s saying that he did not call for them. But they were very insistent. They were banging on the door, banging on the door, banging on the door. So you hear one of the officers say to him, “Well, you pushed your—you triggered your alarm now.” He said, “That’s because I want you to leave me alone.” And they just kept telling him, “Open the door. Open the door. Let us see that you’re all right.” At some point, the door was cracked open, because the police officers have a taser that has a camera on it, and it also has audio. So you could see where the door was cracked open. So, once you’ve gotten a visual, and you’ve seen that my father is OK, and he’s telling you that he’s OK, why would you still insist on getting into the apartment? Which is the question that I have. And they weren’t responding to a crime. He was sleeping and accidentally triggered his alarm.

Ultimately, after using expletives and racial slurs, they broke down the door. You can see on the video from the taser that they fired a taser at him. And I’m assuming that both prongs didn’t go in. He stood about maybe eight to 10 feet away from them with his hands down to his side. And at one point, you hear one of the officers say, “Cut it off.” And it was at that point they shot and killed my father.

http://prospect.org/article/today-reasons-be-killed-if-youre-black

I hope the cop that shot him gets fired. But I know that might not happen.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Man accidentally sets off medical alert pendant, cops shoot him
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 03:16:54 pm »
Wow... that's some damn heavy stuff.  I hope justice is served.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 03:44:24 pm »
Kenneth Chamberlain, Sr., a 68-year-old African-American Marine veteran, was fatally shot in November by White Plains, NY, police who responded to a false alarm from his medical alert pendant. The officers broke down Chamberlain’s door, tasered him, and then shot him dead. Audio of the entire incident was recorded by the medical alert device in Chamberlain’s apartment.

His son, Kenneth Chambrlain, Jr., was on Democracy Now with Amy Goodman, and filled in some details. The story is heartbreaking:

He’s saying that he’s OK. He’s saying that he did not call for them. But they were very insistent. They were banging on the door, banging on the door, banging on the door. So you hear one of the officers say to him, “Well, you pushed your—you triggered your alarm now.” He said, “That’s because I want you to leave me alone.” And they just kept telling him, “Open the door. Open the door. Let us see that you’re all right.” At some point, the door was cracked open, because the police officers have a taser that has a camera on it, and it also has audio. So you could see where the door was cracked open. So, once you’ve gotten a visual, and you’ve seen that my father is OK, and he’s telling you that he’s OK, why would you still insist on getting into the apartment? Which is the question that I have. And they weren’t responding to a crime. He was sleeping and accidentally triggered his alarm.

Ultimately, after using expletives and racial slurs, they broke down the door. You can see on the video from the taser that they fired a taser at him. And I’m assuming that both prongs didn’t go in. He stood about maybe eight to 10 feet away from them with his hands down to his side. And at one point, you hear one of the officers say, “Cut it off.” And it was at that point they shot and killed my father.

http://prospect.org/article/today-reasons-be-killed-if-youre-black

I hope the cop that shot him gets fired. But I know that might not happen.

There needs to be an internal investigation, and everyone involved needs their ass off the fucking force.  Fucking...afjkdsjfsdkfjsdlfjdslkfjdsl

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Cloudy

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 04:06:53 pm »
That's horrible....such a pointless death.  I would be extremely disappointed if these guys get to remain on the force after this.  I mean, it sounds like there is pretty clear evidence that this man was doing nothing to warrant tasering or shooting him.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 05:52:31 pm »
Cowards.  Not just a defenseless man, but a god damned veteran.  Hey!  Ya know what, I had an idea.  They like shooting people so much, let's send them into a battlefield, wearing fluorescent orange jumpers, with nothing but pistols.  Oh, and the battlefield is crawling with angry Taliban and riddled to hell with IEDs.  Let's see how they like it when their potential victims shoot back.  With RPGs.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 07:06:26 pm »
http://www.thedailywhiteplains.com/news/police-fatally-shoot-disturbed-man-carrying-knife

Slow your roll dudes, it's not quite black and white as it looks
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 07:13:40 pm »
Hmm...he has a knife...they have tazers...but they go for their pistols...

Administrative leave and once it dies down they'll be back on the streets.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 07:18:34 pm »
Hmm...he has a knife...they have tazers...but they go for their pistols...

Administrative leave and once it dies down they'll be back on the streets.

The second article claims they tried to subdue him with tasers and a beanbag gun before he began swinging the knife at them.

Being that there are contradicting reports, I'd rather reserve judgment on this one.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 07:36:56 pm »
Unless the video is released we'll never know for sure.

And even then we'll probably never know for sure.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 07:48:05 pm »
*sighs* And of course the victim is black.

Is it jsut me, or has there been a surge of violence against black people lately?
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 10:57:12 pm »

Is it jsut me, or has there been a surge of violence against black people lately?

Oh yes, entirely unprovoked too. He didn't hit his emergency responder button. He didn't swing a hatchet at a door. The cops had absolutely no reason to be there let alone try to subdue him when he showed he was violent and ended up shooting him...

And you'll ignore all the things that happened to OWSers too I imagine.

There is no increase in harassment against anyone than there was before, just more being caught on tape and posted to the internet where people are willing to lose their shit without looking anything up
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 11:02:21 pm »

Oh yes, entirely unprovoked too. He didn't hit his emergency responder button. He didn't swing a hatchet at a door. The cops had absolutely no reason to be there let alone try to subdue him when he showed he was violent and ended up shooting him...

And you'll ignore all the things that happened to OWSers too I imagine.

There is no increase in harassment against anyone than there was before, just more being caught on tape and posted to the internet where people are willing to lose their shit without looking anything up

In most places you can be arrested for recording a cop. I wonder why they made that law?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 11:11:30 pm »
It doesn't matter if he was swinging a knife. Tazers, pepper spray, and other "nonlethal" forms of violence are supposed to be used instead of guns. That is, as a replacement for guns. The problem is, people think "nonlethal" means "I can use this as much as I want."

If they were proper policemen, they would have stopped at the tazer.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 11:20:19 pm »
Okay, so...maybe not put in front of the firing squad, but they should certainly lose their badges.  Unauthorized Use of Deadly Force.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 11:27:27 pm »
It doesn't matter if he was swinging a knife. Tazers, pepper spray, and other "nonlethal" forms of violence are supposed to be used instead of guns. That is, as a replacement for guns. The problem is, people think "nonlethal" means "I can use this as much as I want."

If they were proper policemen, they would have stopped at the tazer.

Yes, they are. And you notice, they used those first, resorting to a gun only when those other things were not effective. If the story is true. I have nothing to say on that matter.

But, if things did happen as the cops say, they did nothing wrong. They tried less-lethal means of subduing the man first, and only when those failed did they resort to deadly force.